• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Jan 11-14, 2024 Auction
3 3

267 posts in this topic

The MOD function in Excel is used to find remainder after division of one number (dividend) by another (divisor). In mathematics, this operation is called the modulo operation or modulus, hence the name MOD.

So given that the MOD function that just gives us the remainder, which may be zero (if A for example is $1000) then your equation, Mr Johnson, is not at all what Tim was referencing.:ph34r:

QED lol 

Edited by Bronty

On 12/30/2023 at 3:32 AM, Bronty said:

Now, I'm not a mathematician, so maybe I'm not understanding but I don't think those are the same.  

I think what Tim is saying (although we are going way way too deep here lol ) is that if

A= 10-99 then B = 40; and if

A = 100-999 then B = 400; and if

A = 1000-9999 then B = 4000; and if

A = 10000-99999 then B = 40000; etc.

Whereas in your scenario..

if MOD (80,40) is 2 per your explanation, then (40*MOD(A, 40)) = 40*2 = 80 which is not the intention.   

Tim's intention as I understand it is basically B = 4 x 10^n-1 where n= the number of digits left of the decimal place in A (when A is expressed without extraneous zeroes to the left).

Correct!  It's basically just my attempt to express "Whatever you think it's going to go for, double it and then add a lot more on top of that!" in mathematical terms.

The key is actually getting "A" (realistic estimate) correct.  If you're clueless and believe, for example, that a realistic estimate of a Ditko ASM page with Spidey in it is $10k, the formula won't work.

On 12/31/2023 at 12:49 PM, Dirtcheap31 said:So what’s everyone thinking on current prices in this auction what is performing better/lagging?

I think Mandel and Heritage should have inventoried and identified pieces from his collection as such in this auction and subsequent auctions.

the collection is among the best, and prices will reflect a premium.  Current prices on Mandel items in this auction are already strong 

On 1/11/2024 at 7:42 AM, gumbydarnit said:

money

Not expecting many new highs today but no “deals” either. The lots I’m following already seem expensive to me.  I’ll be interested in seeing the activity on lots after the “book” has maxed. 

On 1/11/2024 at 7:40 AM, gumbydarnit said:

WAKE UP... IT"S AUCTION DAY!!!!

I thought I smelled something in the air!  Hoo ah!