• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This place used to be so lively...what happened?
9 9

600 posts in this topic

On 11/26/2023 at 4:05 PM, namisgr said:

Imagine that.  You and I disagreed on something, and didn't continue to post and post and post and post about it, or revert to talking trash to one another.

How refreshing.

No, it's us.  It's gotta be us. 

We are the "bad" ones. 

On 11/26/2023 at 2:16 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I didn't read through everything - I'll probably go back and read it, but for now, I just wanted to address the original question (because I can't resist throwing in my 2c).

Since I got back into collecting, these forums are the only comic-related forums that I check in on and interact with on a basically daily basis. Even when I don't have enough time to actually post, I at least try to pop in and see what's going on every day.

I've tried a lot of other forums, as well as social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook and Reddit mostly), but the CGC forums have always had a different feel for me. I think it comes down to the fact that there is a wealth of knowledge throughout these forums, as well as a majority of users who act in good faith - people who legitimately enjoy the hobby and want to enhance their own and others' enjoyment. At first, I thought some of the rules were a bit archaic and "hokey" - I can't swear on the Internet? I can't read some threads because posts were removed for whatever reason? - but after a while, I understood it's due to the hard work of the mods here that we have a venue where the cream usually rises to the top. I can get plenty of contention, hurt feelings, badmouthing, political stuff, etc. on literally any other place if that's what I feel I'm missing. But when I come here, it's an outlet for shared enthusiasm in this crazy, niche hobby we all find ourselves a part of.

Maybe I'm being Pollyanna here. Maybe I missed the "heyday" of the CGC forums. But overall, I really enjoy this little corner of my digital footprint, and I appreciate the people who are here and who have a good time talking comics.

+1

I'll add that threads like this one are great for learning the first names of boardies. :hi:

On 11/26/2023 at 4:08 PM, ThothAmon said:

What really kills me though is the Vintage by his blarney makes so many positions I agree with seem wrong. 

I guess that depends on what someone considers "Blarney". 

People jumped all over me for 50 pages in the ESG discussion when I explained how it is affecting Disney's decision-making and by extension ruining their movies in the now locked Marvels thread. They rolled their eyes, accused me of conspiracy theory, wrent their clothes and yet nobody could refute my central point. In fact, Delekerste, who is the resident board expert on finance and economics agreed with my points publicly by liking them. :wink:

My point on how big corporate money and by extension decision-making is affecting the art form in comics in the Comic Stores 2024 thread? Nobody was able to refute it. Only pot shots and annoyance. Again, Delekerste agrees with me. Not such a lone wolf, am I?

Same with my points in this thread about using the ignore feature and sticking to respectful discourse. Nobody has stated that using the ignore feature or ignoring things they don't like is detrimental in any way. All they're able to argue with is that they don't have enough self control to do it. lol 

Did they stick to respectful discourse to make their points? :whistle:

It seems you don't disagree either. Maybe it's time for people to let bygones be bygones and bend what they believe to the facts rather than the other way around.

If irrefutable points are "Blarney" then I'll stick with the Blarney. 

For the record, I don't have any grudges. Genuinely. 

On 11/26/2023 at 4:24 PM, wombat said:

Question. I always assumed the specific sections (Golden Age, Magazines, etc.) had way more in depth discussion and much less "banter". But I only hang out in the magazine section other than general. Is my understanding generally true?

Yes

-bc

On 11/27/2023 at 4:24 AM, VintageComics said:

yet nobody could refute my central point....agreed with my points publicly by liking them...

Nobody was able to refute it...Delekerste agrees with me...

It seems you don't disagree either...If irrefutable points...

You have a sickness.

On 11/27/2023 at 4:24 AM, VintageComics said:

Maybe it's time for people to let bygones be bygones and bend what they believe to the facts rather than the other way around.

You don't post facts. You post your opinions. Based on other people's opinions. 

And no offense to Delekerste or anyone you hold up as an example of someone 'agreeing' with you... it doesn't prove squat.

Your constant need to be 'right' about everything has made you unbearable. 

On 11/26/2023 at 4:26 PM, bc said:
On 11/26/2023 at 4:24 PM, wombat said:

Question. I always assumed the specific sections (Golden Age, Magazines, etc.) had way more in depth discussion and much less "banter". But I only hang out in the magazine section other than general. Is my understanding generally true?

Yes

More or less, yes. 

And I think a lot of the Comics General regular banter has moved into those specialized forums. There is the odd dustup there, but not like outside of those forums.

I think one main reason there are constant dustups here is two-fold.

1) Because many think only through political lenses secretly, but because we can't argue politics they then argue in proxy to hide it. Everyone knows when that's happening. 

2) Most of the people who are at odds with each other don't even know the other person (or, they may in passing but don't really KNOW THEM). So they're quite literally arguing with an avatar and not a real person. lol

It's really all ridiculous when you step back.

If ANY two people who hate each other online just sat in a room with each other for an hour, they likely wouldn't be enemies after they left that room and frankly, that is exactly what happens at conventions if people allow it to. 

What these constant arguments are, is mental illness propagated by social media. It's not real life any more than social media is real life.