• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC submission: how do I request a Qualified grade?
3 3

18 posts in this topic

Hello there, Ask CGC forum. Long-time listener, first-time caller.  :)

How do I request a Qualified grade for a book I'm submitting? Is it enough to e.g. put a post-it on the bag so that the graders will see it? Or does it need to be somewhere on the order form, and if so, where?

Thanks very much,
Jon

• Administrator

Hello @Point Five,

HAHA Great introduction :grin:.

Our graders will use the qualified label when there is something missing from a book or if there is something in addition to the book that was not already there automatically. Can you send me some more information on what the book is and the reason for the green label request so I can review this with our graders? 

As for making these requests, yes, you would put a post-it note on the outside of the bag and board with this request for our graders to review. 

On 11/28/2023 at 8:21 AM, MattM CS said:

Hello @Point Five,

HAHA Great introduction :grin:.

Our graders will use the qualified label when there is something missing from a book or if there is something in addition to the book that was not already there automatically. Can you send me some more information on what the book is and the reason for the green label request so I can review this with our graders? 

As for making these requests, yes, you would put a post-it note on the outside of the bag and board with this request for our graders to review. 

Hi, thanks so much.  (thumbsu  I'm still putting together some submissions for December. I've got two GA books, both loosely somewhere in the VG range; one is missing its centerfold and one has a few small interior cutouts. Before they go out I'll be sure to flag both issues with post-its.  

On 11/28/2023 at 7:03 AM, Point Five said:

Hi, thanks so much.  (thumbsu  I'm still putting together some submissions for December. I've got two GA books, both loosely somewhere in the VG range; one is missing its centerfold and one has a few small interior cutouts. Before they go out I'll be sure to flag both issues with post-its.  

I got your Point Five right here:

DS27Q05.thumb.JPG.19276474c772a2c0375523351f1cdc1c.JPG

:roflmao:

I didn't even need to ask for a Qualified label!!

On 11/28/2023 at 10:16 PM, Yorick said:

I got your Point Five right here:

DS27Q05.thumb.JPG.19276474c772a2c0375523351f1cdc1c.JPG

:roflmao:

I didn't even need to ask for a Qualified label!!

This is puzzling. I thought the Qualified grade meant that some key flaw was set aside in determining the grade. Surely the book is nicer than a .5 overall, not counting the interior page problem?

On 11/28/2023 at 8:58 PM, Point Five said:

This is puzzling. I thought the Qualified grade meant that some key flaw was set aside in determining the grade. Surely the book is nicer than a .5 overall, not counting the interior page problem?

+1

I'm also confused by this qualified grade. 

The graders notes say nothing different than the label does.

All other examples of a 0.5 Qualified book I've just looked at on Heritage have a married component that's also noted on the label.

Strange.

On 11/29/2023 at 12:51 AM, grendelbo said:

+1

I'm also confused by this qualified grade. 

The graders notes say nothing different than the label does.

All other examples of a 0.5 Qualified book I've just looked at on Heritage have a married component that's also noted on the label.

Strange.

Yep, I'm no expert, but seems like a mistake, and that it should have been either a Universal .5, or e.g. a Qualified 3.0.

On 11/29/2023 at 8:26 AM, Pontoon said:

Yup. Base on my understanding of a Qualified book, a Qualified .5 makes no sense.

Unless it's married, right?

lf.jpeg.263113632b92a438cb75cb97e2f047ca.jpeg

lf(1).thumb.jpeg.516c6113ac367b44ea4fdbbab42454cb.jpeg

lf(2).thumb.jpeg.89f50055174561a19557c8e92ce3529e.jpeg

@zzutak @The Lions Den @Funnybooks

you can avoid an otherwise low universal grade by requesting the qualified grade if the book is otherwise a mid-high grade copy... sans the qualification

in other words, the book would have been high grade if not for missing piece/pages(s),wraps, married, unwitnessed writing/sig, etc

Edited by Funnybooks

Oh boy, here we go again into the wormhole of the CGC grading system...  :cry:

Prior to 2022, a missing piece or pieces out of an interior page (or pages) wouldn't be deemed incomplete unless the piece or pieces were larger than 2" x 2" and affected the story or an ad. So that explains that part of it, which does appear to be correct. 

But as I recall, a Qualified .5 usually means there's an additional major flaw (such as a married cover) which results in the .5 grade (which can't be Qualified because of the first major flaw). 

Or, as I can't resist pointing out, the fact that there are 3 pages with large pieces out should actually count as 3 major flaws, not just one. To me, the idea that several pages or pieces can be missing and still fall under one umbrella has always been confusing, and something I have a tough time accepting as a rational resolution.

In any case, I'd have CGC review the book again, because it is possible that they were going to give it the Universal label and someone just made a simple mistake...   (shrug)

On 11/29/2023 at 11:09 AM, zzutak said:

The label notes on the DS #27 are all capped -- which means that the CGC Grader intended this book to be encapsulated with a Green Label.  So this is more than just a simple Encapsulation Room ("used the wrong color label") error.  :ohnoez:

Very true; this one is on the graders. And they may have actually made the right call...  :whistle:

Sadly, this book is famously only collected for the story on pages 9, 10 and 11. You might as well crack the thing out and send it to me.  :whatev: 

On 12/2/2023 at 8:46 PM, ArcherC said:

@Point Five What is the notoriety behind the book? 

Glad you asked! Diary Secrets #27 has a classic cover by Matt Baker, a 1940s/1950s good-girl/romance artist with a strong cult following among golden age collectors. Baker nuts know that some issues are rarer than others, and this is one of the really tough ones.

On 12/2/2023 at 5:46 PM, ArcherC said:

@Point Five What is the notoriety behind the book? 

On 12/2/2023 at 5:54 PM, Point Five said:

Glad you asked! Diary Secrets #27 has a classic cover by Matt Baker, a 1940s/1950s good-girl/romance artist with a strong cult following among golden age collectors. Baker nuts know that some issues are rarer than others, and this is one of the really tough ones.

Also of importance to note, only the cover is "new" for that issue.  The interiors for nearly all of "Diary Secrets" is reprint material.  Having chunks of interior pages missing is not too important unless you care about that box number in the top left corner of the slab case.  (thumbsu  The other aspect (that Green label) is the funny part.  If a book is so damaged that it receives a 0.5 grade, there is no reason to "qualify" the grade.  It is already considered not complete.