• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Kirby art results
3 3

125 posts in this topic

On 3/7/2024 at 2:34 AM, drdroom said:

Back to the topic at hand, Comiclink results:

Glory Boat splash: 48,262 hammer.

Kamandi 16 DPS: 16,250 hammer.

What do we think? To me Glory Boat was a good deal for the buyer, Kamandi about right or a little low.

I agree on the Glory Boat. If that was a Marvel page with, say, the Fantastic Four, it probably goes for double. 

On 3/7/2024 at 5:53 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I agree on the Glory Boat. If that was a Marvel page with, say, the Fantastic Four, it probably goes for double. 

Quadruple! It's the climatic page of of one of the top five or so greatest 4th world issues. In FF terms, it's a whole team splash from #52 or something.

I read someone comment - perhaps in another OA forum or in social media - that the Kirby Avengers #1 page was a weak result.

As a kid growing up in the 80's, I do have some nostalgia for Kenner Super Powers.  Pure Kirby pencils from the 1985 series featuring Superman and Firestorm just sold for "only" $1250 which I feel is a bargain for pencils and large art.  But that's just me - I used to have two Super Powers pages that I disposed to cover my wedding expenses in 2015.  Maybe at these low prices, I would be in the market for again and there is one coming up for auction in Heritage soon.  

Hmmmm....

On 3/10/2024 at 6:06 PM, drdroom said:

Which Kirby deal would you choose? Left: 18,750. on Heritage. Right: 16,250. on Comiclink.ScreenShot2024-03-10at10_59_37AM.thumb.png.1a90314c3d8011d2badb805dbcaee6dd.png

Kamandi DPS for me . . . though I do like the 2001 page.  Kamandi and The Demon were the only two (DC) Kirby books I actually followed in the 1970s.

On 3/11/2024 at 3:25 AM, The Voord said:

Kamandi DPS for me . . . though I do like the 2001 page.  Kamandi and The Demon were the only two (DC) Kirby books I actually followed in the 1970s.

I was presenting this as a ridiculous no-brainer: panel page with no one on it vs DPS featuring title character at lower price!? But maybe I'm missing something. The 2001 page has Kirby's variation on the famous bone-to-spacecraft cut--does that seem valuable?  I'm just really trying to understand this result ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

On 3/11/2024 at 3:26 PM, drdroom said:

I was presenting this as a ridiculous no-brainer: panel page with no one on it vs DPS featuring title character at lower price!? But maybe I'm missing something. The 2001 page has Kirby's variation on the famous bone-to-spacecraft cut--does that seem valuable?  I'm just really trying to understand this result ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

My guess is that it’s a fresh to market situation. That DPS was on a dealers site for quite a while at a much higher price (a little more than double its sale price). I was present at a couple conventions where I happened to notice that it was shown (shopped?) to a couple  other dealers, too. Maybe that got them to not bid, making the market lighter? Just guesses, but I think those put downward pressure on that piece. I’ve noticed a couple other dealer pages that had similar prices and discussions, so maybe that’s a thing?