• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HUGE increase in CGC Grading fees
2 2

31 posts in this topic

Admittedly, I have not submitted any of my Comics for CGC grading in over a decade. I submitted two books at the high value tier, at a fee of $85. Frankly, they were nice books, and I had actually hoped to send them to Joeypost for pressing before I sent them to CGC. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the time to do so and wanted them before the Christmas rush to be graded. Trying to anticipate questions, the books were a Flash 110 and an Action 242.

This morning I get an email that I have been moved to a walk-through tier and that they have increased my Fee for grading the two books to nearly $1300.

I called to ask about what it happened, and Nicole was actually helpful in explaining what had taken place, but she was unable to tell me what the grades are that prompted over $1000 fee increase. It is just amazing to me that the fee is so high. 

Edited by comicparadox
Paragraph insertion, and added the books in question.

On 12/12/2023 at 7:47 AM, comicparadox said:

Trying to anticipate questions, the books were a Flash 110 and an Action 242.

:whatthe:

An Action Comics #242 in 2.0 would be appropriate for the High Value tier, but anything better than than should be submitted under Unlimited Value.  What reference(s) do you use to estimate the FMV of your books? 

Well that's good and bad news.  Good news is you are getting much higher grades than you expected as they base the fee on 4% of Fair Market Value.  So your books together are worth $1300 x 25 =  whooping $32,500!!!

Bad news is you owe them $1300.  

Depending on how much you put into it, I'd take that all day everyday.  

On 12/12/2023 at 11:52 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

$32,500!!!

Hear that?  It’s the world’s tiniest violin. Lol. Looking at GPA they should grade at or near top of census. Imagine if Joey had gotten ahold of them first  Congratulations on a great problem. 

IMG_0507.png

IMG_0508.jpeg

On 12/12/2023 at 3:25 PM, Axelrod said:

It's kind of criminal for them to charge such huge fees based on what they think the books are worth.  I mean, you really ought to be able to submit a book and just say, please grade this, and get it done for a flat fee. Not like the service changes.  They are not an auction house to be demanding a cut of the total value like this.  

Now, if you want insurance, that's a whole different ball game.  I understand declaring a value, and then they might have to charge more to cover the insurance.  But if you want to set your own "risk" level as far as that goes, they shouldn't be bumping you up because they decide the books are more valuable than what you decided.  

Meh.  What do I know.  I guess this happens everywhere, but still annoys me.  

It is criminal honestly. Just put a higher flat fee on it and be done with it.

On 12/12/2023 at 5:47 PM, fastballspecial said:

It is criminal honestly. Just put a higher flat fee on it and be done with it.

seems to me the upswing in fees is not in proportion to their increased insurance costs and not that they would ever do it because they are a highly ethical organization that provides a chat board for us to express ourselves on (within limits), but in every other business them getting paid more because they gave you what is, in effect, a higher appraisal, seems to be a conflict of interest. An Action 242 is not more difficult to grade than an Action 249, right? Is this possibly justified by increased liability if they screw something up and miss resto? Can CGC even be liable? Have they ever been? It is always just their opinion. I guess if the book is an outright forgery or pieces added that isn't a matter of opinion. Anyway, just pondering

On 12/12/2023 at 6:01 PM, JollyComics said:

$1300 increase fee for two books?  That's a lawyer's fee.  No wonder I wouldn't afford the lawyer.

My jeweler charges a straight fee for a $1,000 diamond or a $30,000 diamond. I suppose at some point he may charge more. I thought house appraisers were about the size of the house, not the value. I'm just trying to understand this.

On 12/12/2023 at 2:25 PM, Axelrod said:

It's kind of criminal for them to charge such huge fees based on what they think the books are worth.  I mean, you really ought to be able to submit a book and just say, please grade this, and get it done for a flat fee. Not like the service changes.  They are not an auction house to be demanding a cut of the total value like this.  

Now, if you want insurance, that's a whole different ball game.  I understand declaring a value, and then they might have to charge more to cover the insurance.  But if you want to set your own "risk" level as far as that goes, they shouldn't be bumping you up because they decide the books are more valuable than what you decided.  

Meh.  What do I know.  I guess this happens everywhere, but still annoys me.  

Bingo.

"Third-party" my arse!! :censored:

So I guess CGC is doing this on ALL books that graded higher than expected now? So if we don’t see the higher charge for their work, then we didn’t get any grade bumps I guess 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

At what point did they hit you up with the higher charge? My TOD 10, that Joey absolutely KNOCKED OUT OF THE PARK, got the increased charge on the first night they had the damn book.  Didn’t even see the grade for 3 days.

On 12/12/2023 at 8:55 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to that fee credit for overvaluing a 1.8 that CGC sent back to me as a 1.0

:makepoint:

🤣🤣🤣 the tax man never pays you back, but always likes to collect

Ok; so I can confirm that if this happens, you’re likely getting the email at 1:06 am Eastern Time.

I’ve gotten it 3 times now and all 3 times: it was at 1:06 am Eastern Time.

@comicparadox when did they send you the email?  I’m glad they moved fast for you, and they did for my first one too.  However, my latest set has been stuck for 2 days now at the Grading/QC step; there are 2 other books in that batch I THOUGHT would be slam dunks, and those are the only ones they didn’t email me about.

Holding out hope they are still debating those 2 🤪.

Edited by Cnight

On 12/14/2023 at 12:12 PM, Cnight said:

Ok; so I can confirm that if this happens, you’re likely getting the email at 1:06 am Easter Time.

I’ve gotten it 3 times now and all 3 times: it was at 1:06 am Easter Time.

@comicparadox when did they send you the email?  

You are prescient. It was a 1:06 am email.