• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 12/21/2023 at 7:51 PM, Changer said:

whoa, so I saw the feedback, the buyer feed back in particular. I wonder if any knows comicbookstation 

they would have his address since he bought something from them , and would be able to get the address and name 

FEEDBACK
FEEDBACK FROM SELLER WHEN

awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
More than a year ago

A++ ebayer thanks for understanding
More than a year ago

Great ebayer always a pleasure
More than a year ago

more interesting 188 eckford street brooklyn ny to forest hills ny - Google Search is a 20 minute drive. 

On 12/21/2023 at 7:51 PM, JC25427N said:

I didn't keep the address and ebay doesn't give me anything about that order anymore except for my own address at the time and the tracking number which doesn't work anymore, but I think I remember it coming from Phoenix AZ, I remember religiously looking at the tracking at time since it was a big book for me at the time (It was the Campbell variant for Siege #3)

Would your Cert be 0167608001 or 1162245010?

On 12/21/2023 at 8:03 PM, paqart said:

Comic Book Station: listed as someone who gave ZaneGlor positive review as buyer

On 12/21/2023 at 8:01 PM, Heronext said:

Where did 188 eckford street come from?  Very close to me

I found interesting of the 2 unique reviews one was to a comic shop on ebay that was 20 minutes aways. 

On 12/21/2023 at 10:59 PM, agamoto said:

Would your Cert be 0167608001 or 1162245010?

Neither, although I don't own it anymore, I've since sold it along with most of my other comics about a year ago but I still have a picture of it. I use to have a sizable Campbell collection in the registry

Edited by JC25427N

On 12/21/2023 at 9:06 PM, brute_nm said:

@AbsoluteCarnage, this is a long shot, but do you happen to still have a box with seller's return address? That could be really helpful to investigators.

Edit: obviously don't share it here - share it with law enforcement. I was just wondering

I was responding to someone that mentioned that the seller made their feedback private and we couldn't see it anymore that I had posted it before that happened in this thread. Not "Actually posted it" myself. I never bought anything from this seller.

On 12/21/2023 at 11:40 PM, Every Day A Story said:

Even more shenigans, just how deep does this rabbit hole go?

...the question is...

...where is CGC?

Yes, it now looks like the same person is pulling multiple types of scams. He has been found out, but not identified. I am sure there are more people out there. Unfortunately, even though CGC is essentially getting scammed also, they are presenting themselves as the authority here, so it becomes their responsibility to tighten up book security. It is also reasonable to say they should not be missing some of the things there are.

On 12/21/2023 at 11:50 PM, drotto said:

Yes, it now looks like the same person is pulling multiple types of scams. He has been found out, but not identified. I am sure there are more people out there. Unfortunately, even though CGC is essentially getting scammed also, they are presenting themselves as the authority here, so it becomes their responsibility to tighten up book security. It is also reasonable to say they should not be missing some of the things there are.

for sure. but if this guy has been doing this for decade(s) there's no way he kept it to himself. we are just looking at this one seller's history because it was caught and a starting point to search from, but now that people's antennae are up maybe we find another seller who can tangibly be found doing something similar. if there's 1 bad actor that's one thing if there's 2 there's no reason to think there isn't more, over the course of years.

I think CGC is doing the right thing by waiting to put all the facts together before commenting publicly.  Any bashing of CGC or 3PG in general is not helpful to the thread.  What is helpful to the thread is all the crowd-sourced online sleuthing and detective work that is going on here.   

On 12/21/2023 at 11:55 PM, Heronext said:

I have a suspect in mind.  Could be a Richard Jewell moment though

I speculate it is not someone within CGC, but is a person very well known to them, and they have a long standing relationship. So there is a level of trust, and things are expediated for them. They know how CGC works, and the know where the weak spots are. I think it is likely this individual has 100's if not 1000's of submissions over the years. 

On 12/21/2023 at 9:14 PM, drotto said:

I speculate it is not someone within CGC, but is a person very well known to them, and they have a long standing relationship. So there is a level of trust, and things are expediated for them. They know how CGC works, and the know where the weak spots are. I think it is likely this individual has 100's if not 1000's of submissions over the years. 

CGC was bought for its brand, this is massive damage if raw is now perceived safer than graded. I imagine this is a huge issue to the new owner , and who at cgc is approving all these mechanical defect and not noticing a pattern. 

worthpoint and gocollect is going to get some business ,

Edited by Changer

On 12/21/2023 at 11:14 PM, drotto said:

I think you are correct, and high value submissions at that.  I think he is a valuable client to both CGC and Ebay.  I would speculate that he sells the same books over and over again because he shill bids his auctions and then claims non-payment if his shill-bid account wins.  Ebay probably turns a blind eye to the high non-payment percentage because they make enough from the completed sales to not care.  All of this is speculation.  

Edited by Nick Furious

On 12/21/2023 at 11:14 PM, drotto said:

The problem is that if the CGC employee is going against CGC policy to please this person, then they are complicit in this scam as well. What I mean is that if CGC policy is to regrade the book to verify the Mark Jeweler insert (even if they missed the designation the first time), then they can't give this guy a pass because they know him. This is how they got in trouble with Ewert. It's like me telling CGC that they should change the grade on my book to a 9.6 or 9.8 because the grader notes they provided make no sense. At minimum, CGC will say we'll regrade the book at our expense to verify. They will not say, "oh, you're right, the grader notes say there's a large fingerprint on the front cover, and because it isn't there, then you get the grade you want".