• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,029 posts in this topic

On 12/23/2023 at 1:08 AM, drotto said:

I can see tables of grading experts called as witnesses to argue over books in court.  Could be very entertaining.

Does grading over a screen count? hm  I could see comicwiz representing the CGC forums and giving the climactic Jack Nicholson you-need-me-on-that-wall speech at trial. 

What if there was nothing exploitable with the slab cases at all? What if someone on the inside was helping the seller get the lower grade books straight through to the reholder slabbing and matching the books to certification numbers of HG books the seller already owns?

The seller may not even crack the HG book out and swap books in slabs. He could just be telling the insider what numbers to use for each book he sends to the insider.

There would need be an investigation of CGC's internal controls and separation of duties. (shrug)

On 12/23/2023 at 2:16 AM, Timed said:

As mentioned before, zaneglor has stated they have 30 plus years in comics. Would not be surprised. 

Well wasn't it mentioned before, that in the slab model used just before the change in 2016, the label was actually attached as part of the inner well. So with our current running theory of how this scam is working (replacing the inner wells of slabs), I don't think it would have been possible to do this exact exploit before the the slab iteration post July 2016. 

Edited by JC25427N

On 12/23/2023 at 1:42 AM, PassDaMike said:

I can’t believe I read all of this. 
@comics yes please.

Also hopefully it was not skipped, posted earlier by someone else, that the supposed scammer returned funds today:

Just to be clear, the scammer did not return funds, at least not yet. He "accepted" the return (maybe forced by eBay?), so now the buyer needs to send the book back to briva3. 

Lawyers, are these fraudulent slabs considered evidence - is it safe to return the books back to briva3? hm

On 12/23/2023 at 6:42 PM, PassDaMike said:

I can’t believe I read all of this. 
@comics yes please.

Also hopefully it was not skipped, posted earlier by someone else, that the supposed scammer returned funds today:

The extent of the damage this guy is doing across the hobby is looking pretty substantial.

Eroding confidence in the security processes of CGC is very tangible, with multiple instagram, and YouTube channels covering this topic on an ongoing basis, as more swapped out books are being discovered.

@CGC Mike what is currently happening within CGC in response to this expanding situation?

On 12/23/2023 at 3:24 AM, agamoto said:

The FF12 is a funny one. He sells it to himself in march for $9500, submits it to CGC and gets a new holder and sells it again in May for half the price.

Great work! Thanks for posting all the pics and info.

It appears to me that this guy was always shady, but not as sophisticated with his scams as he is today. He was more into shill bidding and things of that nature. For example, he would've definitely tried to exchange that PLOD with blue label if he could.

When did he start selling the Hulk 181's? That would give us an idea when the major operation started.

I keep thinking about what 9.9newsstand said about the guy bragging that his CGC guy lets him know how many newsstand or Mark Jewelers (l can't remember) have been graded for certain issues. I wonder if this info is easy to access for all CGC employees (since the designations were put on the labels). Can they just type up Hulk 181 and all the submissions for this issue and notes pop up?

Edited by skybolt

On 12/23/2023 at 3:43 AM, skybolt said:

I keep thinking about what 9.9newsstand said about the guy bragging that his CGC guy lets him know how many newsstand or Mark Jewelers (l can't remember) have been graded. I wonder if this info is easy to access for all CGC employees (since the designations were put on the labels). Can they just type up Hulk 181 and all the submissions for this issue and notes pop up?

Oh I'm sure they have a rather detailed database and I suspect they keep private notes on certain books, information not included in the grader's notes. 

Below is the first CGC book I could find posted to ebay and sold by our friend, for what it's worth. I was able to find this ad by looking up phrases that were unique to his later ads. Nov 2006. 

image.png

Edited by agamoto

On 12/22/2023 at 11:10 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Wait, why is this not being talked about:

Wasn't posted in this thread so likely missed.

The guy was getting a refund, whether by the seller or PayPal.  That was assumed.  Good thing seller stepped up though.

The real problem worthy of discussion is CGC's enabling of this fraud.

Edited by Sigur Ros