• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,031 posts in this topic

I can’t believe this has reached 100 pages without any comment from CGC. Not so much as a ‘we are aware of this situation and are investigating the concerns raised by the collector community. The inherent promise reflected by our grading process and guarantee is the most valuable thing to our business, and will investigate all concerns accordingly.’

Shocking we haven’t heard anything. Cgc is failing its customers and this hobby.

On 12/23/2023 at 7:44 PM, JollyComics said:
On 12/23/2023 at 11:49 AM, sledgehammer said:

Interesting.

I found a "B. Riva", in Forest Hills NY,  but that one is 93 years old.

Identity thief?

I'm a b. Riva! I couldn't Riva if I tried! ~ monkeys

On 12/23/2023 at 7:04 PM, chrispark76 said:

His first name is Brees, which i found from the box label when he shipped me a Hulk 340 9.8 i won on Oct 24, 2023. When i received the book I found that the book had 4 or 5 color breaking spine ticks along it's black spine and was disappointed that this book was able to be graded a 9.8 by CGC. The book was at most a borderline 9.0 or 9.2 at most.

Luckily Brees allowed refunds on his ebay auctions, and I was able to return and get a partial refund (lost around $200 Cdn due to exchange rate and shipping costs). I tried looking for his address, but the book was shipped back to Ebay Global Shipping hub location at Glendale Heights IL, which was then forwarded to his Forest Hills home.

Fortunately I feel lucky that i was able to recoup almost 90% of the book, unlike others here who were scammed thousands for much higher books. It looks like he was not just swapping out golden age books, or MJ newsstands, but also common books like Hulk 340s.

I messaged him for refund and you can see in the ebay history how he tried to justify his scam by saying lots of CGC 9.8s have spine ticks. Read below.

brees.png

Tracking number shows it was sent from a USPS in Kew Gardens NY

I think it's pretty certain I've nailed down the name as Bree Riva . Might be the same one we asked @BigLeagueCHEW to take down because it seemed premature. Lived in Arizona. Lives in NY, that city.

36 years old.

On 12/23/2023 at 4:45 PM, Taxi Driver said:

See that's the issue! I get it we want to do our due diligence, however, every day we don't expose this guy to the MASSES, someone is probably getting taken! The evidence is there, the guy needs to be called out. 

This is a great point.  I haven't read all the posts in this thread but has the identity and real name of this seller been exposed?  I know I've seen his ebay listings for many years.  Is he a big-time dealer from the east coast that sets up at conventions?  Is he well known in the collecting community?  Does he have a personal relationship with any CGC employees?  Lots of interesting information that needs to come forth... hm  

On 12/23/2023 at 7:53 PM, mosconi said:

This is a great point.  I haven't read all the posts in this thread but has the identity and real name of this seller been exposed?  I know I've seen his ebay listings for many years.  Is he a big-time dealer from the east coast that sets up at conventions?  Is he well known in the collecting community?  Does he have a personal relationship with any CGC employees?  Lots of interesting information that needs to come forth... hm  

Yes.

Edited by sledgehammer

On 12/23/2023 at 7:51 PM, JollyComics said:

Maybe Brianna Riva.

I was scammed by two different women on eBay before.

Ya I was going to say idk as many males named Bree specifically unless it was short for something, so I guess it bares in mind to finish...

"Then I saw her face!" :whistle:

On 12/23/2023 at 8:01 PM, agamoto said:

Well now that the fellow has been effectively doxxed, CGC does have more of an excuse to lock/delete the thread. I hope that doesn't happen.

Also, Bree is a Scorpio! Oooh!

Only a matter of time since one of his customers got here, right?

On 12/23/2023 at 5:54 PM, sledgehammer said:

Yes.

I would assume any other big time dealers that have had transactions with him will be looking over their inventory very carefully and contacting him for some answers if they still have the books in stock.  And how do we know if he has direct connections with any CGC employees at this point? 

On 12/23/2023 at 8:03 PM, agamoto said:

True enough, and he brought receipts... Which I'll add to... Here's the back of his 9.8 book.

You can really see how pathetic the back cover is, here.

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4286817003/

On 12/23/2023 at 8:04 PM, mosconi said:

I would assume any other big time dealers that have had transactions with him will be looking over their inventory very carefully and contacting him for some answers if they still have the books in stock.  And how do we know if he has direct connections with any CGC employees at this point? 

I edited to bold the question I was responding to.

On 12/23/2023 at 7:29 PM, brute_nm said:

I'm not sure about marrying inserts but Automatic Comics found a strong possibility of marrying a single wrap:

It's different because it got a new cert #, which means it was freshly graded, not reholdered like his other (alleged) scams. So for it to get a blue label from a fresh grade, it would've had to have a wrap married in to complete the book.

Is there some way of being certain that I book hasn't been re-holdered?  I'm not buying one of the premises in this video...that not having a record of two sales of the same cert means it wasn't re-holdered.  There are many venues for buying books that don't end up getting the Cert number recorded on GPA.  I still think that re-holdering is more likely than marrying, unless we can confirm that didn't happen.