• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 12/24/2023 at 4:53 PM, BrashL said:

There's another simple solution to this that no one has brought up. Every certification gets a picture online and grading notes. Whoever is making the purchase can verify for themselves if the book in the slab is the one that was graded. It's inexcusable now that that every slab doesn't have notes of some kind, but even more so going forward. (And it might even help the consistency of grading!)

Yes CGC's laziness on grader's notes is a real annoyance. And when they do include them they are often just copy/pasted across multiple books and inaccurate. If nothing else this fiasco will hopefully light a fire under CGC execs to clean up their act.

On 12/25/2023 at 11:10 AM, sledgehammer said:

It's still not out of the realm of possibility that the same switch happened on an ACTUAL  9.8 MJ insert copy of the book.

If so, he would now have TWO of them.

So far, I haven't seen any sign of where the 12/13/23 sale occured. Not ebay or heritage. More manipulation BS??

Not sure if this is out of line to ask. Can you say where the ASM 301 9.8 MJ insert sale on 12/13/23 happened?

Certainly understand if you can't.

Nevermind.

Edited by sledgehammer
corrected

On 12/25/2023 at 12:23 PM, mephistopheles said:

Yes CGC's laziness on grader's notes is a real annoyance. And when they do include them they are often just copy/pasted across multiple books and inaccurate. If nothing else this fiasco will hopefully light a fire under CGC execs to clean up their act.

I wouldn't be suprised if Blackstone sells CCG in the near future like 1-2 years from now.

BTW why did CGC move back to their old facilities ?

On 12/24/2023 at 5:02 PM, Lightning55 said:

It's been brought up, and shot down.

Only recently have their been images available, and even then, the scammed reholder is probably showing the current book it is holding in the image, not the original one that was removed. So only false comfort there.

Grading notes for 9.8's - good luck finding such an animal.

How about a photo with each rehholder, but they keep the original on file and accessible?

On 12/25/2023 at 12:28 PM, sledgehammer said:

Not sure if this is out of line to ask. Can you say where the ASM 301 9.8 MJ insert sale on 12/13/23 happened?

Certainly understand if you can't.

That link i posted ended on that date. Best offer might have been the recorded sale.

Edited by AbsoluteCarnage

On 12/25/2023 at 11:32 AM, AbsoluteCarnage said:

I don't know the site but there is one where you can check the BO price

I missed that. If you want, edit out the call to GPA. I did on my post.

On 12/25/2023 at 11:31 AM, AbsoluteCarnage said:

That link i posted ended on that date. Best offer might have been the recorded sale.

Who buys that book NOW?

:fear:

On 12/25/2023 at 11:40 AM, migmtl76 said:

I bet alot of collectors have no idea this swap thing is going on....

Especially on 12/13/23.

But somebody probably knew the :censored: was hitting the fan.

True. Unfortunately those of us here make up just a small ratio of the collecting community. I've never been one to just buy a book based on the grade assigned though as I crack most of my purchases to get signed and need them to retain the grade for the most part anyway. Hopefully most are taking a good look at front and back scans when buying something. 

On 12/25/2023 at 11:53 AM, AbsoluteCarnage said:

True. Unfortunately those of us here make up just a small ratio of the collecting community. I've never been one to just buy a book based on the grade assigned though as I crack most of my purchases to get signed and need them to retain the grade for the most part anyway. Hopefully most are taking a good look at front and back scans when buying something. 

We could get a much better look if mycomicshop gives access to sold books.

It sure did look way too bad to be a 9.8 on the ebay scan.

It doesn't show up as a sale on ebay, so it seems like it happened on their site?

Edited by sledgehammer

On 12/25/2023 at 11:46 PM, paqart said:

Stolen merchandise... not the same thing.

I guess... we'll just have to wait and see.