• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 12/28/2023 at 4:51 AM, agamoto said:

Too many powerful players with too much money tied to the value of their encased books. I don't think they're done, but it sure as heck better at least level the playing field on resale value. Honestly, how is this any worse than CBCS losing a couple hundred submissions and grading from home or PGX and all their catalog of goof-ups?

All of those screw-ups are appalling, but this casts doubt on every CGC'd book.

On 12/27/2023 at 12:49 PM, Steven Valdez said:

Joke as we may (and I do) but I don't see CGC recovering from this. They're done.

Unless what we've seen so far leads to something MUCH bigger... and to be fair I think the jury's still out... I see them recovering from this. Slabbing is a massive business now, and the numbers we've seen **so far** are small.

There's also the question of what kind of scandal would 'cut through', be picked up by media and word of mouth and do larger damage to their brand. Something outlandish like a compromised Action #1 would probably be a bigger story than '.2% of the pool of copies of a handful of random bronze and copper keys'.

On 12/27/2023 at 12:52 PM, BrashL said:

I don’t know how you can say that given what we know. For all we know all those 9.8s with 4 spine ticks people have been complaining about for years are all case switches. I think the books go into the thousands at the very least. 

But yeah you're right and I wonder if those 9.8s are what I've been dodging for so long when buying books to get signed and re-slabbed. Alot of bad 9.8s out there.

On 12/28/2023 at 5:01 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

CGC will be fine. They'll take a small hit to their reputation and maybe their bottom line. Unfortunately, most of those submitting won't even know about this scandal. There are so many CGC fan communities that will be insulated from this. I got the ban hammer from the CGC fan page on Facebook for just mentioning this scandal. And that's a group with 37,000 members, that the mods there are keeping in the dark.

Immaculate Comics' recent video should be enough to put the fear of god into anyone. :flamed:

What a complete mess - I just saw the video

worst fears realized

they would need to track down the last 3-5 years of books (at minimum) that have been reholdered

like someone else said, they have millions of dollars in inventory that can't be used in the current state unless they take measures to prevent the fraud that has happened

so that will likely result in cost/time - which ultimately will impact the buyer

I am so glad i stopped submitting books when their prices changed, i would hate to be a seller of any cgc graded book at this time

On 12/27/2023 at 10:01 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

CGC will be fine. They'll take a small hit to their reputation and maybe their bottom line. Unfortunately, most of those submitting won't even know about this scandal. There are so many CGC fan communities that will be insulated from this. I got the ban hammer from the CGC fan page on Facebook for just mentioning this scandal. And that's a group with 37,000 members, that the mods there are keeping in the dark.

Holy hell, really? Banned?! Why the hell would they do that? Are they crazy? This is something everyone should be aware of. 

On 12/27/2023 at 12:03 PM, agamoto said:

Holy hell, really? Banned?! Why the hell would they do that? Are they crazy? This is something everyone should be aware of. 

they have done it before - anything deemed negative on social media will ban you from their groups

i forgot what the last thing CGC did that cause a few people to come to the boards and mentioned they had been banned etc

On 12/27/2023 at 1:01 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

Could you clarify whether the CGC fan page on Facebook is actually administered/moderated by them or just some fans?

On 12/27/2023 at 10:05 AM, jsilverjanet said:

they have done it before - anything deemed negative on social media will ban you from their groups

i forgot what the last thing CGC did that cause a few people to come to the boards and mentioned they had been banned etc

I don't really participate in social media, so I guess that kinda surprises me. 

On 12/27/2023 at 12:57 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

Um...so do you think this is also happening with Voldy's slabs? This could be widespread across the grading industry.

Not sure about that, but I bet it crosses over to the slabs for cards and maybe coins. So this does go beyond comics.

On 12/27/2023 at 1:05 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Hey, they're keeping their group over there a happy and positive place. Unlike y'all riffraff and troublemakers. (tsk)