• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 12/28/2023 at 11:40 AM, Stefan_W said:

Yeah. It seems that in the 164 pages and counting of discussion in this thread there is a divide between people who do not believe that work is being done behind the scenes and those who are aware of it, are helping a bit, or assume their is a beehive of activity at CGC right now. assume it is or are a part of it. Having worked in an area where very public things hit the fan I totally understand the high pressure on the staff dealing with this current scam, and I am pretty positive people are not only working their collective butts off trying to piece everything together but that some of them may have even worked through the holidays (this last part is a guess). Others continue to argue that just because a statement has not come out yet that things are being swept under the rug and this situation is being ignored until it blows over. I don't see this division ending for a while. 

Right. And I think most people here ARE aware that there is 'work' going on behind the scenes because this is a pretty big deal. And it's very much appreciated.

Some posters just feel the need to lord over others with their 'insider' knowledge.

Edited by Prince Namor
Christmas Spirit

On 12/27/2023 at 10:37 PM, wombat said:

Do we know if any of the reholders were submitted after scans started?

Unless I don't understand you, this all started because we could see that an ASM 252 that had been reholdered with a custom label had a different comic inside the cert #, because CGC had scanned the lower grade comic in to the grader's notes.

Edited by sledgehammer

On 12/27/2023 at 9:55 PM, VintageComics said:

I don't think so. 

As far as I know, we've covered this already a few days ago. There was an unsubstantiated rumor that the scammer was showing his books off at a show and even that wasn't confirmed. The person that stated it (  @skybolt if I'm not mistaken) it never went back to the video confirm it. Has anyone else?

If you have some proof otherwise, please share it. Post a clip of the video with a link to the time spot that it's being spoken about.

There is no proof he was selling at shows yet, and I have spoken to a very prominent national dealer who would most likely recognize the name of this person if they were setting up at shows. 

So far, ALL we know points to eBay for sure, and possibly IG, so online sales only at this point. 

The important point being all of the online stuff will leave footprints and can be tracked.

If you have anything that proves otherwise, I'm happy to be wrong.

Starting at 1:30:18 and 1:33:18 in this video, 9.9newsstand provides some very interesting insight on the scammer.

On 12/27/2023 at 11:47 PM, sledgehammer said:
On 12/27/2023 at 11:37 PM, wombat said:

Unless I don't understand you, this all started because we could see that an ASM 252 that had been reholdered with a custom label had a different comic inside the cert #, because CGC had scanned the lower grade comic in to the grader's notes.

Got it. This would be really bad if CGC knew something was up and still let reholders through without checking them. 

On 12/27/2023 at 11:37 PM, wombat said:

160 pages into this thread, you're asking the most basic questions that are quickly answered on the very 1st page because you can't be bothered to read it, but you can take the time to troll people. Good job. doh!

On 12/27/2023 at 11:51 PM, skybolt said:

Starting at 1:30:18 and 1:33:18 in this video, 9.9newsstand provides some very interesting insight on the scammer.

Ah OK, so that's where the story came from.

I re-listened to that video the other night,specifically looking for that info but I stopped around the 1:20:00 mark, being too tired (it was my 2nd time listening to it just for the answer we were looking for).

So he has pics of the guy showing off books at a con. Sounds like the alleged seller was walking around, not set up at a show and that's very common. We see it all the time. There's no indication he was actually set up at the show.

Edited by VintageComics

On 12/27/2023 at 11:40 PM, Stefan_W said:

Others continue to argue that just because a statement has not come out yet that things are being swept under the rug and this situation is being ignored until it blows over. I don't see this division ending for a while. 

While I think it's at least possible CGC is burying its head in the sand hoping this will all blow over, I think it's more likely that they're just as incompetent on the PR front as they now appear to be on the reholdering front. And when a business shows themselves to be incompetent in one department, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in their other departments...

On 12/28/2023 at 12:05 AM, Kripsys99 said:

While I think it's at least possible CGC is burying its head in the sand hoping this will all blow over, I think it's more likely that they're just as incompetent on the PR front as they now appear to be on the reholdering front. And when a business shows themselves to be incompetent in one department, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in their other departments...

I disagree.  With something this serious they would want to cultivate all information from all fronts before making any type of serious announcement. . 

On 12/28/2023 at 12:05 AM, Kripsys99 said:

I disagree but everyone has the right to their opinion.

The one thing I 100% believe, and I think others will agree with, is that if we were all sitting around a table having a beer and maybe some wings while discussing this none of the differences in opinion we are seeing would seem quite so significant. 

The thing that seems odd to me is that CGC is acknowledging something is happening from the statement we saw from CS. At that point I would think you would make a statement. I mean they already are, but only to people who ask about it. So now only some people have the information. It would be easy enough to say something along the lines that we are aware of "something" and are looking into the matter. If anyone has any specific concerns please contact us. 

On 12/28/2023 at 12:14 AM, Buzzetta said:

I disagree.

On 12/28/2023 at 12:15 AM, Stefan_W said:

I disagree but everyone has the right to their opinion.

The one thing I 100% believe, and I think others will agree with, is that if we were all sitting around a table having a beer and maybe some wings while discussing this none of the differences in opinion we are seeing would seem quite so significant. 

Well if this is good PR, I'd hate to see bad PR!

Imagine the vitriol you'd see on these boards with bad PR! ;)

Edited by Kripsys99

On 12/28/2023 at 12:18 AM, wombat said:

The thing that seems odd to me is that CGC is acknowledging something is happening from the statement we saw from CS. At that point I would think you would make a statement. I mean they already are, but only to people who ask about it. So now only some people have the information. It would be easy enough to say something along the lines that we are aware of "something" and are looking into the matter. If anyone has any specific concerns please contact us. 

Just a guess, but they could still be in the information collecting phase. It is possible that they have a handle on what they have found so far and are looking for info to see if the issue is wider than they currently believe. 

I wonder how many Ffffssss Black Rock give about comics.  Any respectability CGC ever had is long gone.  It has been proven over and over again with multiple issues from damaging historical books for the sake of "improved" grades, gift grades for "Pedigree" collections for major auction houses, horrible grading especially as of late, and outrageously egregious quality control.  This "scam" is just a symptom of a broken business , it was going to happen sooner or later with what seems nobody at the rudder.  Who really cares what CGC is "doing behind the scenes", there apathy and greed created the perfect storm and it's come home to roost.  I feel bad for the "customers" who were taken in this scam in CGC's corporate apathetic slothful greed.

Edited by BEAUMONTS

On 12/28/2023 at 12:22 AM, Stefan_W said:

Just a guess, but they could still be in the information collecting phase. It is possible that they have a handle on what they have found so far and are looking for info to see if the issue is wider than they currently believe. 

I have no doubt they are in the information gathering stage. You can make a statement to that effect. I think people would like to hear that you are aware and looking into it. It doesn't have to be a "final statement" with all the answers. 

On 12/28/2023 at 3:46 PM, Buzzetta said:

Some of these posts are like opening presents on Christmas when Christmas just happens to be every day of the week. 

Keep entertaining while I’m “behind the scenes.”

image.jpg

You really DO live in a basement!

On 12/28/2023 at 12:24 AM, BEAUMONTS said:

I wonder how many Ffffssss Black Rock give about comics.  Any respectability CGC ever had is long gone.  It has been proven over and over again with multiple issues from damaging historical books for the sake of "improved" grades, gift grades for "Pedigree" collections and major auction houses, horrible grading especially as of late, and outrageously egregious quality control.  This "scam" is just a symptom of a broken business , it was going to happen sooner or later with what seems nobody at the rudder. 

https://www.magiquiz.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/giphy3.gif

Edited by William-James88