• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,029 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2023 at 11:42 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

20k isnt a lot of money to CGC though.

Agreed. Unless this gets **exponentially** worse, they’ll be fine. The amounts described so far are basically a rounding error to CGC. Hell, the boxes of books that have piled up in their mail room since this thread started will pay for them. 

On 12/30/2023 at 10:05 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

Yup expect a shutdown by 1/2/2024

The hobby is over.  Action #1 are now worthless.:ohnoez:

I don’t think 3 days is enough time for me to prepare for the zombie apocalypse. I need to find someone willing to trade slabs for antibiotics and bullets asap. 

On 12/30/2023 at 9:11 AM, Steven Valdez said:

The tamper-resistant case they come up with next is going to be wonderful... wonderful at devaluing all their previous cases, that is.

But great for reholdering cash grab.

See they win in the end.  House always does.

On 12/30/2023 at 10:14 AM, Steven Valdez said:

And that's all the way here in Australia, just for context.

I’m just picturing a bunch of Australians waking up to a newsfeed on their phone saying WTF is a reholder? Who is CGC? And then proceeding to stomp out some deadly creature that wondered into their home.

On 12/30/2023 at 9:08 AM, Point Five said:

Agreed. Unless this gets **exponentially** worse, they’ll be fine. The amounts described so far are basically a rounding error to CGC. Hell, the boxes of books that have piled up in their mail room since this thread started will pay for them.

Same with the Ewert scandal.  Just a drop in the bucket.

On 12/30/2023 at 9:13 AM, Steven Valdez said:

Would have aged better if the book was in a 9.8 graded slab.

Most CGC 9.8 slabs are in fact not worth the cost of the actual submission itself.  If people in this hobby actually knew what they were doing CGC could lay off 50-75% of their workforce.  Bad CGC submissions in fact do employ many people so their mistakes do benefit others job security so I guess that is good news. (shrug)

I have seen far worse companies weather far worse storms. 

The pearl clutching sky is falling concerns of bankruptcy are a tad much.  If you truly believe that, I will help you unload your slabs at a price slightly higher than the pennies on the dollar some of you believe them to now be worth. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 12/30/2023 at 12:17 PM, wiparker824 said:

I’m just picturing a bunch of Australians waking up to a newsfeed on their phone saying WTF is a reholder? Who is CGC? And then proceeding to stomp out some deadly creature that wondered into their home.

Same. lol  @Steven Valdez Can you provide a link to the article? This is so ‘inside baseball’ so far, I’d love to see what a mainstream article would even look like.

On 12/30/2023 at 9:19 AM, Buzzetta said:

The pearl clutching sky is falling concerns of bankruptcy are a tad much.  If you truly believe that, I will help you unload your slabs at a price slightly higher than the pennies on the dollar some of you believe them to now be worse. 

Totally agree.

People here are thinking CGC is going shutdown till this is done are just naive.

At CGC its business as usual on Tuesday, with some working on this scam and finding a solution.

On 12/30/2023 at 10:19 AM, Buzzetta said:

The pearl clutching sky is falling concerns of bankruptcy are a tad much.  If you truly believe that, I will help you unload your slabs at a price slightly higher than the pennies on the dollar some of you believe them to now be worse. 

CGC knows they will profit from this. There will be a mass reholder submission when it’s changed. Then :banana: