• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2023 at 8:11 PM, wombat said:

And to the point why did he send them in, no matter what the answer, we have no idea if he was also selling others directly. 

Of all the ones on his store that were proven swapped, I don't think there is even one that wasn't sent back to CGC or however they prove that.

That was my understanding. Sorry coffee too late at night. :shy

On 12/30/2023 at 5:53 PM, SpiderParker said:

This should be one of their top priorities.   Stop all encapsulation until a new case is ready to roll.  If not you're just sending out more bad ones.  

Then have a voluntary recall of all existing cases.  If I were them I would want as many of these cases off the market as possible.   If not, there will always be scams given how easy book swaps are which CGC will be on the hook for given their guarantee. 

Take the financial hit doing a recall or deal with scams for years to come, the financial loss of compensating folks and potential law suits, legal fees and so forth.  Seems like a no brainer to me.  

"Stop all encapsulation"

So not this. doh!

On 12/30/2023 at 8:14 PM, Lightning55 said:

This will only make sense if you drag in Jimmy Hoffa and Elvis, and finish with a fake moon landing.

This is what I feel I sound like when I'm trying to actually respond, cause too many posts not to type fast

On 12/30/2023 at 8:18 PM, brute_nm said:

It covers his butt.

Say he sells a tampered slab and the buyer notices something fishy, they could get an easy refund, especially with pictures.

But if he has CGC reholder it and take pictures of it, that completely covers his tracks for the buyer. If the buyer receives the book and it looks like a gift grade with bad defects, he can just hide behind CGC "I don't know what to tell you, that's what they graded it. And you can see the pics of your book on the census."

I can think of one way he didn't cover his but, but won't mention it publicly as I don't want to give ideas.

Then there is the picture reflection of him in the slabs for ebay.

Not saying you're wrong, but while the person of interest definitely had a lot of time to think, thank God it wasn't perfect...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/30/2023 at 9:15 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

We all will find Jimmy Hoffa before we find someone alive that can perfectly swipe out this current CGC case and leave no tampering evidence.

The problem is, if a scammer is perfectly swapping out slabs how do you prove it?  You can't.  Right now we see a lot of evidence suggesting that some is or coming very close.  

On 12/30/2023 at 7:55 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

The case is irrelevant when it gets to CGC, the real question is the book and the label that comes with it.

Sometimes I dont even send in the case when I need a reholder to save on weight costs.  I smash it and just send the inner well and the label.

Wait seriously or is this a joke?

On 12/30/2023 at 8:15 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

We all will find Jimmy Hoffa before we find someone alive that can perfectly swipe out this current CGC case and leave no tampering evidence.

Keep saying it and maybe it will be true some day despite all evidence to the contrary. I get you have lots of money tied up in CGC slabs but you’re clowning yourself at this point. 

On 12/30/2023 at 9:14 PM, Lightning55 said:

Nobody "slips" books into someone else's submission. No one is foolish enough to pay for grading on books they didn't submit, mysteriously showing up on their dashboard. And if this middleman has his own account, he's paying for it anyway, has his own submission number, what's the point of horning in on someone else's submission?

This will only make sense if you drag in Jimmy Hoffa and Elvis, and finish with a fake moon landing.

With respect, I'm either not making myself clear enough, you misunderstood or you don't get it

On 12/30/2023 at 6:22 PM, BrashL said:

Wait seriously or is this a joke?

Why would CGC need the outer case for a reholder/ME?

The outer case doesn't matter.

Or am I clown?

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 12/30/2023 at 9:22 PM, BrashL said:

The case is irrelevant when it gets to CGC, the real question is the book and the label that comes with it.

Sometimes I dont even send in the case when I need a reholder to save on weight costs.  I smash it and just send the inner well and the label.

@CGC Mike  Is it true CGC would accept books for re-holdering without the out case/slab?

On 12/30/2023 at 6:42 PM, BrashL said:

How do they know the label goes with the book in the inner well?

Magic.

Come on dude think would you.

I think you just clowned yourself now.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 12/30/2023 at 9:35 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Why would CGC need the outer case?

Or am I clown?

From CGC website:

To qualify, the book must still be encapsulated in its original CGC holder

So They do need the holder BUT not out of the realm of possibilities that said scammer made a deal for mass qty without holder... So that would be a loophole that could happen and should not.

On 12/30/2023 at 9:30 PM, Heronext said:

With respect, I'm either not making myself clear enough, you misunderstood or you don't get it

We could go with all 3. It was, after all, a virtual whiteboard.

Made absolutely no sense to me, and I read it 3 times. But sometimes people are just on very different wavelengths.

Anybody else "get it"???

On 12/30/2023 at 6:45 PM, HighGrade said:

From CGC website:

To qualify, the book must still be encapsulated in its original CGC holder

So They do need the holder BUT not out of the realm of possibilities that said scammer made a deal for mass qty without holder... So that would be a loophole that could happen and should not.

If the case cracked in half how can you submit the original case when half the pieces are gone lol

Edited by NewWorldOrder