• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2023 at 6:48 PM, HighGrade said:

I was told in the past it would have to be regraded if just the label was submitted.

All reholders and ME are supposed to be check re-graded. 

Thats why CGC has serial numbers with graders notes to double check everything in their system.

What good is the outer case if its in 10 pieces?

• Administrator
On 12/30/2023 at 9:43 PM, pdags said:

@CGC Mike  Is it true CGC would accept books for re-holdering without the out case/slab?

For questions about submissions that I do not know the answer for, I have been asked by my superiors to refer customers to the Ask CGC section.  With that said, I think John is funning with you.  Unless it was a unique circumstance like a case not sealed at all.  I still think we need the pieces.  The book would also be checked to be sure it matched the grade on the label.  

On 12/30/2023 at 9:50 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

All reholders and ME are supposed to be check re-graded. 

Thats why CGC has serial numbers with graders notes to double check everything in their system.

What good is the outer case if its in 10 pieces?

Well the old cgc holders you did not need the outer shell, the new ones are a different story, shell and label are separate, different rules, but rules are not always followed.

On 12/30/2023 at 6:56 PM, HighGrade said:

Well the old cgc holders you did not need the outer shell, the new ones are a different story, shell and label are separate, different rules, but rules are not always followed.

Old labels one could switch out the label in 2 seconds.  Yes the new ones dont break as bad as the previous generations.

All anyone needs at CGC is really the label and the comic in the inner well.  Then you can re-check everything.

On 12/30/2023 at 7:05 PM, BrashL said:

The fact that your “joke” was so believable speaks volumes.  

There is no joke.

Why would CGC need a clear outer well piece of plastic to reholder the book that has been broken into a couple pieces?

On 12/30/2023 at 10:03 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Old labels one could switch out the label in 2 seconds.  Yes the new ones dont break as bad as the previous generations.

All anyone needs at CGC is really the label and the comic in the inner well.  Then you can re-check everything.

This is totally untrue.

If you present a label and a capsule for a reholder, the capsule could contain a 9.4 version of the 9.8 label. No notes to go by, as you would be looking up the 9.8 and see nothing. No photo to go by, if before last summer. You have no chain of custody on the 9.8 that supposedly came out of that case. 

It would have to be regraded from scratch. 

On 12/30/2023 at 7:08 PM, Lightning55 said:

This is totally untrue.

If you present a label and a capsule for a reholder, the capsule could contain a 9.4 version of the 9.8 label. No notes to go by, as you would be looking up the 9.8 and see nothing. No photo to go by, if before last summer. You have no chain of custody on the 9.8 that supposedly came out of that case. 

Like I said they all are supposed to be doubled check to make sure the grade matches up.

If you put a 9.8 label and 9.4 ASM 252 in front of me your book isnt leaving the office as a 9.8.

On 12/30/2023 at 10:08 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

He means to say that like the movie he was watching, it's all a smokescreen. He doesn't do a good job of detail, but foes like this.

Swapper scammer is being found out as the source, or perp.

He has a "mary" or stooge scapegoat on the return packaging.

The middle men posting you tube, some of them are middle men who are in on the scam and smokescreening to draw any from the truth.

All that sounds possible in movie fiction and real crime, but he sums it up as "they have their own cgc account!" And that's the onkh proof he has of all of the above, which could also be "true,  UT sounds like a weak link that makes it look as conspiracy toward tin foil" 

But perhaps the subject matter is rooted, but I'd agree probably not "all of that is happening here nor is there proof of!"

Yeah, I guess I still don't get it, but now my head hurts. Dropping it for health reasons.

On 12/30/2023 at 9:05 PM, BrashL said:

The fact that your “joke” was so believable speaks volumes.  

On 12/30/2023 at 9:08 PM, Lightning55 said:

This is totally untrue.

His point is....

That regardless if you have no slab or shards of slabs, cgc people are supposed to look over the book period the end.

They're not doing that, this tangent is pointless and he's trying to make you realize.

If a book goes to reholder, the book should be reviewed in all aspects, it is not.

Hence my you're fired gif, that is probably the only processes that have been fixed. The dude who was supposed to look at every book wasn't.

What you should be focused on is not if it looks so so it gets a pss or goes straight through, that is the myth, no such thing. Every book in reholder no matter what should get opened and searched to see if grade matches.

In that case it doesn't matter how much of the case is still attached, the book should be flipped through and isn't

You're fired!

On 12/30/2023 at 10:11 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Like I said they all are supposed to be doubled check to make sure the grade matches up.

If you put a 9.8 label and 9.4 ASM 252 in front of me your book isnt leaving the office as a 9.8.

You're right, because it is going to get regraded, not just reholdered.

On 12/30/2023 at 9:11 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Probably.  But put it in front of a lower wage worker whose  job depends on productivity and the boss is pushing speed and numbers.  Let's see how many times that book leaves as a 9.8 vs 9.4. 

On 12/30/2023 at 9:12 PM, Lightning55 said:

Yeah, I guess I still don't get it, but now my head hurts. Dropping it for health reasons.

Apologize for the typos. You got to admit, I don't attempt fast long posts. :cheers:

Posts are drifting towards the same circle chase and the same thing over and over, so I don't blame you. :shy:

I really don't understand how some of you are missing this. :wavingwhiteflag:

All Reholders/ME are supposed to be crosschecked in the system with the original label and the comic then double checked that the grade matches the internal graders notes/images etc.  If not then we have a problem, and that is why all this scamming from the MVS and inserts was so easily preventable.  Point Blank Period.

If someone sends in a CGC 9.8 label with a a different raw copy from a CGC 9.0 inner well its should have zero chance of getting by CGC.

So yes this is an easy fix as some of us have stated many times with some CGC workers following basic in place protocols.

Edited by NewWorldOrder