• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 1/1/2024 at 1:26 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

I don't think it's done to be airtight or watertight- it's just "good enough" to make it fast. They didn't build these to be reusable either. They designed them to be quick to assemble firstly, and reholder if necessary because they have thousands to do a week. Anything to shave off time and increase their throughput.  

Don't need them to be airtight or waterproof...  all I'm suggesting is they cannot be opened without breaking the pillars, rather than 'that just popped out with no resistance at all' as Immaculate Comics noted when he was testing it.

On 12/31/2023 at 9:41 AM, Steven Valdez said:

all I'm suggesting is they cannot be opened without breaking the pillars

Yeah, the pins/corners need to shatter under every condition that CGC can dream up.  It'll always be a game of cat and mouse with scammers, but it shouldn't be trivial.

Edited by pdags

On 12/31/2023 at 7:12 AM, AbsoluteCarnage said:

saw some of the cgc new protection in place as I responded on my Villain thread.............

image.png.f6a20fcec0e7152d74eeb3ba299b5fe1.png

I keep getting that and then the page just dies.  Comment doesn't get posted.

edit: didn't get it that time.

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 12/31/2023 at 8:43 AM, pdags said:

Yeah, the pins/corners need to shatter under every condition that CGC can dream up.  It'll always be a game of cat and mouse with scammers, but it shouldn't be trivial.

I think the only solution here would be to not use pins constructed of the same materials and therefor vulnerable to the sonic welder, like rivets. But that goes back to my earlier point, time and cost added to the process of holdering or opening to reholder. The sweet-spot for them will heavily favor efficiency and cost at the expense of quality and security. 

what would really be the kick in the teeth is they turn this into an opportunity to offer "enhanced slab options" A bomb-proof slab that's guaranteed to be secure for 2X the price. Standard pricing remains in the current holder. Any reholder order comes with a "free" press and regrade of the books. There's just so many ways to monetize their lack of quality and make it a profit center at the customers expense. 

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

On 12/31/2023 at 9:51 AM, Steven Valdez said:

Dealer sitting on $500K worth of CGC books: "This is just a glitch, it'll all blow over by early next week."

Actual collectors: :ohnoez:

Funny thing is we ARE aligned... I love my CGC slabs and have plenty of invested capital sitting there too.  The last thing I want is for CGC to be undermined.  But burying your head in the sand isn't going to fix this or make it go away.  Even if it did blow over in a few weeks, the holder is too vulnerable, and further scandals will happen... and that won't be good for either collectors or dealers.

On 12/31/2023 at 9:52 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

I think the only solution here would be to not use pins constructed of the same materials and therefor vulnerable to the sonic welder, like rivets. But that goes back to my earlier point, time and cost added to the process of holdering or opening to reholder. The sweet-spot for them will heavily favor efficiency and cost at the expense of quality and security. 

what would really be the kick in the teeth is they turn this into an opportunity to offer "enhanced slab options" A bomb-proof slab that's guaranteed to be secure for 2X the price. Standard pricing remains in the current holder. Any reholder order comes with a "free" press and regrade of the books. There's just so many ways to monetize their lack of quality and make it a profit center at the customers expense. 

I think CGC would be happy to implement the tightest and strongest measures... the question becomes, what would they have to charge their customers in exchange, and would the market bear that additional cost?  At some point, the equation doesn't work anymore, and the books that would justify the added cost of grading would be a smaller and smaller population, which could put the viability of the service in question.  It's a tough balance that CGC has to manage.

That's a leap to ascribe the downfall of reading comics with third party grading and encapsulation of valuable back issues.  There are still a couple of orders of magnitude more unslabbed back issue comics for reading and collecting than there are slabs that can no longer be read, unless the owner chooses to crack the books out.  And linking back issue encapsulation with the long running decline in the new comic book market doesn't make sense.

On 12/31/2023 at 8:26 AM, drotto said:
On 12/31/2023 at 8:12 AM, pdags said:

But we don't know for certain if what Briva3 was doing showed any notable damage to the slabs.

But, he was asking for label changes, this should trigger a full re-evaluation also.

You don't know that. He may have asked for an MJ notation, but he may have asked for a custom label, and then reminded them at some point later in status that it appeared to him that there was an MJ insert inside the sealed holder and sealed inner well.

On 12/31/2023 at 9:46 AM, HotKey said:

Has anyone with a large personal collection of the at risk comics contacted their insurance company to see how they are going to approach insuring values on potentially fraudulent cases?

yeah I wondered something similar on the insurance side of things about 40-50 pages back. Not sure anyone took it up, I've slept since then and don't have a sharp enough machete and napalm to work my way back that far.  Another fraud scheme you could pursue would be to file an insurance loss on a bunch of 9.8 slabs that were swapped out DIY with lesser grades.  A little fire damage or outright theft would be enough to obscure any holder tampering. Then take your insurance money and slab the real 9.8's again. 

On 12/31/2023 at 1:53 AM, Steven Valdez said:

Remember, any tell-tale scuffs or scratches can be easily buffed out using Polywatch 

For years I've used PlastX (a headlight cleaner) it works nicely on light to medium scuff and light scratches. However it requires a whole lot of elbow grease, once I even badly heat friction burned my thumb. Perhaps I'll test out this Polywatch?

Edited by MAR1979