• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 1/5/2024 at 9:09 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

What does this particular book prove to law enforcement? There was no swap.  It was just a reholder.

TBH

THAT may be why cgc put signature series on the list? @Buzzetta with it on a "list" and even though it more than likely is fine, and since CGC thinks it is a certain person....., and etc

Could CGC get the book as a Non-sale or get it back eventually somehow to help off set costs of CGC payouts?

It is a stretch, as I don't think CGC has any legal rights to it, but there has got to be "a reason" Signature Series was on the list, idk

Just if the SS is on a list, then they're hard to sell and I wonder if CGC somehow benefits? Whether keeping it unsold or possibly "outing the person" who owns it?

IDK Big Stretch :shy: 

On 1/5/2024 at 10:19 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

TBH

THAT may be why cgc put signature series on the list? @Buzzetta with it on a "list" and even though it more than likely is fine, and since CGC thinks it is a certain person....., and etc

Could CGC get the book as a Non-sale or get it back eventually somehow to help off set costs of CGC payouts?

It is a stretch, as I don't think CGC has any legal rights to it, but there has got to be "a reason" Signature Series was on the list, idk

Just if the SS is on a list, then they're hard to sell and I wonder if CGC somehow benefits? Whether keeping it unsold or possibly "outing the person" who owns it?

???

On 1/5/2024 at 9:20 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

???

Does CGC somehow benefit from putting Signature Series on the blacklist? Perhaps by inclining somehow to get the book back? Outing the person who Owns it or tries to sell it?

It is a stretch, but what benefit could CGC have in putting it on the list? If we all think that it is probably fine to begin with? There has to be a reason it is on there...

On 1/5/2024 at 9:23 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m assuming the SS books on the list were reholdered with custom labels, and that’s what put them on the list.

ya that last post was just to see if my mind could think of "another reason" CGC put it on the list, whether to their benefit somehow or not. I'm sure it is just to cover all the bases, but we all kind of think it is fine, I guess to cover their arse just in case. I was only trying to think of other scenarios, perhaps getting the signature series book back to offset the inevitable payouts cgc will issue do to the actual scam books.

But if CGC is going to pay damages, there had to be a specific and legal reason they put it on the list, but like you say it is probably just as suspect as others and I'm spinning wheels :shy: 

On 1/5/2024 at 10:27 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Does CGC somehow benefit from putting Signature Series on the blacklist? Perhaps by inclining somehow to get the book back? Outing the person who Owns it or tries to sell it?

It is a stretch, but what benefit could CGC have in putting it on the list? If we all think that it is probably fine to begin with? There has to be a reason it is on there...

ya that last post was just to see if my mind could think of "another reason" CGC put it on the list, whether to their benefit somehow or not. I'm sure it is just to cover all the bases, but we all kind of think it is fine, I guess to cover their arse just in case. I was only trying to think of other scenarios, perhaps getting the signature series book back to offset the inevitable payouts cgc will issue do to the actual scam books.

But if CGC is going to pay damages, there had to be a specific and legal reason they put it on the list, but like you say it is probably just as suspect as others and I'm spinning wheels :shy: 

I have no idea if the other SS books are okay.  Just the AF 15

To that point weren't there reholder submission numbers on that list that were confirmed omitted?

That is why I'm scratching my head to understand, why? if every book on a submission form is only for one service, ie reholder?

Then why some are omitted, but some signature series are not and etc....

in short, I don't think anyone has a clue, but the questions are piling up lol 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/5/2024 at 10:23 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m assuming the SS books on the list were reholdered with custom labels, and that’s what put them on the list.

I also think the AF15 ss is the most likely to be legitimate on the list.  The only reason it is on the list was the reholder for the costum label. To me the question is was that done for the scammer's PC and enjoyment and/or to cover their tracks. Hey CGC I do not only reholder ASM 300's.

On 1/5/2024 at 10:31 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

To that point weren't there reholder submission numbers on that list that were confirmed omitted?

That is why I'm scratching my head to understand, why if every book on a submission form is only for one service, ie reholder?

Then why some are omitted, but some signature series isn't and etc....

in short, I don't think anyone has a clue, but the questions are piling up lol 

This could be explained by the scammer still has some of the books, and risks exposure if they try and clear them.

On 1/5/2024 at 9:19 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

TBH

On 1/5/2024 at 9:32 AM, drotto said:

This could be explained by the scammer still has some of the books, and risks exposure if they try and clear them.

That makes sense.

So to answer my question, perhaps CGC is trying to use tactics to squeeze and build pressure.... and that might benefit cgc rather than the "offset payout costs I suggested"

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/5/2024 at 10:34 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

That makes sense, So to answer my question perhaps CGC is trying to use tactics to squeeze and build pressure.... and that might benefit cgc

IMHO place every book ever submitted by scammer on the list. The scammer certainly will not sue.

Of course CGC wont, as keeping list at current total is in their best fiscal and reputational interest.

Edited by MAR1979

Again, the AF 15 is probably still with the scammer but it’s just an example. There are other SS books on this list that were sold before CGC was imaging. For example:

IMG_2291.thumb.jpeg.13fea83d87511b8a9c848e658090a4a2.jpeg

According to GPA this book was sold in 2016 and then again in 2018. According to CGC it was graded on 3/9/15, just after it was signed, so one would assume it popped into this list because it was reholdered after that but before it was sold. For what purpose? If this book was to sell, and not a PC book then why are you sending it to reholder before you sell it? Custom labels don’t add anything to the sale price and in fact wind up costing you more when you add in the cost to ship, insure, and reholder the book with a custom label. It could be that this book happened to be a reholder the scammer did for a non-scamming reason like the slab was scuffed but there’s no way to know that. And CGC asking for this book back to verify implies they don’t know that either. 

And this book may not be a 6 figure book like the AF15, but it could be a 5 figure book, and there’s only 4 other 9.8 SS in the census of this book.

Edited by wiparker824

On 1/5/2024 at 10:39 AM, MAR1979 said:

IMHO place every book ever submitted by scammer on the list. The scammer certainly will not sue.

Of course CGC wont, as keeping list at current total is in their best fiscal and reputational interest.

I think every graded book the scammer consigned to the selling venues... Heritage, ComicLink, MCS, even eBay (if still identifiable),etc... should be on the list. If the list of 350 is just reholdered books, it's well short of the total population of suspect books... unless and until someone can demonstrate that mr scammer wasn't able to open and reseal holders without noticeable defects.  I'm sure CGC has been in communication with the major selling platforms and the name is known to them... we know for certain that they've spoken with ComicLink.

Edited by EastEnd1

On 1/5/2024 at 10:46 AM, EastEnd1 said:

I think every graded book the scammer consigned to the selling venues... Heritage, ComicLink, MCS, even eBay (if still identifiable),etc... should be on the list.  Unless someone can demonstrate that mr scammer wasn't able to open and reseal holders without noticeable defects.  I'm sure CGC has been in communication with the major selling platforms... we know for certain that they've spoken with ComicLink.

Is there any evidence that the scammer was selling swapped books that didn’t first go to CGC for a reholder?

CGC after seeing so many requests from scammer about updating labels. 

:idea:

Maybe we should start a label of the month club.

Every month you send in your book for a label swap to a new custom label!

On 1/5/2024 at 10:53 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Scammer.

" I have decided that I do not like the look of that  last custom label and would like to update to the newest one. ( X 200)"

CGC - we'll do whatever you want for those sweet reholder fees