• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 1/7/2024 at 4:42 PM, mrd160 said:

I am a fan of thoro…he was stating his opinion and a lot of people agreed with him. I know him irl….good dude. He’s not the only person that looked at the book, some of which in person and believed with some certainty that the book was trimmed. What adds to this is the fact that the person selling the book was certainly involved in some shenanigans. If he’s going to swap cases it’s not unreasonable to think he would do other things as well. Extra scrutiny is warranted. Btw, this is why I avoid all social media/online like the plague. Lol

Plus it is YOUR BOOK - this is not hypothetical for you. Its Ironic that in December I sent all of my CGC books off to be auctioned in the next 2 Comiclink auctions... None of my books are on the list - my highlights are top census Startling Terror Tales #5 and some nice Cole romance - but damn was the timing off for me to sell my collection?!?!!! 

On 1/10/2024 at 8:55 AM, MAR1979 said:

You comment is logical.

However Logic is not often employed in the modern world especially by the LIV's - which make up a high amount of Social Media followers (aka those influenced)

The following is plausible:

As word spreads and it will, those LIV's will interpret the situation wrong. Thus ALL Versions of ASM300, ASM194, Hulk 340, SW8 and others including possibly Hulk 181 will become varying degrees of toxic to them for an unknown amount of time.

Of course I may be wrong, as the numbers flow into GPA and GoCollect we shall see... who knows this may be good for other books that previously lacked attention like DC's :) We'll ok probably not DC's...

I watch a lot of ebay sales and I did notice there was a distinct lack of Hulk 181s being sold in the 2 weeks after this broke, and interestingly 180 had a resurgence... But it seems people are trickling back into the 181 market. So we will see!

On 1/7/2024 at 11:31 AM, comicwiz said:

Thanks, I'm not seeing any discernable difference. The dates below are what I'm seeing for recorded sales. 

6/7/2018
5/3/2018
5/5/2014

The image below corresponds with the 5/3/2018 sale I highlighted. If it was going to change, it would have happened at the 6/7/2018 listing. As I was not able to mine that listing, seeing yours is an encouraging sign.

FF2.jpg.adad090e5e17c4d55891af3d27b79dab.jpg

On 1/7/2024 at 11:32 AM, mrd160 said:

Agreed….here are some of them that were offered to me. I know at least 1 was on the cgc list. Some have his personal info in the pic, so I won’t share those.

9500F8D2-BD81-4B5E-9DB1-B90BA0EE57B8.jpeg

FEEECAA1-45B3-4556-9B1F-547B32BD6793.jpeg

23A3113A-FEFC-413D-9ADC-0439D2603C6A.jpeg

423DB39D-721A-450E-A23A-2F3EC9F945F4.jpeg

1B82342A-AEF1-4126-BB95-A577F1461CD6.jpeg

73E905DD-60FD-45A5-803C-57F8FC5D0D38.jpeg

EB2AE6D4-B90C-482C-A971-6ABAE919ACD7.jpeg

C79D68BB-597E-444B-84F3-7C029B883F92.jpeg

F010C2E2-A5A1-4391-8E33-4EEFD42A6772.jpeg

It wasn't until the 3rd generation slabs that the label was not connected to the inner well.  So long as a book is still in a 1st or 2nd generation slab it shouldn't have been possible to swap them out.  

• Administrator
On 1/10/2024 at 1:52 PM, Tnexus said:

(Mike, hopefully I can post this since it's a competitor's card.)

Currently, I'm not aware of any restrictions regarding the postings of competitors cards.

On 1/10/2024 at 2:01 PM, wiparker824 said:

So they bought it for 5k and sold it for 1300 a year later? Guess they were better at scamming comics. 

The Card bubble was far more insane than Comics. The drops after burst even more precipitous.

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/10/2024 at 11:55 AM, MAR1979 said:

You comment is logical.

However Logic is not often employed in the modern world especially by the LIV's - which make up a high amount of Social Media followers (aka those influenced)

The following is plausible:

As word spreads and it will, those LIV's will interpret the situation wrong. Thus ALL Versions of ASM300, ASM194, Hulk 340, SW8 and others including possibly Hulk 181 will become varying degrees of toxic to them for an unknown amount of time.

Of course I may be wrong, as the numbers flow into GPA and GoCollect we shall see... who knows this may be good for other books that previously lacked attention like DC's :) We'll ok probably not DC's...

Ok I'm sorry, what does LIV mean. 54s?

On 1/10/2024 at 2:04 PM, Tnexus said:

There's a few Briva3's as well. Doesn't look like any high values though.

https://www.psacard.com/cert/58169513

On 1/10/2024 at 2:08 PM, MAR1979 said:

The Card bubble was far more insane than Comics. The drops after burst even more precipitous.

It is easier to try and manufacture your own fake PSA card than it is to tamper with a preexisting graded PSA card like this guy did with the comics.   When you try to open up a slabbed card you shatter the holder.  Unlike a comic slab, the PSA holder is sonically welded all the way around.  This is why the fake Jordan cards are in fake PSA slabs. 

On 1/10/2024 at 1:22 PM, buttock said:

It wasn't until the 3rd generation slabs that the label was not connected to the inner well.  So long as a book is still in a 1st or 2nd generation slab it shouldn't have been possible to swap them out.  

unfortunately immaculate comics showed how easy it was to get the label out of the inner well and swap it out. He showed a competitor's slab

On 1/10/2024 at 11:15 AM, Comics said:

Plus it is YOUR BOOK - this is not hypothetical for you. Its Ironic that in December I sent all of my CGC books off to be auctioned in the next 2 Comiclink auctions... None of my books are on the list - my highlights are top census Startling Terror Tales #5 and some nice Cole romance - but damn was the timing off for me to sell my collection?!?!!! 

SA to MA books have dropped but some GA and precode have continued to increase.  Hopefully you'll do quite well with your books.

On 1/10/2024 at 10:22 AM, buttock said:

I was not aware of this.  I thought all inner wells were disconnected from their labels going back to the very first gen.  Thanks for sharing.

Edited by mosconi

On 1/10/2024 at 2:16 PM, JC25427N said:

Ok I'm sorry, what does LIV mean. 54s?

Low Intelligence Viewer - generally the easiest folks to influence and rile up. Not that common a term my apologies for using it. Next time I'll go back to saying rubes or sheep

Of course I'm the person who collects DC Digests and Little Stooges Comics so perhaps I too am a rube..?

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/10/2024 at 3:49 PM, MAR1979 said:

Low Intelligence Viewer - generally the easiest folks to influence and rile up. Not that common a term my apologies for using it. Next time I'll go back to saying rubes or sheep

Of course I'm the person who collects DC Digests and Little Stooges Comics so perhaps I too am a rube..?

I loooooove dc blue ribbons….drool 

On 1/10/2024 at 3:57 PM, mrd160 said:

If this scam proves nothing else, it proves that no one gives a s@#% about DC…lol. I mean hey, I do, I’ve been collecting almost exclusively DC for the past 10 years lol 

If there were DC custom labels, I’m sure there would be some on the list.