• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 1/27/2024 at 2:09 AM, Stefan_W said:

Based on the comments on my videos I would completely agree with the bolded point. I think a big source of difference is the people who have accounts with CGC and participate on a CGC forum are typically people who buy and sell slabs. It does not have to be that, but I am speaking about the majority of people on these boards. 

The audience for YouTube comic book channels is very different in that it spans more broadly across the comic community, and as such it includes both people who submit books and those who do not. Some of the people who are commenting in those reply sections are not into submitting books to begin with, and for that crowd the scam was one more reason that justifies not sending anything in for grading. There is also a crowd of people who are pretty dedicated to going from channel to channel and posting their hatred of CGC in every comment section they can find. 

So when you look at the composition of the groups of people on these boards and those writing in comments sections on YouTube I think the differences you correctly identify make sense. 

A lot of what I see on YouTube though is collectors who are saying they're afraid to buy CGC-slabbed books from now on, for fear they may have been tampered with. So not just people who submit directly to CGC, but the buyers at the end of the line.

On 1/26/2024 at 10:16 AM, Steven Valdez said:

A lot of what I see on YouTube though is collectors who are saying they're afraid to buy CGC-slabbed books from now on, for fear they may have been tampered with. So not just people who submit directly to CGC, but the buyers at the end of the line.

This is a huge factor that extends the impact of the scandal beyond the number of books that were directly tampered with. From what I am seeing sales are down, but sales were already continuing to drop as we slide out of the comic boom era and back to where we were in 2019-ish. 

I am watching the market as well as I can, but I don't think we have an accurate handle on how much damage the incident has done to sales outside of the books that were commonly tampered with (NM98 news stand, etc). Logic tells me it has had some impact, but I don't know much of continuing drops is just that the market was always going to drop in Jan 2024. 

On 1/27/2024 at 2:49 AM, Stefan_W said:

This is a huge factor that extends the impact of the scandal beyond the number of books that were directly tampered with. From what I am seeing sales are down, but sales were already continuing to drop as we slide out of the comic boom era and back to where we were in 2019-ish. 

I am watching the market as well as I can, but I don't think we have an accurate handle on how much damage the incident has done to sales outside of the books that were commonly tampered with (NM98 news stand, etc). Logic tells me it has had some impact, but I don't know much of continuing drops is just that the market was always going to drop in Jan 2024. 

I think it's going to take a while for the full affects of this to play out, the erosion of trust.

On 1/25/2024 at 9:28 PM, Lightning55 said:

Not bothering me a bit, and I am sure I am in the 90+% of people who will have zero impact from this scandal.  If you deal in high value books, especially those particular issues that are scam favorites, different story.

I've been subbing right along, hope to increase.  My biggest loss, since being involved with CGC for many years, is the many hours lost reading this 370+ page thread, and following all the links to see "evidence".  Kinda interesting, but exhausting.

I feel the same....kinda like a watching a season of True Detective.....will there ever be a name of a human being ( not alien ) told in this story.... so common buyer knows if he bought from him OR his ebay website OR comic book store?

Thank god the thread is finally slowing down.  Gives those of us who came in when the thread was hundreds of pages long a chance to finally catch up.  The concerns I have, other than the myriad of concerns already mentioned are (and if I missed where they were mentioned forgive me.  I’ve tried to read everything, but am sure I missed some posts)

1)  If someone had a way of “manufacturing” green labels and lower grades into blue labels and higher grades wouldn’t that mean that the prices of green labels and lower grades would be artificially inflated and blue labels and higher grades were artificially depressed?  Do we know how many books (other than the vague 350) are possibly involved?  What percentage of the market of specific titles and or issues do they  represent?  Do we need GPAnalysis and GoCollect to somehow note on books that have had a heavy presence that there may be shenanigans in the prices of that issue?  Or do we have to just wait until this blows over to get a feel for the natural level of some of these books.

2)  Again how long this has been going on might be in the threads somewhere, but as someone who has bought only one book in the last couple years it would be nice to know when people in the know think this all started.

3)  Much the same it would sure be nice to know all names/usernames used in this.  At least the people most central to it.  I know everyone is scared of lawsuits.  But I imagine if the perpetrator has a lawyer his concern is elsewhere right now.  I’ve seen one Instagram? EBay? username and one comic shop linked to this but no confirmation.  This only puts those of us NOT in the know at risk.  Especially if there is a board name/board names associated to this.  That would put some of us who use this forum some peace of mind.

4)  Finally, even if there is no information that can be shared at this point from CGC it would be nice to have some kind of timeline to when we might get more information.  As I stated previously I haven’t added to my collection much in years, but prices are finally getting down to where I could think of picking up something again.  Needless to say I’m reluctant to until I know more.

Like most, I’d like to add my kudos to the board and YouTube detectives who have uncovered all this.

On 1/25/2024 at 9:20 PM, comicwiz said:

Looks like there isn't any shortage of fun to be had - I'll see your July 16 2023 sale with Certification: 4220532001, and raise you another X-Men 266 9.8, that happened to sell on the exact same day (7/16/2023), and after it reappered in the second sale below (11/21/2023), we also can notice it changed from Direct to Newsstand.

Certification: 2120143023

Beginning first with the cert look-up for posterity:

X-Men-266-Verify.thumb.png.6706c00caec929840ac45899506e6f13.png

1) Cert: 2120143023  | ebay  | 7/16/2023 | $760 - note: pics are small, but you can see the cert # on the back pic 

X-Men-266-listing.thumb.png.01cf892f8d493cac9b7eceaa321e1f77.png

X-Men-266-front.jpg.c1338349261be53a7770349491fec444.jpg

X-Men-266-back.jpg.504c5c646119e1622562617882e8a535.jpg

2) Difference noted (changes from direct to newsstand) when it reappears for sale on eBay on 11/21/2023 | $1,725

X-Men-266-listing-Nov.thumb.png.476f8431fd8dc0d3fd6dd6d34cabaf78.png

X-Men-266-Nov-front.thumb.jpg.b0219646e45627cfc9633f9b40defd43.jpg

X-Men-266-Nov-back.thumb.jpg.baeb0401412fddd8264253dedb6c60a6.jpg

3) Reappers a third time on eBay - Cert: 2120143023 [12/5/2023] - $1,680

X-Men-266-Dec-listing.thumb.png.4f71db61746d45a7f0c78078b24bb29d.png

X-Men-266-Dec-front.thumb.jpg.844e9406420bb0fd14e36c33eeb99971.jpg

X-Men-266-Dec-back.thumb.jpg.2015ccc578052e581f6401583531d2ba.jpg 

image.png.ae86e8f791685d357e10e41c1b1cfe2e.png

-bc

On 1/26/2024 at 8:44 AM, Junkdrawer said:

What’s the latest news going forward? Is it just business as usual? Is there tamper evident holders in play? I haven’t had my finger on the pulse on this matter. Thanks,

I've been following since mid-December and every day since.  My take is CGC slabs are comically (pun intended) easy to open and swap books.  At this point they are just plastic, and it is entirely up to the consumer if you believe the book inside is accurately represented by the label.  It's a complete disaster and in my opinion CGC is trying to keep the details as obfuscated as possible to protect their market share.  I'm not selling all my CGC slabs, but I will never use this company to grade books based on everything I know about their equipment and processes.  

On 1/26/2024 at 10:21 PM, JollyComics said:

Is CGC now desperate?   It seems that everyone backs off with CGC after those big scams.  Also, we have overpaid while QC is totally unreliable.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/12543/

source.gif.9e22e88baf2a735f62848439e068ed95.gif

On 1/27/2024 at 7:44 AM, comicwiz said:

I will say this much. It is extremely disappointing to hear people who I would have expected better from saying things like the reactions are overblown. Or that the scale has been 'overestimated.' Or, my favourite - that this list is the be-all, and that everything is fine here as long as we refer to this list. Which btw, keeps having both legit books and compromised books crossed-off, along with cert numbers being purged, AND grade dates being wiped.

I have had to use some restraint in not posting the everthing is fine memes - the one most appropriate here is the guy using a vacuum to put out a fire. What exactly are they basing their assertions on? I know that from what I've looked at now since late December, the magnitude of this is difficult to forecast, and I've looked at the data that is being used by CGC. I also know that the "list" is not all-ecompassing. So what is with the charade?

People always react from their own vantage points. 

You are spending a great deal of time looking at a large number of books that have absolutely been tampered with, many of which are not on CGC's list, and are seeing that the scope of this is much larger than CGC claims. That is great and the work is important, but it also shapes your viewpoint.

I am looking across my own collection of several hundred slabs and none of those have been tampered with, and I am 100% sure that the books I am bidding on right now at the CL auction have not been tampered with due to my price point and the books I am selecting. That shapes my viewpoint. 

The key here is perspective and understanding where everyone is coming from.

The following is a series of true statements about the scam:

- The scam is important and has impacted on many people.

- The vast majority of comic collectors do not own books that have been tampered with.

- The hobby has been impacted in ways we cannot begin to measure.

- The hobby will continue.

- People's trust in CGC has been shaken.

- A lot of people will continue to send books in to CGC for grading and it will continue to be the gold standard in comic grading.

If your meme shows the flip sides to all of these proverbial coins then please go ahead and share. 

On 1/27/2024 at 7:59 AM, Stefan_W said:

The following is a series of true statements about the scam:

- The vast majority of comic collectors do not own books that have been tampered with.

Do you think this language would be on their guarantee page, if there wasn't a reason for it to be?

5. CGC/CSG Holders. This Guarantee does not apply to Collectibles that have been removed from a CGC or CSG holder, or if the CGC or CSG holder containing a Collectible has been damaged, unsealed, tampered with, or altered. The determination as to whether this has occurred shall be at the sole reasonable discretion of Guarantor. Further, this Guarantee does not apply to counterfeit or tampered CGC or CSG holders.

Edited by sledgehammer