• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 2/5/2024 at 5:37 PM, Telegan said:

Ryan is correct that YT auto-deletes comments with links in them which as you can see from that linked post Comicwiz's comment on Ryan's YT video had.

This is definitely a thing with YouTube and, I suspect, causes a lot of unnecessary internet consternation. My interaction with Ryan has been solid.

On 2/5/2024 at 8:17 PM, bc said:

They should be.

Granted them access back in 2016. Suit claims "more then 2000 comic books " Love to see the breakdown between submissions per account - that would tell the real story.

-bc

I've been wrestling with whether or not I'd be making a public statement or not if I were the owner of Comic Book Station and had been duped.  ComicLink did early on, though they've gone silent since.  I can see both sides of it... keeping my mouth shut because of the potential for litigation vs wanting to publicly separate myself from the scammers before my business's brand is destroyed.  Knowing the magnitude of these numbers though, if I had been duped, I'd be pursuing my own litigation against the scammers.  Ultimately, their ongoing silence may tell us something.  

Edited by EastEnd1

On 2/5/2024 at 6:36 PM, sledgehammer said:

some people that joined the party, a little late, don't know that back on page 54, somebody noted that one of the feedback for the eBay scammer account, came from comic book station.

The poster innocently asked, if anybody was familiar with comic book station and asked if they might know the eBay scammer. a few days before that, I had noted that my suspicion was that this was probably a big submitter, that was using small feedback eBay accounts, to launder all the fraudulent books.

They also probably don't know that within days, that feedback became private and disappeared.

hm

I have reason to believe that Comic Book Station of Williamsburg, Brooklyn on Eckford is a member of these boards. 

Edited by Buzzetta

I wonder if Steve Borock was aware of the connection with comic book station when he did the interview recently.

I really doubt it, because I wasn't the only one that came off, feeling like it was a little bit too much of a "people need to teach themselves how to grade " reaction.

I realize that being Facebook friends is often an extremely, extremely casual thing.

But it is still a fact that Steve is Facebook friends with Tommy.

Maybe at some point, Someone will make a point of that fact to him. if it turns out that he actually is close with Tommy, it would certainly carry some weight and help eliminate a lot of the speculation.

Edited by sledgehammer

On 2/5/2024 at 8:00 PM, Buzzetta said:

I have reason to believe that Comic Book Station of Williamsburg, Brooklyn on Eckford is a member of these boards. 

other than the fact, that someone from the store set up an account, and opened the thread about a theft of a pressing submission last summer?

Edited by sledgehammer

On 2/5/2024 at 5:17 PM, bc said:

They should be.

Granted them access back in 2016. Suit claims "more then 2000 comic books " Love to see the breakdown between submissions per account - that would tell the real story.

-bc

Is it possible that Comic Station is not being sued as a litigant if the prosecution is planning to use them as a witness against Zanello and Riva?  But if they've received monetary compensation from the fraud slab sales, that would be considered ill gotten gains in my mind.  

On 2/4/2024 at 11:18 AM, BrashL said:

Generally federal trademark cares aren’t decided on “seems shady” grounds. 

Does anyone have a link to the actual court filings so we can read them?

I settled with Fox Television, Chris Carter, and Harris Comics on a Lanham Act trademark case related to their use of a comic I made with James Hudnall used by Fox/Carter as the basis for the TV series "Harsh Realm." The judge (in NY) told defendant's attorneys, "I've looked at the documents and think you have a 99% chance of losing. If you want to try your 1% chance of winning on argument, go ahead, but I suggest you settle." In that case, a "federal trademark case" it wasn't decided on "seems shady" grounds, but I don't think the Riva/Zanello case is simply "seems shady." There is clear intent to defraud. In case you are curious, the settlement terms were ridiculous, but James wanted to settle, so we did.

On 2/4/2024 at 1:27 PM, topcat54 said:

image.png.a88eeccb21a64069dbbc80783d76ed3c.png

I wonder if the CGC strategy is to sue first, so they can hold a criminal complaint over their head, get the info they need, then file criminal case also?

On 2/5/2024 at 6:35 PM, mosconi said:

If CGC can gather the evidence that the store owner received monetary compensation from the millions of dollars of scam slabs over the years from Zanello, then the benefit of doubt will be out the window.  A documented money trail/money transfers from scammer to store owner would be a starting point to investigate.  I'm no skilled detective, but at this point we can only speculate what kind of financial shenanigans were going on between them hm

This can easily be found with the right resources.  

On 2/5/2024 at 7:27 PM, J Bill said:

This is definitely a thing with YouTube and, I suspect, causes a lot of unnecessary internet consternation. My interaction with Ryan has been solid.

Holy cow, I just read what you quoted and said "I don't remember typing that". lol.  I think GDN originally posted it.  I think you probably edited your post and what you quoted ended up showing me as the original poster.  Still, I agree with what you said. :D

On 2/5/2024 at 9:05 PM, sledgehammer said:

other than the fact, that someone from the store set up an account, and opened the thread about a theft of a pressing submission last summer?

lol missed that !  :foryou:

There was another reason.  

On 2/6/2024 at 11:59 AM, EastEnd1 said:

Here's the reference in the court filing to Comic Book Station.  They are not a litigant however.

IMG_1837.jpg

"Approximately 369..." - are they not sure?  ???

On 2/5/2024 at 6:35 PM, mosconi said:

If CGC can gather the evidence that the store owner received monetary compensation from the millions of dollars of scam slabs over the years from Zanello, then the benefit of doubt will be out the window.  A documented money trail/money transfers from scammer to store owner would be a starting point to investigate.  I'm no skilled detective, but at this point we can only speculate what kind of shenanigans were going on between 

IMG_7921.jpeg

On 2/6/2024 at 7:45 AM, AJD said:

"Approximately 369..." - are they not sure?  ???

They've been using this "approximately" for everything, including the 350 list. One of the things I've mentioned in past posts as being very unusual. 

On 2/5/2024 at 10:19 PM, paqart said:

I wonder if the CGC strategy is to sue first, so they can hold a criminal complaint over their head, get the info they need, then file criminal case also?

isn't it normally the other way around? Usually Civil court remedy is the consolation prize or the icing on the cake AFTER a criminal complaint. The fact that they didn't start there speaks volumes. CGC must have more to lose or more to hide than they are willing to risk.  Or, as a business, not a person, they just don't care, and the accountants said it's not worth pursuing. Businesses aren't pre-occupied with human abstractions like "justice" Even though corporations are deemed to have the legal rights of people, they're above all that.

Edited by MyNameIsLegion