• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 5 Comics-to-Screenplays

27 posts in this topic

In lew of FF coming out on DVD this week, and the thread dedicated to it, I was curious as to everyone's top comic book movies of all time.

I have not seen FF yet, but I'm not expecting much. Especially since I was somewhat disappointed by Batman Begins (Michael Kane was the best part of the film).

Anyway, in this poll, you can choose to include all sequals as one choice (for example, Spider-Man 1 and 2) or you can choose one of a series that was obviously better than the others (i.e. Batman).

Here are my picks ...

1. Spider-Man 1 & 2 -- Really, these movies just incorporated everything about Spider-Man that makes him one of the most loved comic book characters of all-time. The hiding of his identity from his loved ones; the guilt of being partially responsible for Uncle Ben's death. IMO, you can't ask for any more from a comic-related flick.

2. Sin City -- I have never read a Sin City trade, and didn't know a thing about it before I saw the movie; but it was pretty darn good.

3. Superman I & II -- Yeah, so, they're old and the effects sucked; but Christopher Reeves was the epitome of a Superman. The main theme still gives me chills to this day.

4. Hellboy -- You don't even have to read Hellboy books to get into this movie. I thought it was done rather well; and actually sparked my interest in Hellboy and B.P.R.D. stories.

5. Batman -- Michael Keaton was an awesome Batman/Bruce Wayne. Everyone since has just been eye-candy for the ladies; Bale included. You cannot have a better Batman film than one which contains the Joker. And the Batmobile kicked [embarrassing lack of self control]. The damn tank they used in Batman Begins was ridiculous. What I liked most about this one was that they stayed true to the times, in terms of architecture, automobiles, and the like.

Just falling short on the list is the first X-Men movie, and Daredevil. Both could have been slightly better, but you gotta admit, for some of the junk Hollywood has been producing lately, they were pretty good comparatively.

1) Batman Begins

Like Ebert said "The comic book movie I've been waiting for."

2) Sin City

I also have never read one of the trades, but this movie is incredible. (Might switch it to #1)

3) X-Men 1 & 2

Great cast and well done stories and effects.

4) SpiderMan 1 & 2

Just the basic Spidey mythos, but well done.

5) Superman

Good movie - just wish they had played Lex seriously. What a waste of Hackman's talent.

1) Mars Attacks*

2) Batman (1989)

3) Spider-Man 2 (just).

4) Ghost World ( foreheadslap.gif)

And the rest generally are not worthy of a mention, although Batman Forever, Batman And Robin, Superman 4, The Hulk, and The Fantastic Four deserve special praise for not actually containing anything that could remotely be termed a "-script", or having any concern over basic things like "character development".

And of course Constantine for being a screenplay cliche primer, not to mention the ultimate example of a comic based film that wilfully murdered its' source material.

* Although Mars Attacks isn't exactly comic related, I thought it captured the essence of comics pretty well.

1) Batman Begins

Like Ebert said "The comic book movie I've been waiting for."

2) Sin City

I also have never read one of the trades, but this movie is incredible. (Might switch it to #1)

3) X-Men 1 & 2

Great cast and well done stories and effects.

4) SpiderMan 1 & 2

Just the basic Spidey mythos, but well done.

5) Superman

Good movie - just wish they had played Lex seriously. What a waste of Hackman's talent.

re; spider-man 2, ebert said it was the best superhero movie of all time. acclaim.gif

Would American Splender count? If so, that'll do. Otherwise...

Batman Begins

Spider-Man 1&2

X-Men 1&2

Hellboy

Sin City (though I didn't really care for it, it was a great *comic book* movie)

Any love for M.I.B.?

Also, though unproduced, let me nominate screenplays I've read (long ago) for Plastic Man and Jonny Quest.