• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shapeshifting Martians

12 posts in this topic

Why are shapeshifting Martians such a thing in comics? If you're from Mars it's basically guaranteed you can shapeshift. I've just started reading Black Hammer and the character Barbalien in that is a Martian shapeshifter. Before that a recent book I read was Invincible, which featured shapeshifting Martians, most notably Shapesmith. Plus of course, we must take into account the character who was certainly the first I knew of, Martian Manhunter. 

Who are some other Martians who fit this trope? Can you think of any who  don't? Why do you think it's become such a trope in the first place? 

My favorite martian TV show had antennae but I don't think could "shapeshift" 

Then there is Marvin the martian but while I'm sure there were comics, idk if they are early enough to be considered 1st iterations. lol 

Still fun references haha

On 12/24/2023 at 11:53 AM, Cat said:

Why are shapeshifting Martians such a thing in comics? If you're from Mars it's basically guaranteed you can shapeshift. I've just started reading Black Hammer and the character Barbalien in that is a Martian shapeshifter. Before that a recent book I read was Invincible, which featured shapeshifting Martians, most notably Shapesmith. Plus of course, we must take into account the character who was certainly the first I knew of, Martian Manhunter. 

In the case of your first two examples (Barbalien and Shapesmith), I believe the answer is found in your third example.

That is to say, the first two are takeoffs/homages to the third, so of course they shape-shift.

Weird.  I've never noticed them to be able to shapeshift.  I always remember them having antennae and/or being green. lol.  I was born in the 70s, but most of my recollection of Martian comics and tv shows are from the 50's or 60's, I think.  I loved watching re-runs of My Favorite Martian as a kid.

As an aside, the excellent Martian Manhunter series by Steve Orlando and Riley Rossmo has a very interesting and creative explanation as to why the Manhunter looked human when he was first transported to Earth.

Edited by Ken Aldred

There is a 1940s Republic Serial called The Purple Monster where the Martians could duplicate humans, but only once, and the humans went to limbo. There is a sequel of sorts, Flying Disc Men From Mars, that uses much of the same footage but has a different plot, and the Martians have different powers. I was five when I first saw The Purple Monster and the idea terrified me.  They showed it in the afternoon on a kids show.

On 12/25/2023 at 7:35 PM, shadroch said:

There is a 1940s Republic Serial called The Purple Monster where the Martians could duplicate humans, but only once, and the humans went to limbo

670467.jpg

Yes, I know he’s not Martian. Just a similarity.