• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Better Late Than Never Ernie Bushmiller Thread
2 2

42 posts in this topic

These books bring back memories of reading newspaper strips in the Sunday color sections that still existed in the early seventies. Our local paper had an OK section but my grandmother took the Daily News which still had a tabloid book of comics that came with the Sunday paper. I saved a bunch of those for a long time but discarded them in a move many years ago. They were a throwback to glory days with the front featuring a full page of D**k Tracy and the back featuring Dondi in a full page. The interiors were pretty extensive as I recall but there were now new favorites amongst the more classic strips. Blondie, Prince Valiant, Gasoline Alley and Smokey Stover were still around but newer strips like BC, Hagar and Doonesbury were now on the scene. You can barely get a newspaper today let alone a comics section and the last Sunday papers I received had such a paltry excuse for a comics page it was depressing.

Time marches on; I'm not wired enough to know where to go look for today's equivalent, but it must exist. And I'm sure the future of AI computing will deliver some interesting takes on story telling in a digital form. Good for today's generation but I still love the feel of newsprint between my fingers!!

On 1/5/2024 at 8:35 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Time marches on; I'm not wired enough to know where to go look for today's equivalent, but it must exist. And I'm sure the future of AI computing will deliver some interesting takes on story telling in a digital form. Good for today's generation but I still love the feel of newsprint between my fingers!!

Maybe the memes that circulate on social media are today's equivalent of daily strips. (What a depressing thought!)

On 1/5/2024 at 9:09 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Maybe the memes that circulate on social media are today's equivalent of daily strips. (What a depressing thought!)

That’s a pretty apropos analogy: they do remind me somewhat of single panel gags like Marmaduke or The Far Side. 

On 1/5/2024 at 10:16 PM, PopKulture said:

That’s a pretty apropos analogy: they do remind me somewhat of single panel gags like Marmaduke or The Far Side. 

So I guess the memes would be the one-panel comics, and the gifs would be the multi-panel strips.