• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions Apr 4-7 2024
5 5

361 posts in this topic

On 4/5/2024 at 2:27 PM, Fischb1 said:

Show me any comp outside of that one day and those 2 pages. Even 1. 

I don't know. How much did the 252 Cover or the SW 8 cover sell for? The were sold privately. 

On 4/5/2024 at 2:21 PM, Fischb1 said:

Have to say I disagree strongly with both of these assessments.

Not sure where you're getting your Byrne comps from but the last Byrne X-Men page was better imo and sold for the exact same price (81k). And before that, the one in 2023, was much better (with prof x and the whole team), and it sold for 90. Where are you comping that this was a 30k discount?

And same for the 252 page. There was one crazy day where 2 black spidey pages sold super high. Outside of that day, if I told you that a 252 page was going to sell for 174k, that would be a HUGE number. Where do you see anywhere except for that one crazy sale of 2 pages that this isn't a GREAT number? 

Sounds like you have a narrative ready to go and you're bending the facts to fit it.

The X-Men page sold for close to expected. The ASM page was a WOW sale.  

Fisch, its fine to disagree and discuss.  the last time somebody disagreed with me regarding my comments on auction results for OA, I spent considerable time preparing my point by point response and the result was a lot of agreement.

I base my comments on numerous factors, as you do with yours.  Given I am not in the best of health, I would be happy to discuss with you at a later date, point by point.

FYI, the last Byrne X-Men page sold for $56K, if I recall correctly.  Perhaps you are thinking about another one?  Most Likely the page from X-Men 137?

On 4/5/2024 at 11:07 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Thus far,

sal Buscema Cap 137 cover sold for the same price back in 2019

Byrne Xmen page went at $30K discount

Frenz ASM 252 page … a steal at $174K

Hannigan Spec Spidey 64 complete interiors average $7.4K per page seems strong 

Heck ToS 39 page - congrats to the seller!

Romita Jr DD 254 cover seemed light by 25%

Eisner stuff - good to see prices reflect the importance of his work

X-Men #121 Bynre page did not go for a discount but set a record for a page from the issue.

The pages you must be referring to are the ones from the Phoenix Saga (129-137) that you comparing to.

$81K is a very healthy number for the Alpha Flight issue, pages from that have gone for much less. Comparing a Phoenix Saga Byrne X-Men page and an Alpha Flight Byrne X-Men page is apples and oranges. There was no discount here. I think it got a record for a page from that issue. It went for $30K more than another page back in Sept of last year.

There was only one other Byrne X-Men panel page (outside of Phoenix Saga) that went for more than the X-Men #121 in ha and that was from issue #113 and it had the whole team.

On 4/5/2024 at 2:39 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Given I am not in the best of health, I would be happy to discuss with you at a later date, point by point.

This is the only thing that is important. I'm sorry about your health. Get better soon!

On 4/5/2024 at 2:30 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I don't know. How much did the 252 Cover or the SW 8 cover sell for? The were sold privately. 

So you're comparing this interior page to your imagined (and unknown) prices of 2 iconic covers? So it would be a bad comp even if you had the values, but you don't have the values so you don't even have a comp?

Great!

On 4/5/2024 at 2:42 PM, Fischb1 said:

So you're comparing this interior page to your imagined (and unknown) prices of 2 iconic covers? So it would be a bad comp even if you had the values, but you don't have the values so you don't even have a comp?

Great!

No. You asked for comps. I was referring to the discussion among collectors (which included a publicly known offer made by a well-known dealer). I said it was "speculation." But, if you want to discuss that, if the SW 8 panel page/splash went for 3-4 times the cover to either issue, that suggests the comp.

On 4/1/2024 at 4:46 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I hear you, but I have a feeling this time will be different because this auction is the first whereby there will be only two days of OA auctions and I think a lot of folks will forget about that

Very strong price for the Mark Schultz Xenozoic Tales Hannah Dundee T-Shirt Illustration $33,6k

On 4/5/2024 at 2:47 PM, Matches_Malone said:

Very strong price for the Mark Schultz Xenozoic Tales Hannah Dundee T-Shirt Illustration $33,6k

I never even saw the image before but almost bid on it when it was in the low 20s. Such a beautiful piece of art!

On 4/5/2024 at 11:47 AM, Matches_Malone said:

It went for 50% more than the Xenozoic Tales #5 Cover which was published the same year.