• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions Apr 4-7 2024
5 5

361 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2024 at 9:30 PM, Bronty said:

Pencil only, no backgrounds, etc?   Seems pretty decent to me.    An aggressive prior ask doesn't mean the auction price wasn't solid IMO.

I believe it sold for $8K or $10K on Kwan's site. That is a significant loss for whoever bought it before. 

Edited by Matches_Malone

On 4/8/2024 at 5:11 AM, buttock said:

I don't know why it always surprises me how much modern OA goes for, but it does.  There's just so much of it.  

Not as much as how much modern books go for.  There's even more of them! 

Edited by tth2

On 4/8/2024 at 9:51 AM, delekkerste said:

Today's live session has been going on for almost 9 hours now. :facepalm: 

It's a marathon, which is probably why it feels like I've won more today, at prices I'm very happy with, than I have in the last few years combined. 

My max bids, which I input before going to sleep, have more stamina than live bidders!   :manhero:

On 4/7/2024 at 10:48 PM, MyNameIsLegion said:

jesus christ, that went on forever,  :151549297_waiting3: they sold everything but the Kitch.....

oh wait...:wavingwhiteflag:

Funny one!!! Agree with all - super long, I made it for ~ 8 hours on and off and then proxy bid - overall, I feel the market is holding up rather well!

On 4/7/2024 at 7:39 AM, J.Sid said:

Have to disagree with this. Take a step back and look again. Miller. Elektra. Vintage. An absolutely fantastic image. If drawn on one board it would have gone for 2x the result. Probably much more.

Actually if this were drawn on one board the consignor probably would not have selected it to consign. It would take a 7-figure offer to pry it away.

Just my 2c

I don't think that would have made a difference as the consigner has a large selection of Miller DD art and this was only put up for auction to pay for something he likes much better.

I thought the Domínguez cover from the Phantom Stranger at $10,500 was very strong. What I would have wanted, however, was the Kaluta Spectre cover. Beautifully proportioned.

On 4/7/2024 at 9:49 PM, Matches_Malone said:

I believe it sold for $8K or $10K on Kwan's site. That is a significant loss for whoever bought it before. 

OK, that's good to know, but I still think 4-5k is pretty good value when you look at what his other battle chasers stuff has auctioned for.

The 8-10k buy just seems like it was an overreach to me.

On 4/7/2024 at 1:37 PM, Matches_Malone said:

Jon Bogdanove  Superman: The Man of Steel #21 Cover hammered at $38.4K  Didn't see that coming.

image.png.79ae53189e6e30d7c00d359a06d81d60.png

:facepalm:

On 4/8/2024 at 9:51 AM, Bronty said:

OK, that's good to know, but I still think 4-5k is pretty good value when you look at what his other battle chasers stuff has auctioned for.

The 8-10k buy just seems like it was an overreach to me.

The market is setting the price for Madureira Battle Chasers material. Without any public offering until recently, we could only base it on the dealer's ask.  The recent hammered results are remarkably less than what was initially asked for on these specific pieces. There is always going to be a Red Monika tax. 

image.png.a2c73f1e016adc2060942b30f7bd2d2b.png

image.png.63e8ee3a101375664bda0aa9da57c762.png

image.png.548b4c0fe8545ab287174fc999c0f267.png

Edited by Matches_Malone

On 4/8/2024 at 10:35 AM, Matches_Malone said:

The market is setting the price for Madureira Battle Chasers material. Without any public offering until recently, we could only base it on the dealer's ask.  The recent hammered results are remarkably less than what was initially asked for on these specific pieces. There is always going to be a Red Monika tax. 

image.png.a2c73f1e016adc2060942b30f7bd2d2b.png

image.png.63e8ee3a101375664bda0aa9da57c762.png

image.png.548b4c0fe8545ab287174fc999c0f267.png

And its the same with respect to the BC stuff that was on HA.    a #1 page went for 5k.  

So circling back to this pencil piece, if a pencil piece does as much as a #1 page, we have to say it did pretty well. 

On 4/8/2024 at 10:42 AM, Bronty said:

And its the same with respect to the BC stuff that was on HA.    a #1 page went for 5k.  

So circling back to this pencil piece, if a pencil piece does as much as a #1 page, we have to say it did pretty well

Not if you bought it for $8k :S:wavingwhiteflag:

On 4/8/2024 at 11:04 AM, Matches_Malone said:

Not if you bought it for $8k :S:wavingwhiteflag:

I don't think it was a great buy at 4k either, personally.     So if it wasn't a great buy, I guess it did well lol 

On 4/8/2024 at 5:53 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I thought the Domínguez cover from the Phantom Stranger at $10,500 was very strong. What I would have wanted, however, was the Kaluta Spectre cover. Beautifully proportioned.

Followed up by and equally strong $9K for the House of Mystery Cover.