• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 Books in 2024
3 3

206 posts in this topic

On 1/11/2024 at 10:12 PM, rlextherobot said:

29. Captain America #321
30. Jimmy Olsen #138
31. Jimmy Olsen #139
32. New Gods #3
33. Forever People #3
34. Mister Miracle #3
35. Forever People #4

Gotta slow down on the Fourth World a bit, its like eating a bunch of sugary candy, after a while you start to get a tummy ache 

You might find that Jimmy Olsen runs out of steam a bit after a while. For me, the weakest Fourth World title.

On 1/11/2024 at 4:10 PM, Ken Aldred said:

You might find that Jimmy Olsen runs out of steam a bit after a while. For me, the weakest Fourth World title.

Oh I've read the whole saga many times. I di enjoy the Jimmy Olsen stuff to a degree (the weird Dracula planet story is fun) but some of it (like the Goodie Rickles issues) is practically incomprehensible.

I finished JLA The Deluxe Edition By Brad Meltzer. I've read these issues a few times over the years, bought them new off the racks, and besides the Eisner-winning #11 'Walls', there's not a whole lot of greatness here. Not anything I hate, but no stories that stand out. The art is marvellous, however, with Ed Benes handling most of the pencils. 

Skip the collection and just get #11. It's worth it. 

That's 15 more issues, taking me up to 112 so far for 2024.

I just read Brit volume 1, another book set in the Invincible universe. This one wasn't as enjoyable for me as the other material, but it was from very early on in the piece, so things were still falling into place creatively. It wasn't bad by any means, it just didn't excite me like the other Invincible universe stuff I've read. I have ordered volume 2 though, I intend to see the series through. Art by Tony Moore, and nice colours by the nicest guy in comics, Val Staples. 

The tpb contains 3 'books'. A book is roughly 46 pages each, so a tpb does contain the same as a regular 6 issue tpb, actually a bit more as there's also a 7 page epilogue and sketchbook. So that's 3 more to my total, taking me to 115 for the year to date. 

Next up: Infinity Inc/JSA The Generations Saga! 

On 1/13/2024 at 6:52 PM, Cat said:

Next up: Infinity Inc/JSA The Generations Saga! 

Good choice. I was thinking about re-reading those.  I'll leave it until next year.

A shame the McFarlane issues haven't been reprinted.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 1/14/2024 at 5:11 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Good choice. I was thinking about re-reading those.  I'll leave it until next year.

A shame the McFarlane issues haven't been reprinted.

It really is. I'm still pissed they only reprinted the first volume. I mean come on, how much would they have lost making volume 2? They were able to commit to volume 1, so why not 2? 

On 1/13/2024 at 8:50 PM, Cat said:

It really is. I'm still pissed they only reprinted the first volume. I mean come on, how much would they have lost making volume 2? They were able to commit to volume 1, so why not 2? 

Didn’t ever make sense to discontinue the run, especially as it’s more-or-less immediately taken over and illustrated for quite a while by McFarlane, and you’d think there would be sufficient demand.

Edited by Ken Aldred

We re always on the road with Superman! Yesterday i read my 8th (related) issue which was Starman #28, we re still on the Krymson Kryptonite Storyline, this time superman called Starman to try to help him ti recover his powers but unfortunately not even it worked... he just almost burned him...Screenshot_20240114-132742_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4947a7af8525941e66c9fa3cdbd713c8.jpg

So an alternative will be used for the moment that superman still weak, Starman will literally replace him! We even see him make an intrusion at the Luthor Office and give real chills to Lex who cannot trust that Superman get back his powers...lol

never heard of starman before but seems to be a really good one, i will check more stuff from his 90 s run.

Screenshot_20240114-133038_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c080eed7d2039e6f996f85a61383478b.jpg

On 1/14/2024 at 2:44 PM, srezvan said:

I was able to get some reading done while on the road. 

The two God of War books were decent. Didn't really add a lot to the overall story, but they were fun reads. Giga was a bit disappointing. A rushed and pretty obvious ending.

20240108_092754.jpg

Is it better than the games?lol

On 1/14/2024 at 2:22 PM, BA773 said:

Is it better than the games?lol

Doubtful.

On 1/14/2024 at 7:07 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Didn’t ever make sense to discontinue the run, especially as it’s more-or-less immediately taken over and illustrated for quite a while by McFarlane, and you’d think there would be sufficient demand.

Exactly. You'd think that would life the sales, but we'll never find out will we. Way to go, DC, reprinting part 1 of a 2 part story. Genius. Pure genius. 

Read Usagi Yojimbo Saga book 1 comprised of volumes 8-10 (590 pages pages from UY 1-16 volume 2 and UY 1-6 volume 3).

Many great stories including a crossover with the TMNT.

UsagiTMNT_20240108-230201.png.db654612b19d21e5a2dde68d4359fa4d.png

A possible new love interest - Chizu from the Neko ninja clan.

UsagiChizu_20240108-225751.png.432a814e3280280080dfb2e893b3ebb4.png

An old love interest from his past - Princess Kinuko.

UsagiKinukoDearly_20240113-083344.png.24ce62c6e43bc312aedc8a586688dfb1.png

Teaming up with a new mysterious bounty hunter - Stray Dog.

UsagiGenStrayDog_20240113-072923.png.5c66a09ee9f1e8587f89fec230b171b9.png

And, as always, more duels to the death ☠️ - with Usagi always winning.

UsagiDuel_20240112-073145.png.b8b851c203f999c80994c35d187b6771.png

Lots of fun samurai action. (thumbsu

Just now found this thread lol.

Oz: Reign Of The Witch Queen 1-6

I liked the first Oz, Grimm Fairy Tales Presents Oz, and the prequel Tales From Oz better than Warlord and Reign. There are some good parts, but the story felt messy and a bit convoluted in the 2nd and 3rd volumes.

Bruce Lee: The Dragon Rises FCBD 0#

Don't think Bruce Lee having amnesia was the right way to go. It didn't have a Bruce Lee feeling to me, but others seem to like it more than I do.

arkworld.jpg.9be42f5a018d6cbce50678549f040b5a.jpg

Arkworld Vol. 1-3

In this series, each entry is called a volume. The volumes are about two comics long so it's basically six issues worth. The story imagines what the past was like, with gravity tools that move the heavy pyramid blocks, confidential information disclosed through drugs, now extinct creatures, etc. It's most fun when it focuses on the past. I found the modern sections less interesting visually and character wise.

The large number of characters and going back in forth and time is the biggest hurdle. It's a lot to follow. For me, the cool ways it implemented older cultures, the romance, the action, and the mystery made it intriguing enough to keep reading. But unless you really dig history it's tough to recommend. Especially since the story doesn't seem like it'll be finished.

Alright, I've read the Infinity Inc Generations Saga HC Part 1. Enjoyable as always, just wish DC would reprint the second half as well. As is I've now got to go through my back issues for the second half. Inconvenient, and not as nice a presentation. 

I also read Skybound's Transformers 1-4,with #4 being new. A very enjoyable issue, with a surprise appearance by 

Spoiler

Jazz. 

Considering he's on the cover to #7, he may be sticking around. I also read Skybound's Duke #1, and though I'm not much of a GIJOE fan, I loved this one. Really enjoyable. Can't wait to see where it goes next. 

All up, those take me to 127 for the year to date. 

On 1/15/2024 at 8:07 PM, Cat said:

Alright, I've read the Infinity Inc Generations Saga HC Part 1. Enjoyable as always, just wish DC would reprint the second half as well. As is I've now got to go through my back issues for the second half. Inconvenient, and not as nice a presentation. 

We've both seen comics reprinted in DC trade paperbacks that are nowhere near as good as Infinity Inc, in terms of both story and art.

Some of their choices have been quite surprising.

Might seem like going on a bit about the topic for some, but we're both JSA fans.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 1/16/2024 at 6:49 AM, Ken Aldred said:

We've both seen comics reprinted in DC trade paperbacks that are nowhere near as good as Infinity Inc, in terms of both story and art.

Some of their choices have been quite surprising.

Might seem like going on a bit about the topic for some, but we're both JSA fans.

Exactly, they make some baffling choices, then they finally reprint this, and we only get part 1. Still not forgiven DC. 

Also still not over all the times they've solicited a hardcover reprint of the 1992 JSA series, only to cancel it last minute, every single time. Just release it, it's a good series. Instead they give us the 1991 series, which doesn't hold a candle to the '92.