• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 Books in 2024
4 4

295 posts in this topic

On 7/25/2024 at 11:21 AM, Cat said:

and killed my love of reading for some reason

Anhedonia. Common after traumatic loss.

Frustrating inability to enjoy interests which you previously got great joy from. 
It should taper off with time. Bear with it.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/25/2024 at 11:11 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Anhedonia. Common after traumatic loss.

OMG. Thank you for making sense of that. I never even thought to talk to my doctor about my loss of enjoyment of activities like reading. Never came to mind. 

Thank you so much, Ken. I read that, everything fell into place, my jaw dropped, and now I'm looking back at things with awe. 

dracsgauntlet.jpg.667b3847ba3a78b5eb2908ee6bfd7fc3.jpg

Deadpool: Dracula's Gauntlet (Amazon's Infinite Comics version)

This comic basically has it all. The romance between Deadpool and new character Shiklah gives the story its heart. Her design is great. I like that she has a beast or demon form. Her little dragon thing is cool too. The comedy is balanced by a lot of action. There's a bit of gore. Blade is the main cameo hero. He feels right at home with vampires being involved. The story is fast paced with a ton of characters. It's an easy comic to recommend.

On 7/31/2024 at 1:41 AM, Djedi said:

dracsgauntlet.jpg.667b3847ba3a78b5eb2908ee6bfd7fc3.jpg

Deadpool: Dracula's Gauntlet (Amazon's Infinite Comics version)

This comic basically has it all. The romance between Deadpool and new character Shiklah gives the story its heart. Her design is great. I like that she has a beast or demon form. Her little dragon thing is cool too. The comedy is balanced by a lot of action. There's a bit of gore. Blade is the main cameo hero. He feels right at home with vampires being involved. The story is fast paced with a ton of characters. It's an easy comic to recommend.

It can't be that new. Shiklah has had a Marvel Legends figure available around 3/4 years ago. 

Thanks for the rec though, I'll check it out. 

On 7/25/2024 at 8:21 PM, Cat said:

Done. 1000 books HIT. Latest reads include the 52 omnibus, a reread of the 2023 Green Lantern ongoing (now up to #13, enjoyable take on things so far), and a heap of assorted single issues including keeping up to date with Transformers and all of Skybound's Energon Universe, and the same with the JSA miniseries for Sandman, Jay Garrick Flash, and Alan Scott Green Lantern. Nothing really out there, just some fun books I've mostly enjoyed a lot. 

I would have been here a lot sooner, but my recovery from the passing of my cat really set me back, and killed my love of reading for some reason. I'm getting back to it now though, just taking it a bit slower. 

Hope you're all well! 

@CGC Mike Do we get a custom title for hitting the target first? A free Action Comics #1? You just, just the usual fare. 

• Administrator
On 7/31/2024 at 12:10 PM, Cat said:

@CGC Mike Do we get a custom title for hitting the target first?

What?  You have a custom title.  I probably spent hours on it.  Possibly weeks.  Are you saying you don't like it?  

On 8/1/2024 at 2:28 AM, CGC Mike said:

What?  You have a custom title.  I probably spent hours on it.  Possibly weeks.  Are you saying you don't like it?  

No Sir, I was just thinking this is a solid group achievement we don't recognise, I didn't mean to interrupt existing custom titles sir, which you worked very hard and diligently in Sir.

If you'll excuse me ill just go read some of those horrid Ant-Dude comics. 

I apologise once AGAIN, SIR! 

• Administrator
On 7/31/2024 at 2:32 PM, Cat said:
On 7/31/2024 at 12:28 PM, CGC Mike said:

No Sir, I was just thinking this is a solid group achievement we don't recognise, I didn't mean to interrupt existing custom titles sir, which you worked very hard and diligently in Sir.

If you'll excuse me ill just go read some of those horrid Ant-Dude comics. 

I apologise once AGAIN, SIR! 

Surely, you know I was kidding.  1000 books in 7 months is a great achievement.  (thumbsu 

On 8/1/2024 at 10:14 AM, CGC Mike said:

Surely, you know I was kidding.  1000 books in 7 months is a great achievement.  (thumbsu 

Yeah I was playing along, mate. :highfive:And thank you. The only part I found difficult was post the passing of my cat, which Ken so kindly explained to me is a phenomenon called Anhedonia, making it difficult to enjoy reading. Otherwise I'd have been done a good month and a bit earlier. 

On 7/31/2024 at 12:08 PM, Cat said:

It can't be that new. Shiklah has had a Marvel Legends figure available around 3/4 years ago. 

Thanks for the rec though, I'll check it out. 

By new I meant that Shiklah was introduced in that series. So you can read it without feeling like you're missing prior information on her or the relationship with Deadpool. It's a good series to just jump into without having to have read other stuff. I should have worded it better.

217 comics so far this year.

X of Swords: The big build up after 16 Dawn of X trade paperbacks. This was all over the board. I went in not looking forward to it. I got excited about the proposition of actual fights between the competitors, then it was just a bunch of nonsense. Whenever you have characters who can basically control reality, the story rarely goes in an interesting direction. Some bright spots, but the reboot of Apocalypse's origin was disappointing and the contests between the combatants was a letdown.

image.thumb.jpeg.a28e96eadcf066d48d175422c38afada.jpeg

The Gauntlet. A purchase from a local show. Great artwork and fun story.

image.thumb.jpeg.ed81b3936c37b4abd1f2bb1ac8e00d2d.jpeg

Edited by srezvan

On 5/11/2024 at 11:58 PM, ttfitz said:

bringing the yearly total to 227.

It's been a while, and I'm woefully behind my goals. This will be a two-part update, first we have the standard day by day reading.

FCBD Flash Gordon #0
Flash Gordon #1

A pretty good revival of the old character, interested to see where this is going.

The Nice House on the Lake 1-12
I've been reading and enjoying Something Is Killing the Children and The House of Slaughter, but I had missed this when it came out. When I saw the new book in the solicitations and realized this was a title from James Tynion IV, I said to myself, "Self, you should check this out." And after I read a couple issues, I said to my daughter, "Daughter, you really should check this out." And we were both blown away, wow, this book was so good! So I say to all of you, "All of you, you really should check this out."

Alan Scott Green Lantern 1-6
Another of the Golden Age characters, this wasn't bad, but I think I liked the Sandman one better. Still worth a read for fans.

007 James Bond (2015) 1-12
Warren Ellis' portrayal of the agent from Her Majesty's Secret Service, and like most of Mr Ellis' work, it's pretty good.

The Road to Perdition
I've finished up the currently reprinted Ms Tree stories, so to get my Max Allen Collins fix, I moved to this graphic novel. Based in part on a true story, and the source material for the movie by the same name. MAC is always good for a crime story, and this is no exception.

Cemetery Beach 1-7
Remember what I said above about Warren EllisWell, this isn't it. I mean, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. Just okay.

007 James Bond (2023) 1-6
Moving on from Ellis, alphabetically it was on to Garth Ennis and his interpretation of Bond. James Bond. Sorry. Anyway, we are on to His Majesty's Secret Service, but still the same ole James, getting himself into trouble. Ennis does a fine job on this one, but really, what do we expect?

Norse Mythology III 1-6
Telling tales that have been around for hundreds of years can't be easy to make new, but except for maybe Walter Simonson, I don't think anyone could do as good a job with the assignment as Neil Gaiman. As much fun as the previous volumes.

Superman '78 1-6
This was just okay.

Princess Leia 1-5
Keeping with my earlier practice of using his name as an adjective, this wasn't really as Waid as a lot of his work, but it was a good book from Mark Waid. Liked it but didn't love it.

FCBD Stories from the Atlas Library 
Some fun stuff from this reprint book, if you can find it you should check it out.

From the World of Minor Threats: Fastest Way Down 1-4
I've been enjoying these miniseries from Patton Oswald, and this was no exception, although I think I liked the others better.

Now, Part 2.

If you have been following my posts in these threads over the past few years, you will remember that the manager of my local comic shop has something called Troy's 100 Back Issue a Week Challenge. The rules are pretty simple - over the course of 5 weeks, each week you are challenged to read 100 back issues (defined as more than a year old) of your choosing. Starting last Sunday and going on thru the end of August, I will be attempting the Challenge. As I have done on a number of occasions, I have decided to read books where the main character(s) are celebrating an "evenly divisible by 5" anniversary of their start. So, for week one we have the following:

Batman 272-300
Detective Comics 455-476
Brave and the Bold 124-148

From his beginnings in Detective Comics #27 in 1939, I couldn't pass up this chance to do some reading on Batman's 85th anniversary. I had read earlier issues from my collection 5 years ago on the 80th anniversary, so that's where I started this time. This would be mid-to-late 70s, and like most DC's from that time frame, there were some classics - There is No Hope in Crime Alley! - and some clunkers. But mostly a fun bit of nostalgia, some that I'd read before, some that were new.

Showcase 22-24
Green Lantern 1-21

The Silver Age Green Lantern made his debut in 1959, so this was high on my list for this year's Challenge. A lot of the classic lore began in these books, and it's been fun seeing how they develop.

So, looks like 73 issues before the Challenge started (I counted The Road to Perdition as 6), plus 100 for week one brings us to a yearly total of....

400 issues for the year.

See you next week with more of The Batman, Green Lantern, and probably Supergirl. Perhaps other newer stuff, who knows?

Edited by ttfitz
explanation of total

On 6/3/2024 at 7:12 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Human Target 1 to 12, and Tales of the Human Target one-shot

Really liked Tom King’s story. Greg Smallwood’s artwork is excellent, with a perfectly-matched 60’s, crime-noir retro look to it.

Yeah, this was excellent, even if I didn't like the (expected) ending.

On 7/25/2024 at 6:21 AM, Cat said:

I would have been here a lot sooner, but my recovery from the passing of my cat really set me back, and killed my love of reading for some reason. I'm getting back to it now though, just taking it a bit slower. 

Sorry to hear about your cat. Pet deaths are hard - one of our dogs died in November last year; he could be very annoying and would often snap at me if he was sitting by my wife and I came around, and I still miss him a lot.

On 7/31/2024 at 8:14 PM, CGC Mike said:

It is! Congrats @Cat :headbang:

Now do it 13 years in a row :devil:

• 2023 : 1305 comics read
  • 2022 : 1485 comics read
  • 2021 : 1418 comics read
  • 2020 : 1013 comics read
  • 2019 : 1161 comics read
  • 2018 : 1289 comics read
  • 2017 : 1305 comics read
  • 2016 : 1668 comics read
  • 2015 : 1785 comics read
  • 2014 : 2226 comics read
  • 2013 : 2563 comics read
  • 2012 : 2500 comics read
  • 2011 : 2245 comics read

On 8/5/2024 at 4:35 AM, ttfitz said:

Yeah, this was excellent, even if I didn't like the (expected) ending.

I preferred it to Danger Street.

Been a while since I last posted but I think this is everything I’ve read since then.

Ultimate Invasion #1-4 Normally I like Hickman but this was forgettable. Don’t really like Hitch’s art either.

Fantastic Four (2022) #1-19 This is a fun series and one I’ll keep reading as it’s released on Marvel Unlimited.

Detective Comics (2011) #1-7 These are so bad, I read them as they came out but stopped… now I remember why.

Detective Comics (2011) #30-40 Manapul’s short run on this was ok, the art was the best part for me.

Detective Comics (2016) #934-963 Really like Tynion’s run so far, more of a Bat family book than strictly Batman but I still really like it.

Doom Patrol (1987) #19-22 I’ve read Morrison’s DP run before but never finished it, even though I really enjoyed it. Thought I might start over and give it another try.

World’s Finest (2022) #1-17 Thoroughly enjoying this series. It’s a lot of fun and doesn’t take itself too seriously. I also really like Dan Mora’s art.

Total for the year: 589