• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 Books in 2024
3 3

229 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2024 at 4:26 PM, Cat said:

I may be all Lanterned out for a bit

I always like mixing it up.  

Daredevil 158 to 191, What If? 28 and 35

All read in Masterworks format.

One of my favourite runs from when I was a teen. I followed it from 158 onwards, as I’ve always enjoyed seeing how up-and-coming artists evolve, and even from the first issue Miller’s clearly very talented. The first full volume, 159 to 172, is quite readable, though, of course, gets elevated with Miller gradually improving artistically and taking over writing from Roger McKenzie, reaching the peak of his storytelling ability and use of his Kane / Eisner / Krigstein influences; brilliant page / panel layout, design and pacing, impressive choice of camera angles and close-up or remote distancing, fluid figure work, amazing fight choreography, and more and more engaging stories. The second volume, 173 to 181, is the rock-solid classic period. Once the title goes monthly, perhaps there’s a slightly noticeable, heavier reliance on Janson’s inking, but it’s still peak Bronze Age material. It’s really the third volume, 182 up, where I start to lose interest a little.  The stories are still readable, though for me the extended Hand / ninja arc is the weakest and drags a bit.  Miller’s visual storytelling ability and page / panel layout is still exceptional and evident in his breakdowns, but it’s really more and more Klaus Janson’s art and Miller’s input becomes minimal, and the overall effect suffers considerably.  Of course, the run finishes strongly with Miller’s return on the classic “Roulette” issue.

36 issues in total

2024 total = 202

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/26/2024 at 4:36 PM, F For Fake said:

Strikeforce Morituri 1-31

This series was a favorite as a kid, but I never finished it up, and was curious about what I'd think of it nearly 40 years after the fact. So, I picked up the full run on eBay, as it's much cheaper than trying to buy (if you can find them) the three out of print trade collections. And really, I'm glad I read it this way, as it is SO much more nostalgic, smelling the newsprint, seeing all of the ads that were burned into my brain as a kid. That era, from 86-89 or so, is the nostalgia sweet spot for me, and this really took me back.

So, Strikeforce Morituri was an odd duck back in the day, as it wasn't tied into the Marvel universe (except for a couple of tangential connections down the line), was borderline mature readers, and featured a crazy sci-fi concept: Earth has been invaded by an alien Horde, and in response, humanity creates their own superheroes. However, the Morituri process that gives them their powers also shortens their lives, meaning they will explode spectacularly in a year or less.

It's a simply but very effective hook, and over all, this series feels much more in line with what Epic was doing at the time, than a regular Marvel comic.

I'm happy to say that the Peter Gillis run, issues 1-20, held up much better than expected. It's a pretty great comics series. It's a mid-80's superhero comic, so there's plenty of that post-Claremont melodrama and soap opera writing, but the concept is a winner, and the stories are suitably grim. You truly never know who is going to die and when, and you grow to care about the characters for the short time you spend with them. The aliens are baffling and amusing, with their scrotal neck-sacks and penchant for adorning themselves with American pop-culture items. The whole thing enterprise is idiosyncratic enough to make it stand out from the pack.

And of course, there's Brent Anderson on art (except for a couple of fill-ins by the likes of Whilce Portacio), many years before his seminal run on Astro City. He's still finding his sea legs here, but the work is still pretty fantastic. Well composed, naturalistic, great use of shading and dimension. Gillis and Anderson together really make this book sing.

So, yes, I highly enjoyed, and very highly recommend the first 20 issues of Strikeforce Morituri.

Unforunately, the series continued for another 11 issues.

Ugh.

Written by James Hudnall, with art chores by a rotating cast of bland nobodies (though a young Mark Bagley does some credible work in the run), it doesn't take long for the book to be completely stripped of all of its charm and intricacy. This is some truly abysmal writing. The nuance and depth are completely jettisoned, as are most of the major plot-points. The alien Horde are dismissed casually in favor of some sort of story about assassins and a shadow government. You can practically feel the writer's eagerness to jettison everything that came before, to make way for the story he actually wants to tell. It makes no sense given what we'd read up to the point. Characterization is as flat as the bio on a baseball card. This is bad, bad stuff. Do not engage.

Still not sure if I'll ever get around to the five issue miniseries follow up, Electric Undertow, as Hudnall is the writer on that one as well. Feels like I should for the sake of completeness, but...eh.

Anyway, Strikeforce Morituri 1-20, if you haven't read them since they were published, or have never heard of them at all, give them a chance, and find a series that was way outside of the norm of what Marvel was publishing at the time. This is a sad superhero alien invasion soap opera, written ably and illustrated lovingly. Good times. 

Avoid 21-31 at all costs.

My total is now up to 56 for the year. Yeesh, and it's almost April. Not looking good! Meanwhile, I keep buying hardcover comics like they're running out of paper. I have an illness.

Good bargain box read.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/30/2024 at 3:36 AM, mrlatko said:

Picked the Twelve from a recommendation in this thread.  Started with issue 1/2 that I thought was a prequel introducing the new characters.  For the whole book I was thinking "Great job creating a modern book that looks and feels exactly like a golden age comic from the 40s!". Well, that's because I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and these were actual Timely reprints with heroes I had never heard of before that Marvel was reviving to appear in The Twelve.  Doh!  The 12 issue series was really enjoyable.  Straczynski weaves a fun tale about 12 GA heroes who are put into suspended animation by the Nazis and wake up in 2008 to resume their crime fighting careers for the government. A poor man's Watchmen.  The art by Weston was quite good.  Like Secret Wars last month, I wanted more here.  This could have been an ongoing series for years and I would have supported it.

Glad you liked it.

Read Usagi Volume 15 "Grasscutter II: Journey to Atsuta Shrine" (174 pages).

A harrowing adventure and many epic battles with competing ninja clans that leads to a successful conclusion.

UsagiKagemaru_20240330-111115.png.e4ce2ffdb8d9a3dd37cb774ece170771.png

This is as far as I've read in Usagi Yojimbo.  Interested to see what happens next. 

:popcorn:

On 4/1/2024 at 3:16 AM, mrlatko said:

79-84: Green Lantern: Rebirth 1-6 (DC Limited '04')

This was entertaining all around.  Story revolves around Hal Jordan and how he deals with being intertwined with the Spectre, and some old enemies that come calling.  Mysterious badness starts happening to his super-friends on earth, and all heck soon breaks loose.  All Hal's earth-based Lantern buddies get involved and lend a hand.  We also get to see the JLA and JSA.  Couldn't ask for much more in a DC mini.  The writing and art are both excellent.

Going to keep this power ring charged and read the Sinestro Corps War next!

The start of Geoff Johns’ long, extremely consistent, and classic run.

On 4/1/2024 at 12:16 PM, mrlatko said:

79-84: Green Lantern: Rebirth 1-6 (DC Limited '04')

This was entertaining all around.  Story revolves around Hal Jordan and how he deals with being intertwined with the Spectre, and some old enemies that come calling.  Mysterious badness starts happening to his super-friends on earth, and all heck soon breaks loose.  All Hal's earth-based Lantern buddies get involved and lend a hand.  We also get to see the JLA and JSA.  Couldn't ask for much more in a DC mini.  The writing and art are both excellent.

Going to keep this power ring charged and read the Sinestro Corps War next!

There's quite a bit of material in between the 2 events you might want to read, especially if you haven't before. It's all very good stuff. It's only about 16 issues or so, too. 

The Wake 1 to 10

Some interesting ideas about flood myths and sea serpents and why they’re so common in many cultures, the first half is quite good, the second drags and for me has a so-so ending. Not one of Scott Snyder’s best.

Always like Sean Murphy’s art, one of my favourite modern creators.

2024 total = 220

Edited by Ken Aldred

kissphantom.jpg.a40e2645a8988d077aa22aa595ec4b6a.jpg

Kiss: Phantom Obsession

I found the first two issues of this with the Seeley covers. The covers are great even if they are sort of misleading. Marilyn Monroe isn't in this. However, it is a lot about robots and nods to iconic things. In five issues you have multiple kaijus, horror experiments, and more. It's an example of a fast-paced comic that works well. I think because it doesn't take itself too seriously. I won't spoil how Kiss gets powers, but its fun seeing the band fight a wide variety of enemies. This is an easy one to recommend if you want something simple but entertaining. Hoping to get the Seeley covers for 3-5.

James Bond: Vargr

This is the most violent Bond I've seen. He's really a one-man army, both clever and vicious. About a third of the comic is action with little to no dialogue. The action was great. Because it's stylized, the gore didn't seem too extreme. Bond smiles and banters so that helped balance the intensity of the action. The other characters are somewhat memorable, like the tragic villain couple. It's the best Bond comic I've read so far. I did read some of Eidolon, the sequel, but wasn't feeling it as much.

Grimm Fairy Tales Presents: No Tomorrow

This is the beginning of the character Keres. She goes on to be the mascot for the Tales of Terror series. The premise is a man named Patrick is immune to Keres, goddess of death. While she can't kill him, she can kill everyone around him. I ended up liking this a lot. A lot of Zenescope horror is about bad people getting their just deserts. Patrick and his family being sincerely good people was a nice change of pace. I also thought the way it blended in mythology was very well done. It's one of my favorite Zenescope stories so far.

Grimm Tales of Terror Quarterly: Game Night

Other issues of Tales of Terror Quarterly I've read are anthologies. This is one story. A guy who was bullied becomes rich and invites the people who bullied him to a game night, where they can win money. It's a party game with a sort of urban legend vibe. This is definitely a bad people getting just deserts plot, which has some satisfying moments. I thought the fancy hotel was a good setting and the party game aspect felt unique. However, it can get somewhat convoluted with the rules. The villains could have been used better too. It's not one of the best TOT Quarterly IMO, but you may like it more than me.

Vampirella Vol 1 : Forbidden Fruit

2017 series, issues 0 to 5

Entertaining if bizarre story from Paul Cornell, nice art by Jimmy Broxton, a style which wouldn’t look out of place in an original Vampirella Warren magazine.

2024 total = 226