• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 Books in 2024
3 3

228 posts in this topic

warlordofmars.jpg.22202af746ee99522083f3d062cff4c3.jpg

Warlord of Mars 1-9

Dynamite's 2010 Warlord of Mars comic is an adaptation of the original John Carter novels. I enjoyed it a lot. At the beginning you see some of John's earthly life. This gives context for John's character, but the story really takes off once he goes to Mars. Edgar Rice Burroughs was very creative with his world building. Mars is constantly engaging as you learn more about their culture at every turn. I also like how undeniably alien the non-humanoid creatures look, like the "hound" Woola. This Mars is truly distinct.

Despite the early comic covers, Dejah Thoris doesn't appear until issue 4. But the first book that is adapted in 1-9, is referring to her, "A Princess of Mars". She's also John's primary motivation. He is willing to fight a war to save her. There is a romantic feeling to the story although it is action oriented. A Princess of Mars is mostly self-contained telling a satisfying story on its own. After reading this comic version, I understand why John Carter was so influential. John's increased strength and movement on Mars (due to difference in gravity) inspired Superman's powers, the Mars setting popularized the desert for sci-fi fantasy, Dejah Thoris influenced Leia (including her gold bikini) and Neytiri from Avatar, and Martian Manhunter probably wouldn't exist without Tars Tarkas.

On 3/2/2024 at 1:09 PM, rlextherobot said:
On 3/2/2024 at 2:09 AM, ttfitz said:

I feel you, brotha. Perhaps we can convince @rlextherobot to change the title to match?

Happy to do so... what's the format it should adhere to? 

Can't say for the entire period that was mentioned, but the last 3 or 4 years I've taken part the thread title was "1000 books in 20xx"

Flash #798-799. A quick little 2 parter that introduces Wally's new son and the surprise find of 

Spoiler

Mr Terrific's previously deceased son, killed as a foetus in the car crash that killed his mother. 

This is followed up later in a different book, hence why I wanted to see where the story started. Turns out I didn't miss that much. An inoffensive little tale. 

Green Lantern by Geoff Johns omnibus volume 1. It's been so long since I read this material, it felt so good to read it all again. It still holds up, Sinestro Corps War is still a hell of a ride, and I enjoy seeing the amount of 'screen-time' Kyle gets. All in all, quality. Onto volume 2 now, then 3, which is all new material to me, so that's the one I'm gunning for. I quit after Blackest Night, which conveniently is where volume 2 cuts out at. 

All up that takes me to 542 books read for the year to date. I'm happy enough with my progress, which has slowed. That's fine. 

Finished the Brightest Day omni which includes issues #0-24

Also read Magik #1-4

New Mutants #8-14 

Uncanny X-men Annual #7

Didn't love Brightest Day, seemed to drag on for awhile.  Next up is JSA Omnibus vol 3

Total for the year is 291

On 3/4/2024 at 11:56 AM, Rockyjo3 said:

Finished the Brightest Day omni which includes issues #0-24

Also read Magik #1-4

New Mutants #8-14 

Uncanny X-men Annual #7

Didn't love Brightest Day, seemed to drag on for awhile.  Next up is JSA Omnibus vol 3

Total for the year is 291

I didn't think Brightest Day dragged, I was more annoyed at the disparity between character focus. A handful of characters got all the focus, while the majority got a few pages and a simple prophecy instruction, like "throw the boomerang". Overall I did enjoy it though, but that has some heavy nostalgia attached, admittedly. I loved it when it was released. I loved having the focus on the Hawks, Dove, it made me appreciate Deadman. It changed my view on a few characters. 

Good luck with JSA omni 3!

45-49: Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness 1-5 (Marvel/Dynamite limited 2007)

50-53: Robocop vs. Terminator 1-4 (Dark Horse limited 1992)

54: Batman and Mad Monk 1 (DC Limited 2006)

Ok, so I'm into multi-company crossovers this week!

Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness was a blast from start to finish.  Ash was funny and well written throughout.  Enjoyed this.

Robocop vs. Terminator was Frank Miller at his peak powers, fresh off helping write the Robocop 2 screenplay.  Simonson's art was even Miller-like.  This time, Robocop is responsible for accidentally creating the Terminators, and he goes about trying to remedy this.  Enjoyable for a fan of the franchises.

Will discuss Batman when I finish it.

Edited by mrlatko
Typo

On 3/1/2024 at 6:50 AM, Ken Aldred said:

There were quite a lot of tie-in mini-series about the different sectors of Doom’s world, a large number of them very good reads. Impossible to incorporate all of it into that main story arc.

Overall, Omnibus material.

Omar just announced a couple of weeks ago that an omni of the Secret Wars Battleworld stuff will be coming in January 2025. (It's the second announcment in the video, first is The End Omnibus.)

On 3/7/2024 at 12:05 AM, F For Fake said:

Wow, it's already March, and I've only read a handful of books. Got distracted at the beginning of the year reading some books I got for Christmas, including Dungeons and Dragons Art & Arcana: A Visual History (highly recommended, a beautiful book with tons of classic D&D artwork, and I say that as someone who has never played the game), and Werner Herzog's new memoir, "Every Man for Himself, and God Against All", a truly riveting and hallucinatory autobiography. Good stuff. Oh, also read Bob Odenkirk's memoir "Comedy, Comedy, Comedy, Drama", a must read for fans, or comedy nerds in general.

Anyways, been dealing with various health issues, in and out of the hospital, so it was easier to carry "book" books instead of trailing comics around anywhere. Now I'm getting back into life, so I can resume the reading of colorful pamphlets!

Love and Rockets 13, 14 - I always need to reread a primer to remember what's going on with Beto's labyrinthine stories, as we're so many branches into the family tree of Fritz, Petra, Luba, etc. Still enjoy them. Jaime, per usual, provides the easier pleasures, as his Maggie strips remain delightful and enjoyable in even the smallest chunks (really enjoying the Tonta stories), and I'm also digging the Animus backups.

Giant Robot Hellboy 2,3 - this wasn't my favorite spin-off, but I still welcome any entry in the Hellboy universe. An amusing enough trifle.

Transformers IDW Phase 2 Volume 11 - slowly but surely working my way through the entire IDW TF canon, nearly have Phase 2 wrapped up. Still really loving this stuff, though I've read most of it before. Soon we'll be getting into the stuff I never read, Phase 3 and the reboot.

Aliens (volume whatever, the most recent Marvel series) 2,3,4 - well, at least Salvador Larroca isn't here tracing NECA action figures anymore, and I guess these stories aren't BAD, but they fall well short of the glory years of the Dark Horse stuff. Still waiting for Marvel to do something interesting with the license. May be waiting for a while. The Black White and Blood mini looks promising, and the What If looks weird, so I guess there are some twists and turns coming up.

Hellboy Winter Special : The Yule Cat - a fun little one-shot.

Transformers 2-5 (Skybound) - still not really getting into this, I think I just keep buying it so @Cat won't be sad. I hate thinking of a sad Cat! I'll stick with it for a while to see if it goes anywhere, but the approach and artwork aren't really my thing so far. I haven't read any of the GI Joe stuff yet, has anyone else?

Ok, that's about 25 books by my reckoning, feels like another year where I'm going to fall well short of the goal!

Obviously my opinion isn't any good, but I'm enjoying the GIJOE books, and I'm not really a fan of GIJOE. 

And I hope you've seen the last of the hospital for a long, long time! 

On 3/6/2024 at 10:13 AM, Cat said:
On 3/6/2024 at 8:05 AM, F For Fake said:

Wow, it's already March, and I've only read a handful of books. Got distracted at the beginning of the year reading some books I got for Christmas, including Dungeons and Dragons Art & Arcana: A Visual History (highly recommended, a beautiful book with tons of classic D&D artwork, and I say that as someone who has never played the game), and Werner Herzog's new memoir, "Every Man for Himself, and God Against All", a truly riveting and hallucinatory autobiography. Good stuff. Oh, also read Bob Odenkirk's memoir "Comedy, Comedy, Comedy, Drama", a must read for fans, or comedy nerds in general.

Anyways, been dealing with various health issues, in and out of the hospital, so it was easier to carry "book" books instead of trailing comics around anywhere. Now I'm getting back into life, so I can resume the reading of colorful pamphlets!

Love and Rockets 13, 14 - I always need to reread a primer to remember what's going on with Beto's labyrinthine stories, as we're so many branches into the family tree of Fritz, Petra, Luba, etc. Still enjoy them. Jaime, per usual, provides the easier pleasures, as his Maggie strips remain delightful and enjoyable in even the smallest chunks (really enjoying the Tonta stories), and I'm also digging the Animus backups.

Giant Robot Hellboy 2,3 - this wasn't my favorite spin-off, but I still welcome any entry in the Hellboy universe. An amusing enough trifle.

Transformers IDW Phase 2 Volume 11 - slowly but surely working my way through the entire IDW TF canon, nearly have Phase 2 wrapped up. Still really loving this stuff, though I've read most of it before. Soon we'll be getting into the stuff I never read, Phase 3 and the reboot.

Aliens (volume whatever, the most recent Marvel series) 2,3,4 - well, at least Salvador Larroca isn't here tracing NECA action figures anymore, and I guess these stories aren't BAD, but they fall well short of the glory years of the Dark Horse stuff. Still waiting for Marvel to do something interesting with the license. May be waiting for a while. The Black White and Blood mini looks promising, and the What If looks weird, so I guess there are some twists and turns coming up.

Hellboy Winter Special : The Yule Cat - a fun little one-shot.

Transformers 2-5 (Skybound) - still not really getting into this, I think I just keep buying it so @Cat won't be sad. I hate thinking of a sad Cat! I'll stick with it for a while to see if it goes anywhere, but the approach and artwork aren't really my thing so far. I haven't read any of the GI Joe stuff yet, has anyone else?

Ok, that's about 25 books by my reckoning, feels like another year where I'm going to fall well short of the goal!

Expand  

Obviously my opinion isn't any good, but I'm enjoying the GIJOE books, and I'm not really a fan of GIJOE. 

+1 healthy recovery 

On 3/6/2024 at 11:13 AM, Cat said:

Your opinion is plenty good! I'm glad you're enjoying TF, I'm hoping it'll click for me at some point. I may trade-wait the Joe stuff, but I'm at least curious about it.

And thanks bud, you and me both!

On 3/6/2024 at 11:27 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

+1 healthy recovery 

Thanks friend, here's to better times ahead.

On 3/7/2024 at 3:44 AM, F For Fake said:

Your opinion is plenty good! I'm glad you're enjoying TF, I'm hoping it'll click for me at some point. I may trade-wait the Joe stuff, but I'm at least curious about it.

And thanks bud, you and me both!

I'd personally rank the Skybound books from top to bottom as: Transformers, Duke, Cobra Commander, Void Rivals. 

Obviously that's just my opinion and it's going to differ wildly depending on who you ask, but I really rate Duke in particular. Love the art style, too. Transformers did have one issue that didn't hit for me, #3, but when read as part of the whole, it's okay. Just one of those things. 

warlord.jpg.0d4ed231458fcddc01a6b437a6defcd4.jpg

Warlord of Mars 10-18 + Annual

The second story in the Dynamite John Carter saga adapts Edgar Rice Burroughs' The Gods of Mars novel. Carthoris is introduced in the first arc of it (10-12), the son of Dejah Thoris and John Carter. I like his name being their names combined (Car-Thoris). Carthoris being protected by Tars Tarkas (green friend of his father) reminded me a lot of the relationship between Gohan and Piccolo in Dragon Ball Z. John gets to meet his son after finally being able to return to Mars. The way it's handled was awesome, with father and son joining together in a battle.

Dejah Thoris is in this one less, but you have three new female characters, Thuvia, Phaidor, and Issus. Kindhearted Thuvia is an animal tamer. Phaidor is beautiful and very jealous. Lastly, Issus, the goddess, who I can't say much about without spoiling the plot. But one thing in particular made her character unique and surprising. While I wouldn't rate the second part as high as the first, there's a lot of good moments. Two more groups get introduced and it's always fun to see the expanding lore of ERB's Mars. The annual focuses on Tars Tarkas who is easily one of the best characters.

Tales Of The Green Lantern Corps Annual #3. I wanted to read this for Alan Moore's story about Rot Lop Fan. It was great, very inventive. I can see why his early work was blowing minds, this is a really creative piece. 

Green Lantern by Geoff Johns omnibus volume 2. Here we go, now we're sinking our teeth into it. The meat of the run, Blackest Night. The story's still got it, and it was a pleasure to read, even for someone whose been well and truly over zombie content for the last decade. This is Johns at his best.

That takes me up to 585 books read for the year so far. 

Next up: Green Lantern by Johns volume 3, naturally! This is all-new material for me, so I'm psyched for it. Will my choice to drop the book after Blackest Night back in the day be vindicated, or will this omnibus prove me wrong and show me what an insufficiently_thoughtful_person I was? I suspect it'll be the latter, but we'll see. 

Read Usagi Volume 14 "Demon Mask" (222 pages).

A nice collection of stories including Mystery of Demon Mask, The Inn on Moon Shadow Hill, Deserters, Potter's Tale, Kumo, and Reunion where Usagi is reunited with Gennosuke and Sanshobo just in time to repel a hoard of assassins.

UsagiGenSanshobo_20240310-102615.png.598dd9ba2bbf9179785872bf0e21de0d.png

Sandman Presents : Lucifer mini-series 1 to 3

Lucifer 1 to 28

Lucifer Nirvana one-shot

A bit leaden at times, but some good stories and ideas, and worth persisting with. That said, prefer Neil Gaiman’s writing style on Sandman.

32 issues in total

2024 total = 166

232. The Demon Vol. 1 #1
233. Jimmy Olsen Vol. 2 #10
234. Daredevil Vol. 1 #228
235. Daredevil Vol. 1 #229
236. Spider-Man's Tangled Web Vol. 1 #11
237. Batman / Superman: World's Finest  Vol. 2 #23
238. Batman / Superman: World's Finest  Vol. 2 #24
239. Batman / Superman: World's Finest Annual Vol. 2 #1
240. Daredevil Vol. 1 #230
241. Daredevil Vol. 1 #231