• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your First
4 4

64 posts in this topic

On 1/26/2024 at 11:12 AM, Dr. Balls said:

That might have been the first time I'd ever had to buy something by *asking* for it. (As opposed to just grabbing it and going to a cashier, whether it was a comic book, pack of cards or candy). A funny rite of passage in life I hadn't thought about until just now.

That's a funny thought. I remember my grandmother always saying "if you don't ask, you don't get" when I'd shy up in similar situations.  

On 1/27/2024 at 9:10 PM, Norrin_Radd said:

I didn't start reading & collecting comics until I was an adult.  My first trip to a local comic shop was 3/12/2001.  Bought these three comics.

FirstComics_031201.jpg.6e42aed9590ba6d714ff413093b746d8.jpg

This selection was mostly based on what I watched on TV - Super Friends and The Incredible Hulk as a kid and Futurama as an adult.

I was looking at my copy today wondering how to process having picked it up, I should sit down and read to enjoy, no such thing as coincidence s! Still probably holds up, if just to remember  :)

2024_01_27 9_48 PM Office Lens.jpg

On 1/25/2024 at 11:48 AM, Patriot6 said:

What was the first comic book that you purchased with your own money?

It wasn't my first comic book, but I remember my father giving my sister and I our allowances. It was Friday. We were driving into the city and we would always stop at a particular convenience store in a small town on the way. It was an old general store type place that sold little bits of everything. My father would always get an Orange Crush slurpee and the latest Superman. It was a bitter sweet stop because it was the first time I had to buy my own slurpee and comic book. Until this point my father had always paid. Decisions had to be made. Often times I would wait in the car and my father would bring out some kind of super hero comic for me to read on the drive. Left to my own devices, I reached past the heroes and left the store with a Richie Rich. I can't for the life of me remember which one it was, but I remember, keeping tradition alive and all, I had also purchased an Orange Crush slurpee. I remember my sister complaining on the drive home that the comic was all sticky and gross from my slurpee hands when it was her turn to read. 

Why am I remembering all of this? I was walking through a book store, the big box kind, that has a few comic spinner racks. There was a mother and maybe six year old girl standing there. The girl only had so much money and had two comics in hand. It was a budgeting teaching moment kind of thing. She had an Archie digest and something I had never seen before. It was a comic book, but one I wasn't familiar with. She took the Archie digest. Big life moment right there I said to my wife. Real wholesome stuff. 

Moon knight #1 1980 newsstand 

On 1/26/2024 at 4:41 PM, Artboy99 said:

My first comic I ever bought was a Fantastic Four 112 and I still own that original copy which is a miracle.

I lived on a farm back then, and my Father wanted to get some rye bread and lunch meats as he liked to eat that with hot mustard. He would get headcheese ( yuck ) as he knew I didn't like it. 

We went into the city, and when we got there he gave me the change in his pocket and told me to "go to the used book store across the street and buy some comics"

Paul's Book store was the place, and he had shelves and shelves of used books for sale at half cover. You could also trade 2 for 1.

Fantastic Four 112 really stood out to me, that black cover and those powerful looking heroes ready to do battle. I really liked what I had read and collected the Hulk until I had them all. Decent feat for a kid age 14 with a paper route.

Fantastic Four 112.jpg

Perfect first!!

On 1/30/2024 at 2:07 PM, Azkaban said:

here's another maybe from one day Dad took me to the barber shop

Nick Cardy cover :luhv:

420145579_1391109481792475_741624678456908676_n.jpg

Our barber shop had a pile of old comics for kids to read while getting their hair cut. Sometimes he would let us take one home. I remember getting a Fight or Jungle one time. We could trade one for one sometimes. Traded a lot of ‘50’s Harvey’s for GA. But you had to blow the hair out of the pages…:roflmao:

On 1/27/2024 at 7:10 PM, Norrin_Radd said:

I didn't start reading & collecting comics until I was an adult.  My first trip to a local comic shop was 3/12/2001.  Bought these three comics.

FirstComics_031201.jpg.6e42aed9590ba6d714ff413093b746d8.jpg

This selection was mostly based on what I watched on TV - Super Friends and The Incredible Hulk as a kid and Futurama as an adult.

image.png.75d3adc8942b6762e457de74d32133a6.png

image.png.dd32fa6a552e8ae8881225507baec2c3.png

:hi: