• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone ever shipped a pallet of longboxes before?

17 posts in this topic

A buddy of mine in CT has a collection that I'm buying from him. I'm in SC. It's about 20 longboxes, so I'm thinking that pallet fright might be a cheap shipping option, but as far as creating an account at various companies and going through all the rigamarole of trying to figure out the logistics of it for an estimate when the actual purchase is a few weeks away I'd reach out on here and see if anyone's done this and how involved it is. Thanks in advance for any info.

Not to forego your conversation, but when it's been brought up before, it's been mentioned to rent a van as the cheapest option or uhaul.

Depending on distance

I think with uhaul you can even rent it in CT and return it to any uhaul place upon destination, if I remember correctly. I forget.

Food for thought 

Received a package one time who was literally a long box but i cannot describe how much it was consolidated... so everything went well. You cannot just send a typical longbox without overlay and hope that the comics will survivre to the delivery

Edited by BA773

On 1/31/2024 at 3:16 PM, BA773 said:

Received a package one time who was literally a long box but i cannot describe how much it was consolidated... so everything went well. You cannot just send a typical longbox without overlay and hope that the comics will survivre to the delivery

I've had single longboxes and shortboxes shipped before. That's not a big deal. I'm talking about a lot of them. :smile:

I don't know about longboxes specifically.  But I do know that delivering pallets to a residence can be tricky.  It would most likely be delivered on a LTL type shipping truck that delivers to loading docks.  If you can find a freight delivery service to deliver to your house you might need a forklift or something.  Unless you can have them delivered to a business somewhere.

Things to consider are:

Are the long boxes worth shipping to you in the first place?  In other words if they are only worth say $1,000 and shipping at the least will be around $400 then to me that's not worth the expense.

Trucking Companies will ship to a neighborhood but only if the items can be unloaded by hand, which comic boxes can.  They charge a high premium for this though.   Best bet is to be able to ship to a place of business.

They will also have to shipped from a loading dock as I'm pretty sure they will not pick up in a neighborhood.

On 1/31/2024 at 2:34 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Not to forego your conversation, but when it's been brought up before, it's been mentioned to rent a van as the cheapest option or uhaul.

Depending on distance

I think with uhaul you can even rent it in CT and return it to any uhaul place upon destination, if I remember correctly. I forget.

Food for thought 

Having recently rented cars, SUVs and UHaul trucks - they are significantly more expensive than other shipping options once all the fees, insurances, taxes, travel costs, etc, are factored into the equation.

Last December, I shipped a pallet full of network switches via LTL half-way across the country and it cost around $450.

-bc

On 1/31/2024 at 3:51 PM, bc said:

Having recently rented cars, SUVs and UHaul trucks - they are significantly more expensive than other shipping options once all the fees, insurances, taxes, travel costs, etc, are factored into the equation.

Last December, I shipped a pallet full of network switches via LTL half-way across the country and it cost around $450.

-bc

Good to know! I'll try to adjust that memory of knowledge ☺️ if it'll fit lol

I didn't want to forego the conversation because I know it isn't the only option, in this case not one, it was just what I had remembered 😂 haha

I'll try to remember in the future as those who had it suggested never reported back that I saw whether viable. In short thanks for the correction 💯

On 1/31/2024 at 5:05 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Good to know! I'll try to adjust that memory of knowledge ☺️ if it'll fit lol

I didn't want to forego the conversation because I know it isn't the only option, in this case not one, it was just what I had remembered 😂 haha

I'll try to remember in the future as those who had it suggested never reported back that I saw whether viable. In short thanks for the correction 💯

All good man! (thumbsu

The LTL freight truck had a pallet jack and a lift-gate so it was very easy to load and unload the pallet anywhere.

-bc

Yes you can get 20 longs onto a pallet, you can actually get close to 40. You use the plastic wrap to keep them from moving or getting loose.  It's called point to point shipping.  They will charge more for a residential that does not have a dock to unload on.  They do have trucks with a lift to lower if you don't have a dock.  Lots of the over the road trucking companies offer this, I've gotten furniture and packing supplies delivered via truck to my house and it wasn't a big deal.  Also I've sent home comics I've boughten out of state via pallet.  Fed ex might have it also.  Check your yellow pages for trucking companies.  One pallet should not cost more than $200-300.00.  

On 1/31/2024 at 12:19 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

A buddy of mine in CT has a collection that I'm buying from him. I'm in SC. It's about 20 longboxes, so I'm thinking that pallet fright might be a cheap shipping option, but as far as creating an account at various companies and going through all the rigamarole of trying to figure out the logistics of it for an estimate when the actual purchase is a few weeks away I'd reach out on here and see if anyone's done this and how involved it is. Thanks in advance for any info.

I looked into it two years ago. The cheapest way is to find a place with a loading dock and bring the books there.  Paying a few dollars for the use of the loading dock will result in big savings.  I ended up getting someone with a trailer off of Uship who didn't need a pallet.   I wrapped each box in an industrial contractor clear bag and used about a third of a roll of packing tape on each box.  I used short boxes, making each box lighter and easier to handle.

You might think about a bus or train to Ct and then rent a SUV for the ride back. Perhaps you could condense the collection and leave some drek if it doesn't all fit.  Short boxes stack better than long ones

On 1/31/2024 at 1:16 PM, BA773 said:

Yes, you can.   I've shipped dozens of long boxes. You need to reinforce the middle and packing straps help but it can be done with tape.

When shipping a long box, use an extra lid on the bottom and don't be cheap with the tape.  Do not block the handles and put several pieces of thick cardboard in both ends of the interior