• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Files Lawsuit Against Employees
30 30

673 posts in this topic

On 2/2/2024 at 9:21 AM, lostboys said:

Robin would figure it out.

The only question is:

Would Robin steeple his fingers, interlock his fingers or possibly place his left fist into his right hand?

I think he steeples (pats a few times), gradually moves to the interlock, then (when realization dawns) releases and smacks his left fist into his right hand with an appropriate "Holy ...." exclamation.  I don't know why our phones aren't ringing off the hook yet with calls from Hollywood.

On 2/2/2024 at 9:37 AM, GACollectibles said:

Those shelves are on casters, I would think he wouldn't do the signing in the vault, hence books have to get moved to signing area.  Is there any indication they were stored there unsecured? 

It looks as though this is just supposed to be a funny reaction of Todd seeing the stack of books he has to sign.  As you say, it would then make sense for the comics to be on a shelf with casters so CGC can move everything to the signing area all at once.  There probably was some kind of security watching them, and they just stepped out of frame to get this picture.  (shrug)

(First time I've seen the picture, so I'm probably being Captain Obvious here...  :insane:)

On 2/2/2024 at 12:25 PM, drotto said:

He was not being asked about this case being an inside job, he was asked about swapgate being an inside. To his knowledge that scandal is not an inside job. So he told the truth from a particular point of view.

You have to remember everything Matt said was carefully curated by legal, and he did not give any responses that legal did not pre-approve. That interview was only about swapgate, so all responses are only about swapgate. This is a separate matter, and they had not gone public with this one yet.

Assuming that your explanation is in fact what occurred, it would have been wiser for him to answer that is not a question he could respond to given the investigation being an ongoing one, and not all facts or information are available or known at the time the question was posed. It looks worse now given what's taken place, especially because some of the activities divulged in the motion and declarations intermingle with the issues of tampering as a whole. 

Edited by comicwiz

On 2/2/2024 at 11:06 AM, comicwiz said:

This post has a link to the video that takes you right to the moment in the interview, as well as a transcription of the person posing the question and the answer Matt gave.

I watched the answer. Thank you for posting it. But I think the answer is a little cavalier when CGC is still investigating the whole matter. He could have been more cautious in his answer since the matter is still in question.

Again, I’ve deslabbed multiple comics and can’t see how you could do so without it being obvious or having equipment to reslab a comic to make it look legit.

Jim

Edited by awe4one

On 2/2/2024 at 12:41 PM, awe4one said:

I watched the answer. Thank you for posting it. But I think the answer is a little cavalier when CGC is still investigating the whole matter. He could have been more cautious in his answer since the matter is still in question.

Again, I’ve deslabbed multiple comics and can’t see how you could do so without it being obvious or having equipment to reslab a comic to make it look legit.

Jim

Right, similar to what I posted above, but your point of emphasis leads to what I was holding back from saying, and that is that it was said that way in an effort to downplay it. Listent to Dave's relieved response right after. And I guess it worked, that is until this injunction was filed.

On 2/1/2024 at 12:07 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I just got a panicked email from an Ebay buyer of a run-of-the-mill X-Men book in 9.2 worried that the slab had been opened because of the play/flex in the 2nd gen slabs. Ugh. Thanks CGC for the confidence you are instilling in people who have your books. Now people think that $100 9.2s are being opened with heat guns.

I have had this happen 3 times in last couple of months 😞

On 2/2/2024 at 12:40 PM, comicwiz said:

Assuming that your explanation is in fact what occurred, it would have been wiser for him to answer that is not a question he could respond to given the investigation being an ongoing one, and not all facts or information are available or known at the time the question was posed. It looks worse now given what's taken place, especially because some of the activities divulged in the motion and declarations intermingle with the issues of tampering as a whole. 

I agree 100% but in general lawyers advise clients to never divulge more information then you must, and never reveal anything you are not ready to talk about publically. This case was not public, so I suspect he was told to say nothing of it.

Does not mean that is the right play from the public relations standpoint, when you know it will come out, but from the legal standpoint it is the play they will almost always make. Also, he may not have been at liberty to say anything which may put this litigation at risk. So essentially Matt was under an NDA.

On 2/2/2024 at 2:32 PM, drotto said:

I agree 100% but in general lawyers advise clients to never divulge more information then you must, and never reveal anything you are not ready to talk about publically. This case was not public, so I suspect he was told to say nothing of it.

Does not mean that is the right play from the public relations standpoint, when you know it will come out, but from the legal standpoint it is the play they will almost always make. Also, he may not have been at liberty to say anything which may put this litigation at risk. So essentially Matt was under an NDA.

Agreed.  I have zero expectations of any type of public acknowledgement or explanation since there is currently litigation and anything said by CGC can be used in court.  Unfortunately I think people are going to have to be patient with this one.  Even though they have every right not to be.

I would have assumed there is a secure series of restricted access rooms with cameras, badge swipes, bar coded submissions packets, etc. that would make it impossible for someone to simply take books off a shelf and "bring them back to their desk" without it being immediately flagged. :jawdrop:

Without a clear explanation of their security procedures, it almost feels like books were being stacked on shelves in some hallway or back room with graders coming and going and picking up whatever books they felt like grading that day.  Who knows what type of security checks were in place at that time (shrug)  

On 2/2/2024 at 12:42 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

I would have assumed there is a secure series of restricted access rooms with cameras, badge swipes, bar coded submissions packets, etc. that would make it impossible for someone to simply take books off a shelf and "bring them back to their desk" without it being immediately flagged. :jawdrop:

The security would be geared towards ensuring nothing leaves the secure facility, maybe not watching everything within the facility.  No one anticipated a thief would work on the inside.

On 2/2/2024 at 3:20 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

Shocking if true. Literally every single business in the world that deals with items of value has internal controls to prevent insider shenanigans. 

I've worked for companies that required me to get someone to unlock a cabinet so I could get supplies like pens and paper.  It's shocking if CGC blindly trusted all employees around our books.  The phrase "keeping them honest" comes to mind here.

On 2/2/2024 at 1:24 PM, BeardedBubba said:

I've worked for companies that required me to get someone to unlock a cabinet so I could get supplies like pens and paper.  It's shocking if CGC blindly trusted all employees around our books.  The phrase "keeping them honest" comes to mind here.

"If you want to take a Hulk 1 back to your desk, submit as your own, maybe even make a new label to bump its grade, FINE. But keep your STINKIN' hands OFF the padfolios"

Edited by brute_nm

On 2/2/2024 at 3:24 PM, BeardedBubba said:

No kidding. I served on the local library board. No one could write a check of any amount without signoff from two other people. This is common sense fiduciary best practices. 

On 2/2/2024 at 11:42 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

Sounds like their "secure facility" was just one step above working out of their mom's garage.

I told them...

they could have hired me. I could have set them on the right path.

They didn't want to pay me what I'm worth. :sorry:

lol