• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Files Lawsuit Against Employees
30 30

667 posts in this topic

I think the scammers get found out eventually.  But, this company might be looking the other way based on their partners and will eventually give way to a more thorough vetting process.  What bothers me is the passive compliance to make a few bucks.  A pressed book (heat and pressure) is considered the same as a non-pressed book because their business partners are the ones doing the pressing, but there’s nothing on the label to let you know the difference.  The recent scandals have exposed a lot of weaknesses/greed/laziness.  We’ll see how they respond.

On 2/1/2024 at 4:03 PM, comicparadox said:

Kudos to CGC for not shutting this thread down. Any publicity is good publicity? Or maybe they’re trying to demonstrate that they are getting their house in order after several negative events?

agreed.  This transparency has always great. 

On 2/2/2024 at 8:42 AM, SeniorSurfer said:

Am I the only one that noticed "Harshen Patel" is an anagram for "elephant rash?" And that "Brandon Terrazas" is also an anagram for "Tarzans nerd boar?"  I mean... I can't make anything of it, but Batman can probably do a whole mini-series on these clues.

Robin would figure it out.

The only question is:

Would Robin steeple his fingers, interlock his fingers or possibly place his left fist into his right hand?

On 2/2/2024 at 6:48 AM, Mikey C said:

During the big McFarlane signing at the end of 2022, they just stored all the books in a hallway. Maybe it’s a very secure hallway? 🤷‍♂️

IMG_6804.jpeg

There was also the pictures during the Scottie Young signing (now deleted) where he was in room with slabs laying on the metal shelves unprotected stacked on top of each other after being graded!

These shelves are just the chrome and black epoxy coated wire shelving sold at Restaurant Supply stores.

On 2/2/2024 at 12:28 AM, Kevin76 said:

Matt Nelson said in a youtube interview recently that this isn't an inside job...why did he lie?  

He did not technically lie, he was telling the truth about the book swapping scandal (as far as is known) that he was addressing in that interview. That would be his stance.

This was an omission by choice that they had found this separate problem. He was clearly aware of this court filing, and skirted the issues, making sure his language was only referring to the swapping scandal. Plus the interviewers did not press him on if there were other investigations of separate issues.  I do not fault the interviewers at all, I know they had to submit their questions prior to the interview, and needed to more or less stay on script.

Distasteful, and ultimately destroyed trust, but from a legal standpoint Matt did not technically lie.

On 2/2/2024 at 7:48 AM, Mikey C said:

During the big McFarlane signing at the end of 2022, they just stored all the books in a hallway. Maybe it’s a very secure hallway? 🤷‍♂️

IMG_6804.jpeg

Those shelves are on casters, I would think he wouldn't do the signing in the vault, hence books have to get moved to signing area.  Is there any indication they were stored there unsecured? 

On 2/1/2024 at 4:44 PM, Gonzimodo said:

With access to official CGC equipment, labels, etc., who knows how much damage a dishonest employee could actually do?

Back in high school, there was a kid whose mom worked at the state license bureau, and he had a sweet gig creating fake IDs for people.  He'd steal the keys to the place and make "real" fake IDs on the official State equipment.  No idea how he never went to jail for that...

While I was in college I worked for a local bank.  One day out of the blue one of the VPs just resigned, it was sudden and no one at the low level knew why.  30 years later I am working in IT at a local credit union, one of the senior VPs at the CU worked at the local bank and knew the story.  The guy was embezzling company funds.  I don't remember the actual amount but it was up there.  The bank figured it was better to just have him resign and maybe pay some of it back and not get the courts involved.  The publicity of the theft would have cost more than the actual amount lost. 

So maybe the state did catch the kid, but was so embarrassed at how easy it was and the lack of security they just didn't want the public to see it.    

On 2/2/2024 at 9:37 AM, GACollectibles said:

Those shelves are on casters, I would think he wouldn't do the signing in the vault, hence books have to get moved to signing area.  Is there any indication they were stored there unsecured? 

No, nothing indicates the books were unsecured. Todd seemed to be doing the signing in a lobby or room off of this hallway. The video is up on the CGC Instagram from 12/11/2022. It shows the path they take to where the books were in relation to the signing.  

Edited by Mikey C
Spelling

On 2/2/2024 at 7:21 AM, Nazirite said:

Sweeping it under the table and back to the status quo? 

I’d love to go back to the status quo where the most egregious thing CGC was doing was selling grades on acetate books. Ahh 2023, so long ago…