• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Files Lawsuit Against Employees
30 30

672 posts in this topic

On 2/4/2024 at 10:41 AM, buttock said:

I'm not surprised to see something like this happen, any business is vulnerable to people trying to pull a scam one way or another.  

HOWEVER, that's why you put safeguards in place.  And the biggest safeguard CGC had was a strict policy on employees not being able to deal in CGC graded books at all.  Once they opened that door, and I'm not sure when that was, they essentially invited someone to come do something like this.  If there is anything I would want to see come out of this, it's that CGC employees are unable to buy, sell, or submit to CGC with no exceptions.

I agree, but also know people will find a way.
For example, in college I worked for a major toy store no longer in business.
I collected comics / cards / toys and was active on eBay.
I was able to get ALL the HTF hot toys before they hit the shelf with my discount.
That was within our rules.
*I* never sold any of the items as that was against the rules.
What I did do was trade at my LCS or have my partner list the items using their eBay username.
Largest ROI were Hot Wheels...and Tickle Me Elmos.
Where there are low wage jobs with strict rules, there is someone 'following the rules' but to their fiscal benefit.

On 2/4/2024 at 11:00 AM, Stefan_W said:

Sorry, I had to re-read this a couple of time to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was seeing. These boards have a hall of shame? 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 2/4/2024 at 10:15 AM, Stefan_W said:

That is ad hominem. I don't judge the validity of comments based on who makes them. 

Point taken about context though. It absolutely matters in a lot of ways, although I would argue not exactly in the way you are using it. Although context matters, a person I don't care for can make a good point, and someone I really like can make a bad one. At the end of the day I don't know anyone on these boards so I just call it like I see it based on the words in front of me. The point "try to treat people right" is unassailable to me, but thank you for pointed out why this may be loaded to some people on these boards given the source. 

Was there some earth shattering, otherwise unobtainable, epiphany to be found in “treat customers right”? That’s the clue to whether you’ve got to speak up in defense of it. It’s not a good point, it’s a vehicle, in the context of past words and actions and in conjunction with attempts to reenter this community and reliance on people who don’t even know that a Hall of Shame exists, to seem rational, reasonable and to have the “great reputation” line be given weight it would not otherwise be given. 

That’s why it’s not ad hominem. Who is speaking, and their record, is entirely relevant to how the words are taken and to avoid being manipulated into accepting something so banal as his “be nice to customers” as a gateway to accepting the rest of his comment in face value…especially if you have no knowledge of who they are.  

Check out those probation and hall of shame lists. Lots of context to be had. 

I’ll add this, wherever Chip has found customers to trust him, I wish him well, and I wish them luck. They are free as you are to use or ignore anything in the context of dealing with him. That doesn’t change a thing about this place, and doesn’t mean anyone owes him a Second, Third, Fifth chance.

Edited by comix4fun

On 2/4/2024 at 10:30 AM, mikenyc said:

If this defaults to rehashing bad actions there is justification to lock a thread that should stay open. 

Not rehashing.  Just not letting things go unsaid. But I take your point 
and if the stuff in his thread didn’t get it locked already…I think we’re gonna make it. 

On 2/4/2024 at 11:34 AM, comix4fun said:

…especially if you have no knowledge of who they are.  

Except that is NOT WHO I AM NOW. I was added over 7 years ago. There is no *current* context, which is what the members of this forum apparently don't want.

7 years is a long time.

Edited by Chip Cataldo

I havent read all 22 pages of this scam job, but am fully aware of this situation, ( so, I dont know if it's been mentioned), but this situation is so similar to the australian 'HALO' grading company.............still see the odd HALO graded comic on ebay from time to time, and makes me cringe. I wonder if CGC will list all comics graded  by this fraudster, to see if we have one of his in our collection, and give us a free re-valuation is desired.  

Roy has been banned until summer, so this thread hasn’t been locked yet.  Let’s stay on topic and keep it civil.  You know who you are. :foryou:

IMG_0216.png

Edited by Galen130

On 2/3/2024 at 12:31 PM, Nick Furious said:

In fairness to CGC, cameras can be a proactive visual deterrent, but they are typically reactive in terms of viewing the footage.  It could have been months before a single book was even known to be missing.  It's very possible that all the books were stolen in the timeframe before even the first theft was investigated by reviewing camera footage.  

Sure but my understanding was when submitting books they were in a secured facility. I assumed they would have lots of cameras so when looking at something like how many items an employee stole, it would all be on camera. But I'm basing all of this on what I want to believe. Weird stuff.

On 2/4/2024 at 12:09 PM, jcjames said:

What a complete fustercluck! 

"The whole famdamily has been bucked by fuzzards", as my friend Roy used to say :bigsmile: GOD BLESS .... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 2/4/2024 at 10:56 AM, JollyComics said:

Roy is suspended again?  So many people hold grudges against him, I guess.

Yeah, back in December.  It’s in the Moderation thread.

On 2/4/2024 at 12:45 PM, Jimmy Linguini said:

Sure but my understanding was when submitting books they were in a secured facility. I assumed they would have lots of cameras so when looking at something like how many items an employee stole, it would all be on camera. But I'm basing all of this on what I want to believe. Weird stuff.

I agree with this.  This is why I do not believe that this is a failure on CGC's part to watch who comes into contact with what they are holding.  I believe that the failure on CGC's part is an inventory and tracking issue. The most significant security measure should be in place with those who are responsible for unpacking and cataloguing what CGC receives.  If you have two people to verify that, then they know they have the books "somewhere" and things should not go missing.

After that, there should be some type of flagging for any order that is not processed within a certain amount of time.   If a book is not graded in a certain amount of time they should look to make sure the book is still there and did not mysteriously walk off. 

On 2/4/2024 at 10:00 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

That’s the list of impacted books from swapgate.  Totally separate from the 27 books stolen by CGC employees.

Thanks! My bad. I can't keep up with the shenanigans, especially as I have just awaken, am still lying in bed, and have had no coffee as yet.

I think I'll make einkorn pancakes to go with my coffee.

Edited by PovertyRow
"waken up"??? Edit won't let me change that to "w o k e up"! This censorship getting ridiculous.