• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did you necessary organize your boxes by series?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

For the people who have several long runs, did you necessary organize your boxes with series by series or you prefer to put small part of each in a box?

I tought it could be more funny to have several charachters and styles of books and if you have a good listing files it wouldnt be much harder to find which books are in which box.

Yeah it look like stupid but i like to make different than i see elswhere...

On 2/5/2024 at 4:01 PM, KCOComics said:

right now,  I have everything in alphabetical order by title and number. 

Recently,  I've thought about breaking it up by era a little more.  Basically pulling out all my 50s stuff and creating a separate box. 

Since the bulk of my collection is Post Implosion Atlas & early Marvels, I do the same - alphabetically by title, then by number.

I also have a separate box for just GA books.

-bc

10cent covers (and Giants from the same era) in one section. 12cent in another. 15cent - 50cent in another. Then everything else, with a different section for new books currently collecting that I can get to easily. If a series starts in one era and runs into another I keep in in the series in the era it started in. 

I have my books broken into four distinct groupings.  My graded books are separate, in alphabetical and numerical order.  My raws are broken into three separate groupings:  "keys" (which are both major keys, as well as more minor ones), in alphabetical and numberical order, a second group of short boxes (25 or so) with Golden Age through Bronze Age, with a smattering of more modern books that carry signficant value, and lastly, the "bulk" of my collection, 85 or so long boxes with books from Copper to Modern, with one-shots and mini-series separated from regular titles.  In each of these raw groupings, the books are alphabetical and numerical in order.

It's given me a great system to find any book at any time.  If I want to get a book that I own, I know where it is and can retrieve it within minutes.  I have a friend who once kept their collection in a random order, and for the longest time, they literally had no idea what they owned, save for their memory on what they thought they'd bought.

I gave up organizing my comics in alphabetical order (or any other order, for that matter) years ago since it became a hassle to have to re-organize so that all my FFs were in specific boxes, all my Golden Age was in other boxes, etc.  And that was after I used to just do it purely alphabetically, which became a nightmare once you have a pretty sizable collection (and my collection isn't that big).  Instead, now I just put them in whatever box and record the box number/identifier in my collecting software.  So if I want to know where all my Fantastic Fours, Vol. 1's are, I just have to search it in the software.  Technically, I could even go down to something like "where are all my comics with Bill Everett cover art" or "where are all my Golden Age comics?" if I wanted to, etc., I guess, and I'd get a list of them and the box location.

Edited by Telegan

Yes sort of… for my graded collections, each title has their own box/boxes. For raw books in alphabetical order. 👍

I have my SIlver/Bronze/and copper books alphabetized in one collection and keep all modern books 2000-present in a separate collection. Then I have all my higher value books in a file cabinet. I still don't have all the modern books alphabetized yet. It's a big hassle when a box gets full, and I need to transfer books to the next box and the next box etc. to keep them in alphabetical order.

My books are boxed by one of several categories. First by value then by companies. Books over $100 then  Marvel/DC/Indy.  

I'm lucky in that I sold 99% of my comics last year. At one point, I had 12 slabs and less than half a short box of raws. After eight months of buying and horse trading I have 25 slabs and twelve boxes of raw. Eight of those boxes contain various books I offer for $1 each.  One box is raw stuff worth around $100 each  or more, one has books worth $25 or more and the other two go for $5 and up.  My slabs will be limited to one Hot Flips box worth( about 28) and my raws will top out at  20 boxes.