• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rob Liefeld is retiring
4 4

89 posts in this topic

Screenshot(94).png.ae265b1df55992ac01b61d692626b02d.png

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/deadpool-creator-rob-liefeld-marvel-retirement-interview-1235817617/

“I can’t continue to grind like this, so why not make the last grind something memorable?” Liefeld reasons about riding off into the sunset. “It’s just a function of, the eyes and the hands have to cooperate with your ambitions, and I can sense that this is getting harder and harder. Why not just put my own guardrails up and deliver it on my terms?”

Edited by SpineTic

On 2/8/2024 at 9:32 AM, bc said:

Now he can sit back and learn to draw feet.

-bc

It's funny that the cover he chose to feature on his post about retiring has a left foot that's just    >

image.png.6d8154356142a989e6a4d5d53183004f.png

(and the pose is the classic McFarlane Spidey/Spawn)

Edited by valiantman

On 2/8/2024 at 9:32 AM, bc said:

Now he can sit back and learn to draw feet.

-bc

On 2/8/2024 at 9:46 AM, valiantman said:

It's funny that the cover he chose to feature on his post about retiring has a left foot that's just    >

image.png.6d8154356142a989e6a4d5d53183004f.png

(and the pose is the classic McFarlane Spidey/Spawn)

:butbutbutemoji: 

A.I. 

20230523_212914.jpg.6c2b6c440788fd03b3efb73b9d74b49a.jpg

Seeing I've got got so many Liefeld books now, like it or not, I figured I'd try and get this new Last Blood project of his, whatever it is. It's a Mercari exclusive, which we don't get in Australia. Yeah that's impossible for me, and prices on ebay are absurd. Way to screw over international people there, buddy. 

On 2/8/2024 at 4:35 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I reached an interesting milestone in my years of comic collecting - I've stopped chastising Rob Liefeld. Doing it since the 90s, it finally lost it's luster a few years back. Not passing judgment on those who do. I've come to look past the issues brought up around his style, and I now appreciate it - not necessarily for how it looks, but for what it represents: the cornerstone of the dynamic, crazy, over-the-top, hilariously disproportionate style and Courtney Thorne-Smith-esque femme fatales of the 90s. While most people may dislike that era of art - I love it, and when you love 90's art, eventually you look at Liefeld's work differently in an attempt to understand what it's all about. I dig it.

I'd gladly pay $250 for his chisel signature on my unpublished Liefeld piece if I met him at a convention.

His earliest work showed considerable promise. Hawk and Dove, the first few issues of New Mutants. When I look back at those, I can still see the potential.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 2/8/2024 at 10:33 AM, Ken Aldred said:

His earliest work showed considerable promise. Hawk and Dove, the first few issues of New Mutants. When I look back at those, I can still see it.

His run on NM was interesting as he was clearly experimenting with his panels and transitions - but I think he skimped mightily on backgrounds in lieu of the colorists putting nifty gradients there to take up the space. In the original B&W art, the pages can be really unbalanced, which I personally don't like. This went on through the creation of X-Force, etc - but all-in-all, I think despite his criticisms, he did have a style, and if it wasn't popular, he wouldn't have had so many others emulating it.

There is definitely a line that a person has to either stop at, or step over when discussing Rob Liefeld. He made a lot of ethical choices that weren't great, and took some steps that rubbed people the wrong way. I've read all about those things - and I had to decide that what he did was not what I was looking at. Which is why I don't take issue with anyone who discusses his part in the business of comics. It's just not my thing anymore, I just prefer to enjoy the pieces I like and skip over the ones I don't.

I honestly don't have many strong opinions about his artwork (still not a fan though, his art reminds me of this meathead jock I co-mingled with in HS who would doodle semi-decent sketches during class), but I mainly dislike his personality. He's so up in own bootyhole and has such a fragile ego. For a good time, go to his Whatnot stream and watch him angrily ban people, and maybe join in on the fun! I'm currently banned for asking if his latest overpriced sketch of Deadpool he was hocking was Deadpool if he injected Mexican steroids into his man boobs. 

Edited by FigaroToe

On 2/8/2024 at 5:38 PM, rlextherobot said:

I was 10 years old when I bought my copy of New Mutants #87 off the newsstand, and no doubt his style excited me as much as McFarlane, Lee and the other big names of the time. Sadly, I think he's a textbook example of an artist who finds success too early, and has it stunt their growth. Had he spent a few more years toiling away and improving his work and listening to editorial feedback, he might have outgrown some of his worst tendencies. When you're that popular, and that young, and don't need to listen to anyone (and are in with a bunch of other guys who can also call their shots) you aren't inclined to take any feedback to heart even if it would ultimately benefit you.

On 2/8/2024 at 5:41 PM, Dr. Balls said:

His run on NM was interesting as he was clearly experimenting with his panels and transitions - but I think he skimped mightily on backgrounds in lieu of the colorists putting nifty gradients there to take up the space. In the original B&W art, the pages can be really unbalanced, which I personally don't like. This went on through the creation of X-Force, etc - but all-in-all, I think despite his criticisms, he did have a style, and if it wasn't popular, he wouldn't have had so many others emulating it.

There is definitely a line that a person has to either stop at, or step over when discussing Rob Liefeld. He made a lot of ethical choices that weren't great, and took some steps that rubbed people the wrong way. I've read all about those things - and I had to decide that what he did was not what I was looking at. Which is why I don't take issue with anyone who discusses his part in the business of comics. It's just not my thing anymore, I just prefer to enjoy the pieces I like and skip over the ones I don't.

His first few issues of New Mutants are actually quite nice, and I can understand why I thought, in those early days, that he was a new, young artist with great potential, and an original and interesting style. I can still see that.

But, very quickly, his artwork became a lot more basic, increasingly disproportioned, and reliant on blatant swipes, from the middle-to-end of that run. You might suspect that this short cutting and sloppiness was due to deadline pressures, but it would be stressful to go from unknown status to rising star, more or less overnight at his age.