• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain Marvel Adventures 13 Church copy, an interesting flip

17 posts in this topic

Curious to see where this copy ends up.  The consigner bought this off cc for $6300 on 6/8/23 and now the book is offered in the current Goldin Jan Elite auction which closes in five days.  It's interesting that the consigner chose to go with Goldin on the sale, as I think that platform is a bit less established for comics and presents a bit more risk than putting the book on HA or clink. I wouldn't have flipped the book on Goldin, but maybe it will be a good call.  I'm curious to see where this book ends up as it's a great but one that really speaks to a certain type of buyer.   

Prior sale: https://www.comicconnect.com/item/940624?tzf=1

Edited by atomised
yep

On 2/12/2024 at 12:35 PM, atomised said:

Curious to see where this copy ends up.  The consigner bought this off cc for $6300 on 6/8/23 and now the book is offered in the current Goldin Jan Elite auction which closes in five days.  It's interesting that the consigner chose to go with Goldin on the sale, as I think that platform is a bit less established for comics and presents a bit more risk than putting the book on HA or clink. I wouldn't have flipped the book on Goldin, but maybe it will be a good call.  I'm curious to see where this book ends up as it's a great but one that really speaks to a certain type of buyer.   

:makepoint: Bad idea agree.

On 2/12/2024 at 3:35 PM, atomised said:

That book was on CConnect as a buy-it-now for a very long time prior to its auction sale. I can't remember what the buy-it-now price was, but I remember thinking it was too high. The fact that it is a Church 9.8 will keep it from going too low in the Goldin auction, but I don't think that there's much demand for that particular issue. We'll see.

Edited by jimbo_7071

Ouch!  Price has been stable, but treading down:  9/25/13: $6,601, 6/8/22: $6,300, 2/17/24: $6,222 w/BP ($5,100 bid).  Plus, seller also had book re-slabbed.  Bit of a head scratcher - though CC, CGC & Goldin made money.

Otherwise, some strong prices, except for Circus #1 - love book, but apparently I'm the only one (generic cover doesn't help)!

On 2/19/2024 at 6:25 AM, Dark Knight said:

Sold for $6,222

In 2024 dollars. In 2013 dollars that would be $4,700, or about 30% off the sale price back then.

On 2/12/2024 at 3:35 PM, atomised said:

Goldin Auctions has been known to purchase items for their auctions, it's not all consignment. 

On 2/21/2024 at 12:47 PM, mintcomics1 said:

Perhaps the book changed hands again because of the blemish or ding on the top left corner.

Can't see it close up that clearly, but it may be the reason the previous buyer wanted to sell.

It's the Church copy and highest graded.  There are picky collectors, but this is not the Silver Age where there are 20 others copies in 9.8 to choose from.

Fawcett is not a hot company and the cover has none of the usual aspects that drive demand, so that seems the more likely explanation for the lukewarm market interest.

On 2/22/2024 at 2:07 AM, adamstrange said:

Fawcett is not a hot company and the cover has none of the usual aspects that drive demand, so that seems the more likely explanation for the lukewarm market interest.

Which makes the selection of Goldin as the auction venue for such a niche book even more puzzling.

On 2/22/2024 at 10:22 AM, tth2 said:

Which makes the selection of Goldin as the auction venue for such a niche book even more puzzling.

What's the issue with Goldin? I see them on tiktok pretty often and they seem pretty big.