• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's up with the bid counts on Comiclink?
3 3

46 posts in this topic

Figured I'd circle back to see what a few art pieces are at in the Feb/March CL auction, and practically every piece already has 25+ bids with some having 120+ bids. The lowest bid count of any item in the entire auction is 7. This auction has been open for only a two days now (with 18 days left at the time of this post), and it seems like a lot of the pieces are already at what I expected them to go for at the hammer. Anyone else notice this?

Edited by Tnexus

I saw that as well.  Pretty strong early action and a bit surprising, but hopefully that is good news for sellers.  Honestly, this is one of the better lineups I've seen from Comic Link recently.  It isn't full of the very highest end art, but there are some really strong examples of both sought after characters and artists.  Between this and Heritage in April, I think we may see some fireworks.

On 2/17/2024 at 5:00 PM, Fischb1 said:

ComicLink (unlink HA and CC) doesn't have a "watch item" function. No watchlist.

So everyone bids early, prices that everyone knows won't be the winners, so that items go on their "Auction Bids" list, which essentially functions as a watchlist. This happens every auction. As an effect of this, many items get most of their bids early and barely move at the end.

Yep. I have placeholder bids on a few pieces, and CLink's current auction has some great pieces in it.

On 2/17/2024 at 8:48 PM, Sean- said:

Yes, this was a normal start to Clink, and people tend to prod up to see where their competitions max tracking bid rests, hence multiple probing bids.  Also, wasn't Dunst Mary Jane not Gwen?

D'OH! You're right! But there is no doubt that is Dunst as Spider-Gwen... maybe Brooks had her mixed up too 😆 

On 2/17/2024 at 6:00 PM, Fischb1 said:

ComicLink (unlink HA and CC) doesn't have a "watch item" function. No watchlist.

So everyone bids early, prices that everyone knows won't be the winners, so that items go on their "Auction Bids" list, which essentially functions as a watchlist. This happens every auction. As an effect of this, many items get most of their bids early and barely move at the end.

The notifications will be sent via email if you are outbid. It's always too late that auction is already ended.

On 2/18/2024 at 8:00 AM, Fischb1 said:

I don't know if the absence of a watch list makes that much of a difference.  Most people I know put in a tracking bid on Heritage, even though they do have a watch function, because it's a pain to toggle between a watch list and a bid list.  It's easier just to consolidate everything someone is watching on one page, which ends up being the bid list.  

In addition, many OA owners feel compelled to put in "defend the price" bids from the start to establish floor prices for the art and to goose the bidding.  This is true on Heritage as well as as Clink.  Combined with the tracking bids that many bidders put in, this quickly drives the prices up, but then they'll usually sit for a couple of weeks after the initial flurry.   

On 2/17/2024 at 10:04 PM, JollyComics said:

The notifications will be sent via email if you are outbid. It's always too late that auction is already ended.

You didn't understand what I wrote. 

On 2/17/2024 at 10:39 PM, JollyComics said:

I understood you perfectly.  Just added it.

I was saying that if you bid on something, whether you're ahead or not, if you click on "Auction Bids" it will show you the current price of everything you've bid on in the auction. It lets you follow each and every one like a watchlist. I'm not sure what email notifications have to do with it. 

I've put in my seven bids early...have six auctions of my own going as well.  My rule of thumb is seeing everything at least at 50% of market halfway through the auction to predict a pretty much market results.

Art, however, can go through the roof in the final 30 seconds; comics are more predictable.  Really hoping I win a couple pieces I'm watching, although I've noticed (anecdotally) in the past that Feb results are usually strong across the board.

Dan

On 2/18/2024 at 11:13 AM, Drummy said:

I've put in my seven bids early...have six auctions of my own going as well.  My rule of thumb is seeing everything at least at 50% of market halfway through the auction to predict a pretty much market results.

Art, however, can go through the roof in the final 30 seconds; comics are more predictable.  Really hoping I win a couple pieces I'm watching, although I've noticed (anecdotally) in the past that Feb results are usually strong across the board.

Dan

Mid Jan - Early Feb is Bonus Season in most large Corporations.

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/17/2024 at 7:36 PM, Fischb1 said:

My group of friends all put in trackers on CL. We don't do it on HA or CC. I know of many others that are the same. Because of the lack of watchlist. 

Yeah, me and my group as well. And let me take this opportunity to remind everyone that the first couple of days are JUST for tracking bids. Please just place the minimum bid (up one increment). You are NOT trying to win the piece at this early stage. There have been times the bids went up so fast I was nervous to place a tracking bid that might actually win (this being a piece I didn't actually want or couldn't afford at that price, but still wanted to track what it went for).

On 2/20/2024 at 11:44 AM, drdroom said:

And let me take this opportunity to remind everyone that the first couple of days are JUST for tracking bids. Please just place the minimum bid (up one increment). You are NOT trying to win the piece at this early stage. There have been times the bids went up so fast I was nervous to place a tracking bid that might actually win (this being a piece I didn't actually want or couldn't afford at that price, but still wanted to track what it went for).

Good luck with that.  It's clear from OA bidding across all platforms that there are bidders who put in what I call "defend the price" bids right from the start on OA, particularly high profile pieces.  

Bidding patterns are very different from most comics, where even high profile books will typically see pretty restrained bidding at the start and there's no concern in putting in a tracking bid, while OA prices jump so quickly from the start that there can be some trepidation at putting in a tracking bid.