• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EC Comics returns!
3 3

37 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2024 at 3:24 AM, jdandns said:

Pacific's Twisted Tales & Alien Worlds were created closer to the time of the original ECs (30 years later) than these new ECs were to Twisted Tales & Alien Worlds (40 years later).

And, they didn’t really work, let alone recapture the magic, even back then.

I'm all about horror anthologies, and this is a nice group of creators. However, there's a big difference between "a nice group of creators" and "the best stable of artists that comics ever produced", which is what EC had. Can't really compete with that. But if we get some cool books out of it, I don't see the harm.

This is good news and I plan on picking these up.

I guessing that all the art is done on a computer nowadays. These covers, to me, seem to have a different feel to them. Now don't get me wrong, I like them and all and plan on supporting this endeavor. Maybe it's just because they are modern. This  is why they feel a little off to me, as I am so used to the older hand drawn comics. 

On 2/21/2024 at 3:01 PM, F For Fake said:

I'm all about horror anthologies, and this is a nice group of creators. However, there's a big difference between "a nice group of creators" and "the best stable of artists that comics ever produced", which is what EC had.

Yup.  That's the problem with convincing EC fanboys like myself.

We consider those books to be absolutely untouchable in terms of sheer quality.

A short period of absolute brilliance in comics.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 2/22/2024 at 2:53 AM, Gambold Vintage said:

EC has been praised beyond the skies - and much of it is deserved.  The comics do all start to slip a bit in the final year or two - the text narration starts to overwhelm the panels, and the stories become increasingly repetitive. When I read them now I just read the dialogue, and skip all the exposition which just gets in the way of the art. 

Gaines liked his horror a certain way, and that way could get routine. There were no ghosts or demons, no satanism or slashers...but lots of vampires, zombies, werewolves and the like - and plenty of vengeful spouses. The science fiction issues, while beautifully drawn (perhaps even better than the horror), have not aged well, but then science fiction of any era never does.  The crime and war books - they are well-regarded but no-one is reading them and they sell for less than the "big six" (the three horrors, two sci-fis, and MAD).

The artwork was all top-notch - the writing not so much, as it was mostly from Al Feldstein and Bill Gaines ripping off classic stories from other writers and sources, and like I said, repeating themselves quite a bit. The Bradbury stories are always a refreshing highlight in any issue. Harvey Kurtzman has to be mentioned for his tremendous war stories and for launching MAD, almost all of which he wrote during its comics period.

Some of the artists were better in some areas than others - I never bought Jack Davis as a horror illustrator, although his comic stylings in MAD, Superfan and the like are peerless.  Graham Ingels is the king of creepy, although I do like Johnny Craig's twisted presentation, and I think he wrote a few too. Wally Wood is the master of science fiction.  Bill Elder made MAD - his riff on King Kong in Mad #6 is probably the pinnacle of the Mad comic series. The rest of the artists are all fine, but these five are the leaders and produced the most collectible covers. 

The new issues? We will see.  This has been tried before, bringing back something long gone yet still beloved.  It's a tough challenge to make it work. 

I suppose we all have certain comics or writers and artists that we get carried away with a bit, and could do with a little more constraint and objectivity.  Mine are the New Trend ECs, especially Weird Science and Weird Fantasy, which absolutely stunned me when I first read them in the early 80s as the Library hardcovers. Still some of my all-time favourite comics to this day.  As you can tell.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 2/22/2024 at 7:22 AM, The Commissioner said:

I know E.C. published a lot of horror. Which of those are considered the three titles in the "big six"?

Tales from the Crypt, Vault of Horror and Haunt of Fear. Crypt seems to get a slight edge out of the group probably due to the TV show. To me, they are all pretty much equal as far as quality is concerned.