• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you do it?
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Here we are. I recently asked on the forum to find someone to receive comics for me and group them to next ship them to me, this way i could save a lot on shipping fees and complete the last holes of my several runs...

HOWEVER, i dont really realize how risky is it or not... i think I could only blame myself if it doesn't go well... 

Nobody already do it here?

In god we trust?

Usually this arrangement is with someone you are good friends with and/or that you already have a business relationship with. 

Just to assist with clarity, what you are looking for is someone here in the USA that you could use as a "ship to" address for your purchases from various sellers. eBay most common, but it could be most any seller.  Then once the person has a decent size box of books for you, they ship your purchases to you in Switzerland. 

So the idea about mycomicshop is never going to work. No way they agree to receive and hold your purchases from eBay or Facebook or Mile High Comics until you have a box full.  They MIGHT hold books you purchased from them until you can fill a box. Might. 

The reason it has to be a good friend or someone you already have a business relationship with is because it can easily be a fair amount of effort and time by the person serving as your USA receiving address.  You will also find that some sellers - and it should be nearly all sellers - will not ship to an address other than what is associated with your payment information. Because sellers - the people you are buying comics from - can end up getting ripped off when shipping books to an address not associated with the credit card or PayPal account. 

One final note. One big box is pretty much always cheaper than multiple  little boxes to ship. But here in the USA, there are NO inexpensive international shipping services. Just none.  And there are limits on how much insurance can be purchased on  international shipments. 

Edited by Tony S

On 2/24/2024 at 5:45 AM, Dr. Love said:

ah the Swiss 

always thinking of others!

Well... i do not understand this sentence

I think the problems have been pointed out above. Unless you have a friend or relative in the US prepared to pay for things on your behalf then paying for stuff to be delivered to a different address than your own would throw up red flags for sellers. Parcels crossing the Atlantic ocean will always be costly. Most people, even buying from their own country have to add the cost of packing and postage to the price they are paying for a comic and decide if it is still a good deal. 

Paris has comic shops but if it is back issues you seek have you purchased much from the UK? a 2KG (for example) parcel from the UK to Switzerland costs between £7 and as low as £2 depending if you want it tracked/signed for and how quickly you need it delivering. 

https://www.royalmail.com/sending/international/country-guides/switzerland

On 2/24/2024 at 9:58 AM, themagicrobot said:

I think the problems have been pointed out above. Unless you have a friend or relative in the US prepared to pay for things on your behalf then paying for stuff to be delivered to a different address than your own would throw up red flags for sellers. Parcels crossing the Atlantic ocean will always be costly. Most people, even buying from their own country have to add the cost of packing and postage to the price they are paying for a comic and decide if it is still a good deal. 

Paris has comic shops but if it is back issues you seek have you purchased much from the UK? a 2KG (for example) parcel from the UK to Switzerland costs between £7 and as low as £2 depending if you want it tracked/signed for and how quickly you need it delivering. 

https://www.royalmail.com/sending/international/country-guides/switzerland

Men i have a longtime relationship with a reseller in Uk, i purchased to him near of 1000 comics... but nobody have EVERY comics, so i still need to bought to other places sometimes...

I'll note, as an aside, that FedEx very "generously" frequently delivers my packages, including from CGC and comic book retailers, to other than my address. When kindly delivering them to my address, they launch them from the front path unto my porch unless it is raining and then they graciously leave them on the stairs so that they may be washed by the rain.

I joke, but barely.

I used a forwarder in the USA for my Canadian address, and it's not nearly as good as forwarders in Japan. It's one of the best in the USA but even then, still restrictive, due to a holding time limit of two weeks. Forces you to have to rush and order everything within that time frame.

If you don't make frequent orders, just swallow the occasional shipping cost.

Ideally, everyone would want a local friend in a target country for conveniently cheap forwarding, but that's not always going to happen. If you don't have a friend in the USA, then you're SOL.

Edited by stormflora

On 2/24/2024 at 8:36 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I'll note, as an aside, that FedEx very "generously" frequently delivers my packages, including from CGC and comic book retailers, to other than my address. When kindly delivering them to my address, they launch them from the front path unto my porch unless it is raining and then they graciously leave them on the stairs so that they may be washed by the rain.

I joke, but barely.

I'm in agreement with @Tec-Tac-Toe. When I order books (or packages in general), I always have them shipped to my place of work. Someone is always there to sign for them, and I just pick them up the next day I go to work. We live on an infrequently traveled road, but I still worry about "porch pirates."

On 2/24/2024 at 7:54 AM, Math Teacher said:

I'm in agreement with @Tec-Tac-Toe. When I order books (or packages in general), I always have them shipped to my place of work. Someone is always there to sign for them, and I just pick them up the next day I go to work. We live on an infrequently traveled road, but I still worry about "porch pirates."

I did the same thing when I was working. I’m now semi retired and work from home. My office faces the front door and I have a ring device to notify me when someone is at the door.

More important, I made friends with my mailman and he now leaves my packages in a planter next to the door dry and out of sight. Have never had a problem.

From a sellers point of view I wouldn't want to take on the responsibility of being the middle man.  There's too much that could go wrong that I would get blamed for.  It wouldn't be worth the bit of extra money to take on the liability.  I'd do it for a friend like others have said.  But couldn't take the risk with someone I don't know.  

On 2/24/2024 at 6:38 PM, BeardedBubba said:

From a sellers point of view I wouldn't want to take on the responsibility of being the middle man.  There's too much that could go wrong that I would get blamed for.  It wouldn't be worth the bit of extra money to take on the liability.  I'd do it for a friend like others have said.  But couldn't take the risk with someone I don't know.  

Well, in these kind of process there would be a no liability clause