• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What happens when I hit 50 posts?
8 8

58 posts in this topic

This is my 50th post, gonna document what happens to my account after I leave this post and become a 50 post account holder.

My intent was to get to 50 posts so I can leave a WTB thread in the secret hidden wanted section, not open to anyone below 50 posts.

Here goes, "Submit"!

On 2/25/2024 at 9:03 AM, Kortoga said:

I hit 50, and now have been told I will not be getting let into the WTB section because my posts are only being made to get the 50 posts. Admin has been resting the count.  I was asked to get with admin in a month to see if I can be let in at that time.

None of my posts broke any of the forums rules. However, I will wait a month as directed. Thank you

That is a bit shady but par for the course on the forums; rules are malleable and you wont be told anything.

Good luck

On 2/25/2024 at 9:07 AM, shadroch said:

The spirit of the rule is to keep the WTB forum to regulars, not people who fly in and make 50 posts to use it. 

I generally dislike rules that are based on mind-reading or divining the intent of someone you've never met, but if anyone has the ability, it's Mike.

On 2/25/2024 at 8:03 AM, Kortoga said:

I hit 50, and now have been told I will not be getting let into the WTB section because my posts are only being made to get the 50 posts. Admin has been resting the count.  I was asked to get with admin in a month to see if I can be let in at that time.

None of my posts broke any of the forums rules. However, I will wait a month as directed. Thank you

To be fair you started posting on this forum 9 hours ago.  The rule was designed to prevent someone from joining the boards and scamming people easily/immediately.

Perhaps the rule should be amended to 50 posts and at least one month of posts on the board?

@CGC Mike

On 2/25/2024 at 12:45 PM, thehumantorch said:

To be fair you started posting on this forum 9 hours ago.  The rule was designed to prevent someone from joining the boards and scamming people easily/immediately.

Perhaps the rule should be amended to 50 posts and at least one month of posts on the board?

@CGC Mike

When I read the initial post I thought CGC was out of line. But if he dropped 50 posts in 9 hours,  that does seem spammy. 

I would message Mike in 30 days as requested and in the mean time,  contribute,  have fun,  create a dialog. 

Thanks to everyone for their input. Whatever the rule is I will follow it. However, there is ZERO information on said rule. I literally got an itch this week to find this specific comic to start the hunt for, then I realized there are graded comics with signatures and this company CGC. Excited, I created an account with CGC, here I am. I posted my first post, and found I could post more, so I did. Waited for the moderator to approve them.  He did.  Then I spent literally a few hours trying to figure out where to post a WTB. Nothing on the forums, the searches gave nothing. I found a link to a very old post through google. The people were speaking about a 50 post rule before that section is unlocked.

So I started down the road to reward to unlock that section.  And I made a fun game out of it.

Now I am learning from a moderator I broke a rule of going after a specific reason why someone might want to be a member of this community. Do I want to go into the wanted section?  Hell Yes! Will I find other areas of this forum useful, probably so. But my word, I am now being penalized for wanting to go into the wanted room first. What a grand welcome.

I wonder how many members ONLY go into the wanted or sales areas of this forum, and NEVER get the ban for only wanting that? Maybe I don't want to have chit chat about comics, I do, but what if I did not? What if all I wanted was to use CGC for what they do, and talk about it inside the wanted and sales portion of this forum? Why is that bad?

Maybe this forum needs someone to sit down and explain that in a sticky.

New members need to give to the community before they can receive any of the benefits of being part of the community.

I will wait until such time cgc mike gives me the security OK. he said a month then he will consider it.  Who knows what new rule I will have to figure out on the fly.  Either way, I have friends and my local comic shop that is now looking for this specific comic for me.  That is ALL I want right now, and IF I decide I want more, maybe this is not the place for me, we will see in a month.

On 2/25/2024 at 12:15 PM, KCOComics said:

in the mean time,  contribute,  have fun,  create a dialog. 

I get what you are saying, but what if my contribution to the community IS buying comics from members who want to sell them.

And talking to those folks. Maybe I don't want to have conversations about the 15,000 other threads people talk about.

Is that specifically what every member must do to be a member here? I doubt it.

I do actually want to be a part of this community, right now I am being told how I need to be a part of it as I fumble through it. getting my hand slapped while I go down the road of 50 posts in under 9 hours? What kind of security risk am I?

I want to buy this comic, everybody look out for this guy, he is a buyer looking for something we sell and collect. He is suspect of being a spammer. Did anyone read any of my posts and are they "Spammy"? They are dang posts like everyone elses, literally contributing to the threads I posted to.  Just because I added, I am working to get my 50 posts, I seem to have hurt some backsides.  YES, I specifically wanted to get to 50 to get to the Wanted section.  What is wrong with that? You offer it, I want it.

Imagine this were an in-person club or group. Would the group as a whole rather get to know a new member before getting all their goodies out and offering them? Yes they would. And as for what kind of risk you may pose, well that question is also answered once we all get to know a little about you and what got you into comics. Not just comics either, there are threads about what else you like, films and general chat. All sorts.

Play the game a little and then reap the benefits of having the ear of a great bunch of comic lovers and access to their knowledge and expertise.

Even the guy who finds the magic lantern has to polish it a little before it offers him his three wishes. 

I don't want to disrespect anyone with my comments.

However, first it was I need to make 50 posts because I am new AND I had to figure that one out on my own.  There was no help from the group, no forum rules posted, I literally found that info by chance.

Then it was a security risk and cgc mike doesn't like people making 50 posts specifically to get the 50 posts.  I get that.  However, can no one see I am excited and want to get into this community? Jesus, you make the rule, I follow it now more is put onto me to "prove" I am OK to join.  What the hell kind of a welcome is that?  Seriously?

Now, it is because everyone needs to get to know me first before letting me buy something from the group.  Seriously?  What is the next reason going to be, please, someone hit me with it. What have I done besides wanting to be a part of this community?  Sorry if I don't have thousands of comic books and have been doing this for 20 years and know everything I need to be doing.

I have been reading digital, have some accounts with some of the Indie publishers, I love their work, I am getting into the art and writing, and now I want to buy my first back issue comic, signed, top of the line, nice, slabbed, and I am getting dumped on because I am excited and want to get it now.

Who wrote this groups welcome wagon?  My word, lock yourselves up into a dark room and run for your lives. There is someone here wanting to be a part of this group and all anyone can tell me is I am suspect of being a spammer, scammer, a security risk, and now I haven't proved my worth to the group.  I don't even know why I am trying to be a part of this group.

I guess last night when I found CGC's website I read the ENTIRE wedsite exited about this unique method of preserving the quality of the paper comic book.  And here I am, a spammer and a scammer until proven otherwise. My money transfers the same exact way yours does in EVERY transaction, through Paypal or any other secure means. So how if the hell am I a scammer?  This is total nonsense.

On 2/25/2024 at 2:09 PM, JollyComics said:

This avatar https://content.invisioncic.com/r266625/monthly_2024_02/Kortoga-Avatar-Transparent.png.0021a5cad801bbbf691bb045ff8533c4.png reminds of the Space Invaders.

CGC may be feared of being invaded so they have to protect themselves.   You are only 12 hours old since you joined CGC forum.

I am an electrical engineer and helped many years ago to develop software you would be familiar with.  This is an avatar I like to use to remind me of that time.

Edited by Kortoga
clarity