• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What happens when I hit 50 posts?
8 8

58 posts in this topic

On 2/25/2024 at 2:30 PM, Kortoga said:

I am an electrical engineer and helped many years ago to develop what is now Mame, open source, and everywhere now. We burned the old arcade roms and dug into the logical programs to build the software to emulate those systems, each system had its own way of working with each manufacture's rom chips.  They were kind of the same, but as always, companies like to make things proprietary.  It was a process and there were a lot of us working through email because we did not have forums like there are today. We had news groups. That was a very long time ago. I have done a lot more different things since then. I use this avatar sometimes because it reminds me of those years. No I am not invading,

I know. CGC is still afraid of the spammers. Don't worry. I find it amusing and it's fantastic that you had worked with those old arcade video machines.

On 2/25/2024 at 2:09 PM, pemart1966 said:

Sounds as if you and board members would be better served if you set up your want notifications with the various auction houses and eBay instead of here.

Rules is rules.

Yeah, probably so. I think at this point I am trying to figure out why I am being viewed as a hole. I will move on. Thank you...

On 2/25/2024 at 3:18 PM, Kortoga said:

first it was I need to make 50 posts because I am new AND I had to figure that one out on my own.  There was no help from the group, no forum rules posted, I literally found that info by chance.

Then it was a security risk and cgc mike doesn't like people making 50 posts specifically to get the 50 posts.  I get that.  However, can no one see I am excited and want to get into this community? Jesus, you make the rule, I follow it now more is put onto me to "prove" I am OK to join.  What the hell kind of a welcome is that?  Seriously?

Actually, right from the rip, it was/is a security issue.

Keep in mind, there's only so much that can be done to help protect the members of this community from potential spammers, and especially scammers.  And the 50-post count starter for new members is one of the few we have.  She ain't fool-proof by any stretch; but it's one of the few we have.  And, honestly, from what I've read here, you totally missed the point of it.  It sure as hell wasn't to keep you from being able to list any/all WTB's that you may have to help add to your own collection.  Unless I'm somehow completely off the mark here, it's actually set up to prevent new (potential/alleged) scammers from honing in and possibly duping boardies here out of their hard-earned cash.  NOT saying you are one of those potential scammers; but as has been pointed out, and even you yourself admitted: you've barely just hit over the 12-hour mark as a member of this community, and you already have over the 50-post count; specifically with the intent of hitting up the WTB forum.  Regardless of your intent, I encourage you to look at it from the opposite side to see how that looks to everyone else; especially given recent 2024 events.

You don't have to agree.  Just hoping you'll SEE.

HTH,

-TRM

Edited by TRMN8R5

On 2/25/2024 at 1:39 PM, Kortoga said:

Yeah, probably so. I think at this point I am trying to figure out why I am being viewed as a hole. I will move on. Thank you...

You're not being viewed as an a hole.  We've had people come here and immediately try to scam boardies, thus the 50 post rule.  I'd imagine that when you said you were posting as a deliberate attempt to get around the 50 post rule Mike found that concerning. 

I would like to know what book you're looking for and who's signature you'd like to get.

I don't understand the desperation why you feel you need to post your WTB here.  There are other sites available that have many more sellers than here, such as eBay, with a wider selection of books.  While the 50 post counts doesn't prevent scammers from getting through, I think a person's conduct can be a red flag to many sellers.

• Administrator

Hey all

The 50 post minimum isn't a written rule.  It's a security measure to prevent scammers from ripping forum members off.  typically, these are not advertised to new users.    This is how it works.  The scammer makes one seemingly legitimate post, as 0 post users can't send anyone a PM.  (another security measure I made )  After I approve the post, the scammer immediately goes to the want to buy forum.  He/she then grabs scans of books people are seeking randomly off from the internet, and PM them to the user that has the WTB thread.  I have been made aware of dozens of them.  Luckily, all of the ones that I was made aware of, the forum member was able to see this as a scam, by either finding the actual pics that were stolen off from the internet, or just had a feeling something was off.  Then, I would delete the PM, and ban the scammer.  It became obvious to me that something more had to be done.  So, I changed the settings so the WTB forum would not be visible to anyone until they reach 50 posts.  This is not full proof, as some people would post emojis or make nothing posts to achieve the minimum post count to get access to the forum.  I try to keep an eye on this, and step in if I see someone doing this.  

On 2/25/2024 at 6:44 PM, thehumantorch said:

You're not being viewed as an a hole.  We've had people come here and immediately try to scam boardies, thus the 50 post rule.  I'd imagine that when you said you were posting as a deliberate attempt to get around the 50 post rule Mike found that concerning. 

I would like to know what book you're looking for and who's signature you'd like to get.

My intent is to purchase Seven to Eternity #1A, first print, 9.8, CGCs, signed by Rick Remender and Jerome Opena

I am slowly reading this series, I have the deluxe book, but I do not read it because my eyesight is not that good and digital is easier. I have a very large flat screen sideways that I started reading my comic books on.

I am not a collector, and do understand my ability to own this comic at that rating is going to be determined on finding the right person who currently owns the book and making an offer AND timing (which is why I just want to start the clock on getting my WTB posted). I want this book to put on my wall to showcase my recent enjoyment in comic books. None of my friends or family understand why I would get into "comic books" when they read real books. They don't criticize, but they also don't see this as a serious type of reading material. At this time I do not see myself buying anything else but this one comic. Who knows?  I will probably get more, there are no plans. I like the story, I like the art, I like the fact it is not a main stream product like Marvel or DC. I have zero interest in Batman, Spiderman, Superman or whatever other character that has 15,000 different story lines out each week. To me, that is a serious overflow of marketing and waters down what I enjoy.  Another comic I recently liked is The Madness. I like the stories and the art and like an ending. I also liked Black Science and am reading the new ALIEN series.

I have looked on eBay, looked on My Comic Shop, searched google, asked my local comic book store to help track it down, and now I am here. As I learned more about how the sales of back issue comic books work, I figured what better place to go to than where people who are constantly working with CGC to get comic books graded, signed, everything CGC has to offer. I literally read through the entire website of CGC, signed up for an account, and came straight here.

A little about me, I am not a person who goes small. I already have a spot picked out, and a plan on how I am going to showcase this one comic book. This is not an investment for me so I am not looking to get the best deal, but I am also not looking to waste money either.

I have no idea what type of scams this hobby has. I recently read about that guy who was replacing comics inside the holders or something like that. I have zero intentions to ever purchase comics at that level, let alone a main stream comic everyone wants.  However, I know that in the end it comes down to a transaction between 2 people. My reference to Paypal is exactly what that is. We all know how that works and the protections Paypal offers. I doubt CGC offers any protection besides what mike is doing, if CGC does offer protection that is a plus. My point is, and this conversation can get deep and not my intentions to go there, the only scam I can foresee with what I want is a transaction scam either from the buyer or seller.  However, whatever transaction method is used, money has to be sent, verified, then the product is shipped. Very little can go wrong here that cannot be mitigated. I have no idea what scams you guys deal with in terms of what mike was talking about and doubt any of them have anything to do with what I want to do inside the wanted section.

Thank you for the input everyone.

On 2/26/2024 at 2:49 AM, Kortoga said:

My intent is to purchase Seven to Eternity #1A, first print, 9.8, CGCs, signed by Rick Remender and Jerome Opena

That is a good series; i've had the sketch book signed by both of them in 9.8 on ebay in my watch list for sometime hoping the price would drop.

oh yeah, no Newton Rings.  Been reading about that nightmare and as an engineer I understand exactly the problem and I don't need someone's laziness in design and purchasing to cause the optical superiority to be compromised and then call it normal because the cost of fixing the problem is beyond bean counting levels.  That would be like buying a Lambo and when it cannot do 140mph (or anything the specifications said it should do) the manufacture tells you it is normal because blah blah blah engineering blah blah blah technical blah blah blah. My take on that is, I don't want Newton Rings.  I would rather have a CGC graded comic, but if Newton Rings are a problem, I will go with CBCS. It is not that much of a deviation from what I want. But the Newton Rings for me are a show stopper.

Edited by Kortoga

On 2/26/2024 at 1:49 AM, Kortoga said:

I am slowly reading this series, I have the deluxe book, but I do not read it because my eyesight is not that good and digital is easier. I have a very large flat screen sideways that I started reading my comic books on.

I am not a collector, and do understand my ability to own this comic at that rating is going to be determined on finding the right person who currently owns the book and making an offer AND timing (which is why I just want to start the clock on getting my WTB posted). I want this book to put on my wall to showcase my recent enjoyment in comic books. None of my friends or family understand why I would get into "comic books" when they read real books. They don't criticize, but they also don't see this as a serious type of reading material. At this time I do not see myself buying anything else but this one comic. Who knows?  I will probably get more, there are no plans. I like the story, I like the art, I like the fact it is not a main stream product like Marvel or DC. I have zero interest in Batman, Spiderman, Superman or whatever other character that has 15,000 different story lines out each week. To me, that is a serious overflow of marketing and waters down what I enjoy.  Another comic I recently liked is The Madness. I like the stories and the art and like an ending. I also liked Black Science and am reading the new ALIEN series.

I have looked on eBay, looked on My Comic Shop, searched google, asked my local comic book store to help track it down, and now I am here. As I learned more about how the sales of back issue comic books work, I figured what better place to go to than where people who are constantly working with CGC to get comic books graded, signed, everything CGC has to offer. I literally read through the entire website of CGC, signed up for an account, and came straight here.

A little about me, I am not a person who goes small. I already have a spot picked out, and a plan on how I am going to showcase this one comic book. This is not an investment for me so I am not looking to get the best deal, but I am also not looking to waste money either.

I have no idea what type of scams this hobby has. I recently read about that guy who was replacing comics inside the holders or something like that. I have zero intentions to ever purchase comics at that level, let alone a main stream comic everyone wants.  However, I know that in the end it comes down to a transaction between 2 people. My reference to Paypal is exactly what that is. We all know how that works and the protections Paypal offers. I doubt CGC offers any protection besides what mike is doing, if CGC does offer protection that is a plus. My point is, and this conversation can get deep and not my intentions to go there, the only scam I can foresee with what I want is a transaction scam either from the buyer or seller.  However, whatever transaction method is used, money has to be sent, verified, then the product is shipped. Very little can go wrong here that cannot be mitigated. I have no idea what scams you guys deal with in terms of what mike was talking about and doubt any of them have anything to do with what I want to do inside the wanted section.

Thank you for the input everyone.

Hey thanks for the reply.  I looked up the book at mycomicshop - I'm more of a 1940s to 1960s collector so didn't know it - and the cover looks cool.  mycomicshop does have a graded 9.8 but it isn't signed.  I'm guessing a copy signed by Remender and Opena is a pretty rare item.  Good luck on the quest.

This hobby, like all hobbies, has it's share of scammers.  As this hobby has grown and the cost of 'the good stuff' has increased the number of scammers has increased.  It's sad to say, if there's a buck to be made someone will try to make it dishonestly.  

As an update. I have literally been posting at CBCS forum with wanted posts "immediately" after signing in and becoming "authorized". This all happening after I got the 1 month ban from the wanted section and not allowed to enter because I might be a spammer or scammer.

All I have to say is, for being forced to wait an entire month before I am granted access, this wanted section here at CGC better be this mystical fantastical place where members walk down golden streets and there are no scammers or spammers and members are dumping deals with each other that you need a secret VIP backdoor pass from security guards to get in. I have this small voice in the back of my head telling me this will not be the case.

• Administrator
On 2/28/2024 at 7:31 AM, Kortoga said:

All I have to say is, for being forced to wait an entire month before I am granted access, this wanted section here at CGC better be this mystical fantastical place where members walk down golden streets and there are no scammers or spammers and members are dumping deals with each other that you need a secret VIP backdoor pass from security guards to get in. I have this small voice in the back of my head telling me this will not be the case.

I have removed the restrictions, and you now have access.  Good luck!  

On 2/28/2024 at 4:31 AM, Kortoga said:

As an update. I have literally been posting at CBCS forum with wanted posts "immediately" after signing in and becoming "authorized". This all happening after I got the 1 month ban from the wanted section and not allowed to enter because I might be a spammer or scammer.

Actually, they implant a subdermal microchip.  Welcome to the boards!  (thumbsu

On 2/28/2024 at 7:31 AM, Kortoga said:

All I have to say is, for being forced to wait an entire month before I am granted access, this wanted section here at CGC better be this mystical fantastical place

First - Welcome to the boards.

Second - When I first arrived here I made several "errors".  Thankfully, other members guided me in the right direction and assisted me in becoming part of the community.  Many helped me find books I was looking for (sometimes very hard to find books), and they asked nothing in return (typically just letting me know of someone else who had the book I was looking for).  I have posted often about several of these members and how kind they were to me.  I am very thankful and grateful to many here.  It can be a great place and there are so many people here who love the hobby and enjoy helping others find their "dream book".   - I will give you just one quick example.  I had posted (not in the WTB section but just in general) that I would like to find a B&W copy of "If the Devil Would Talk".  Given there are only 4 known copies and I had wanted one for decades, I thought it unlikely I would ever obtain one.  Within a very short time, a fellow board member let me know he had seen one coming up for auction.  Although he had nothing to gain from the transaction, still he took the time to reach out to me and let me know this was my chance.  Needless to say, I now own that book - thanks to this awesome board member and his kindness.

Third - From my experience, the WTB section is not a magical place.  I have only had marginal success there in obtaining books I was looking for.  Still, I had success and posting there cost me exactly ZERO.  Thank you to CGC for providing this free service.  In one case I actually obtained a book that had a double 9.8 cover (double cover and both had been graded 9.8) on a book I was looking for.  I was not looking for a double cover, however, this rare find was something I never would have been able to obtain, had I not posted in the WTB.  I will say the WTB section sometimes takes times (so one must be patient - something I confess I am not great at accomplishing).

Anyway, those are my thoughts (for the little they are worth).  Once again Welcome to the Boards.

Thanks to @CGC Mike for removing the restriction so you can hopefully find what you are seeking.  Mike is a great guy and very reasonable - we are lucky to have him here.

On 2/28/2024 at 7:18 AM, CGC Mike said:

I have removed the restrictions, and you now have access.  Good luck!  

THANK YOU!!!!  For letting me be a part of this community. I hope to be helpful to others.