• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

submitted books serial number reported as stolen
1 1

20 posts in this topic

I got my books graded through CGC a comic book store owner helped me with the paper work. now he is claiming that they are his books as they are on his account and If I don't give him the books he'll sue me and claim I am in possession of stolen property. since his website hasn't been updated and everything is out of stock. has anyone been in a similar situation or know what to do next? the store is https://www.dangerouswaterscomics.com/all-comics

Do you have proof of payment to the comic shop owner? An invoice stating what you paid for?

What evidence do you have that these books are yours, that you paid for the submission, etc?

Were the books shipped to you or the comic shop? I was under the impression all submissions were sent ONLY to the address on the account.

On 2/26/2024 at 8:15 AM, LG6 said:

I got my books graded through CGC a comic book store owner helped me with the paper work. now he is claiming that they are his books as they are on his account and If I don't give him the books he'll sue me and claim I am in possession of stolen property. since his website hasn't been updated and everything is out of stock. has anyone been in a similar situation or know what to do next? the store is https://www.dangerouswaterscomics.com/all-comics

Web site equates to a crappy store.

But you definitely need to provide more info.

Hah. If the comics are in your possession and you have all the receipts/invoices to prove you did purchase the comics and/or get them graded, tell him to kick rocks.

because I live in Canada I could only send him money for the comic books through PayPal. only his wife had a PayPal account I have the proof I sent it to her. he said he never got the payment. I showed him the proof I have of me sending the money. he explained that only covers shipping and that I still owe the full amount. this is months if not a full year after receiving the books. 

I'm just sharing so no one else gets themselves in this situation submit your own books

On 2/26/2024 at 6:00 PM, LG6 said:

because I live in Canada I could only send him money for the comic books through PayPal. only his wife had a PayPal account I have the proof I sent it to her. he said he never got the payment. I showed him the proof I have of me sending the money. he explained that only covers shipping and that I still owe the full amount. this is months if not a full year after receiving the books. 

I'm just sharing so no one else gets themselves in this situation submit your own books

Once again, tell him to kick rocks.

it cost 250 to grade 5 books the oldest being from 83. he said it would be cheaper if we used his business account and I could send him the money later. after payment to his wife's paypal (he said he doesn't have his own because he doesn't agree with their terms of service) he said that he never got it. when I showed him, I got that "doesn't cover the cost of everything and include interest." I know he's just trying to scam me but is there any way CGC can take my books from me? or mark on the census that the serial numbers I have are claimed as stolen? I was told if I didn't pay up I would have to appear in court and he would call CGC and tell them the books where stolen when In fact that is a lie. Iv never graded a book before so I don't know how screwed I am. 

On 2/26/2024 at 7:36 AM, jas1vans said:

Do you have proof of payment to the comic shop owner? An invoice stating what you paid for?

What evidence do you have that these books are yours, that you paid for the submission, etc?

Were the books shipped to you or the comic shop? I was under the impression all submissions were sent ONLY to the address on the account.

Many with dealer accounts have books shipped directly back to the client

On 2/27/2024 at 2:09 AM, Tony S said:

As Stormflora said - if you have the books in your possession and they are your books just ignore any and all  threats of legal action. Dangerous Waters is in Florida. You said you live in Canada.  He's bluffing  - the legal costs would be many multiples of the value of the books. It's hard to get court judgments when two different jurisdictions are involved and both are in the same state. Two countries? LOL. Die of old age before anything happens.  Besides that - if the books were submitted under the owner or stores account THEY FILLED OUT THE RETURN ADDRESS.  You don't need to worry about actions by CGC. CGC sent the books where they were told after they were paid. They have done their part. 

As an aside - Dangerous Waters does not have a Dealer Account with CGC.  At least not according to the CGC Dealer look up.  Nor do they list on their website that you can send books to CGC through them. With shipping $250 is in the general ball park - a little high - for five moderns.  Retail would be $25 a book ($125) a five dollar invoice fee and $80 return shipping.  That's $210 - plus whatever he charged to ship the books to CGC.  So you certainly were not saving any money going through the store's account. 

I feel like a weights been lifted off my chest.... thank you

On 2/27/2024 at 4:49 PM, Tnexus said:

Sounds like the dude got divorced and is trying to claw back some money.

If you have conversations of him telling you to send it to his wife's account you can tell him to pound sand.

Now he should tell him to pound sand? That other guy said to kick rocks. Should they do both? I'm confused as to what should be done to the sand and the rocks.

On 2/27/2024 at 3:09 AM, Tony S said:

Retail would be $25 a book ($125) a five dollar invoice fee and $80 return shipping.  That's $210 - plus whatever he charged to ship the books to CGC.  So you certainly were not saving any money going through the store's account. 

Not to get off topic, but this could be the amount in CAD not USD.