• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dividing a Wrap into 2 Separate Pages
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hi.  I previously posted this in the grading/restoration section.  But I had meant to post it here, in the "Ask CGC" section, because I had hoped to hear an answer directly from CGC.  Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------

I recently got a wrap of Amazing Fantasy 15, and I want to divide it into individual pages for CGC grading.  I don't want to grade the wrap as is, because I'd rather both sides show the Spider-Man story, instead of one side being Spider-Man and the other side being a completely unrelated story from deeper in the book.

What I'm worried about is, I don't want a purple/green label, or any notation about it being "trimmed."  I've seen many pages graded with no such issue; but I've also seen a few that DO have that issue.

If you could please advise me, how can I safely divide the wrap into two separate pages, avoiding any purple/green label or "trimmed" terminology, it would be greatly appreciated.

Am I allowed to use scissors, or a knife?  Do I need to tear it by hand?

Thank you for your input.

-----

Oh yeah... one more thing.  Can I specify which side of the page I want to be the forward facing page (even if it would otherwise be considered the backside of the page)?  As in, if the page were numbered 5 on one side and 6 on the other for example, could I have the side numbered 6 forward facing, with the side numbered 5 on the backside of the CGC holder?

Edited by WOLVERINE335

• Administrator

Hey @WOLVERINE335,

This is not information we can assist with. This will be moved back to the grading/restoration section. As for which side will face forward, our graders generally will face whatever page comes first forward in the slab. You can add a sticky note to the bag and board requesting a specific side facing forward but this will be up to our encapsulation team. I am sorry for the inconvenience. 

Okay.  Thanks Matt.

Now... Since CGC won't give a direct answer on this, I open it back up to the community:  Can anyone here add their advice and/or experience with this?  I'm looking for the "cleanest" way to divide the wrap, but it's very important to me that the page avoid getting the dreaded purple or green label, and I don't want any notation about it having been "trimmed" or any other such thing.  Not sure why CGC won't explain the parameters around what to do or not to do... but hopefully someone here can help!

On 2/29/2024 at 2:45 PM, MattM CS said:

Hey @WOLVERINE335,

This is not information we can assist with.

I do not understand why there is not an answer for this as this should be a company policy: SOP on how to grade/handle single page submissions.

Are you inferring that CGC does not have any guidelines on this? or are the guidelines internal and hidden from the public?

Either way is shady.

Posted (edited)

I suppose ripping it by hand would keep me clear of any purple or green labels, right?

But it's certainly not going to come out looking as clean that way!

Maybe I can fold it back and forth a hundred times until it basically falls apart at the natural crease?

Very frustrating to not get any policy guidelines, help or advice from CGC on this.

Edited by WOLVERINE335