• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Point Five's 5th Annual Grading Contest: SIGNUP THREAD! Closed!
9 9

65 posts in this topic

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it. I'm about to lose control and I think I like it. A new "unofficial" grading contest! 

I've got 14 freshly CGC-graded books in my hands. I'll provide you with front and back raw scans for each book -- and for a few books, additional pics -- and full grading notes. Take your best shot at guessing the CGC grades.

Scoring is old-school-contest as follows:

Bullseye = 5 points
1 grade off = 3 points
2 grades off = 1 point
3 or more grades off = -1 point.

(Remember, with my contests you want the HIGHEST score, not the LOWEST one!)  :makepoint: 

--

RULES (PLEASE READ!) :

-- **Post here that you're "In" on this game by adding your screenname to the signup list in this thread.** I'll take 40 contestants and no more; first come first serve. I simply don't have the bandwidth to score more than that. I encourage you to play along at home even if you miss the signup... you'll get a nice focused snapshot of CGC's current grading for books like these.

-- Thursday night (3/7) at 10 pm EST, I will start a Round 1 thread and post scans for the first 3 books. You'll have 48 hours to grade them, at which point the round will close and I'll post the reveals. Send me a PM with your grades (make the title "Grading Contest: [your username]") and I'll record them. Send just one PM with your grades and add to that PM thread for future rounds. No changing of grades.  

(Note: I ask that you do not use the CGC census in any way, shape or form, as IMO it goes against the spirit of the contest. By playing, you agree to this. Thanks.) :foryou:

-- Rounds 2-4 will follow, also with 48-hour turnarounds unless otherwise noted. Work & family life are a bit slamming for me and I may need to delay a round if necessary but will do my best to keep things moving along.  

The player with the highest score wins $25 PayPal from me. If there are ties for first place, the tying contestant with the highest number of bullseyes will be the winner. If there are *still* ties from there, we'll divvy up the prize between those with highest scores/most bullseyes. By playing, you agree to all that too.

Good luck!  :banana:

--Jon 

Edited by Point Five

Great!
If you're in on this contest, copy this list and add your name to the end like so,

1. WolverineX

2. thehumantorch

3. Wipple

4. frozentundraguy

On 3/4/2024 at 9:38 PM, Point Five said:

Great!
If you're in on this contest, copy this list and add your name to the end like so,

1. WolverineX

2. thehumantorch

3. Wipple

4. frozentundraguy

Whoa whoa whoa

1. thehumantorch
2 WolverineX
3. Wipple
4. thehumantorc
5. frozentundraguy

At least I can be at the front before the contest starts...

On 3/4/2024 at 11:43 PM, thehumantorch said:

Whoa whoa whoa

1. thehumantorch
2 WolverineX
3. Wipple
4. thehumantorc
5. frozentundraguy

At least I can be at the front before the contest starts...

I hope you grade better than you proofread.  :baiting: 

1. WolverineX

2. thehumantorch

3. Wipple

4. frozentundraguy

5. grendelbo

6. Albert_Thurgood

7. AJD

I have to demonstrate that my desperately unlucky 1 point behind a three way tie for first in the last comp was a sheer fluke. Hopefully a truly mediocre outcome awaits, thus reducing any expectations on me in the future.

On 3/5/2024 at 7:06 AM, AJD said:

I have to demonstrate that my desperately unlucky 1 point behind a three way tie for first in the last comp was a sheer fluke. Hopefully a truly mediocre outcome awaits, thus reducing any expectations on me in the future.

Boy, *that's* really weird. I was just meeting with the contest team and we were reviewing the mission statement...

image.thumb.png.c9a36687f7d43b30c2900b5d050e7f3c.png

Count me in please

EDIT: Just read the request to add to the list.

1. WolverineX

2. thehumantorch

3. Wipple

4. frozentundraguy

5. grendelbo

6. Albert_Thurgood

7. Get Marwood & I

8. AJD

9. scburdet

10. Cocomonkey

11. Lninefingers

Edited by Lninefingers