• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Is This A 2.0 ?
2 2

15 posts in this topic

On 3/5/2024 at 5:11 PM, topcat54 said:

Where's the multiple staples

Spoiler

I think it is terminology, same as multiple staple front cover detached or multiple front cover detached staple.

Probably 3 staples with two detached, so not specifically a "detached cover" :cheers:

Nevermind

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Although I know Mark Jewelers books onky had 2 staples that are off center, I think. Idk about older comics, so grain of salt  :) I thought they had 3 staples

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 3/5/2024 at 5:19 PM, comicjack said:

That is the kind of 2.0 you want looks way better than the grade 

Unless you get the reaction of unbelievable still lol

I guess that it could go the other way haha 

The "Large Spine Split" is probably a major culprit here:

2.0 GOOD (GD):  Back to Top
Shows substantial wear; often considered a "reading copy." Cover shows significant wear and may even be detached. Cover reflectivity is low and in some cases completely absent. Book-length creases and dimples may be present. Rounded corners are more common. Moderate soiling, staining, discoloration and foxing may be present. The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square, although some Silver Age books such as 1960s Marvels have had the price corner box clipped from the top left front cover and may be considered Good if they would otherwise have graded higher. Tape and other forms of amateur repair are common in Silver Age and older books. Spine roll is likely. May have up to a 2" spine split. Staples may be degraded, replaced or missing. Moderate staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Centerfold may be loose or detached. Moderate interior tears may be present.

CGC's stated policy is to grade as if the tape isn't there, so that might explain the low grade - the cover and centerfold might both have been detached but are now attached by tape.

On 3/5/2024 at 5:32 PM, topcat54 said:

It does look good, but a detached cover with a major split cant be higher than a 2.0. The book looks good since its all held together in a slab but if you were handling it loose, it would literally be falling apart. 
This is simply a low grade book that looks good in a slab and its a good example of when it makes sense to slab a book, if you want to make the most of a sale.

Edited by William-James88

On 3/5/2024 at 4:54 PM, Axe Elf said:

The "Large Spine Split" is probably a major culprit here:

2.0 GOOD (GD):  Back to Top
Shows substantial wear; often considered a "reading copy." Cover shows significant wear and may even be detached. Cover reflectivity is low and in some cases completely absent. Book-length creases and dimples may be present. Rounded corners are more common. Moderate soiling, staining, discoloration and foxing may be present. The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square, although some Silver Age books such as 1960s Marvels have had the price corner box clipped from the top left front cover and may be considered Good if they would otherwise have graded higher. Tape and other forms of amateur repair are common in Silver Age and older books. Spine roll is likely. May have up to a 2" spine split. Staples may be degraded, replaced or missing. Moderate staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Centerfold may be loose or detached. Moderate interior tears may be present.

Agreed - I think the 'spine weak' notation (which I've never seen) maybe alludes to a brittleness in the spine only, and may not survive being encased and/or removed/handled? On the other hand, it seems odd to grade against something that hasn't happened - but I've handled a book that you can tell it's only going to last one or two more flip-throughs before the spine falls apart.