• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Comic Warehouse in Brooklyn is Closing
2 2

30 posts in this topic

On 3/9/2024 at 7:15 PM, LazySundayComics said:

Reading over brunch that Koch's Comics Warehouse in Brooklyn is closing soon, I rushed in the rain today and was glad I did.

I'd read differing things about the pricing but had nothing but a great experience; everything in the warehouse is 20% anyway but Mr. Koch himself was delightful and priced things so low- I got some decent Silver Age romance for under $10 and an Atlas Era Romance with Colletta cover (obviously aping Robert Mitchum) for $15. Was well worth a visit before it closes. Get there if you can!

The legendary Koch Comics Warehouse is closing soon (comicsbeat.com)

IMG_1875.jpeg

Oh wow! Some nice romance, including Konga's Revenge!

:luhv:

When I had my shops in NY, I'd try to visit them every six weeks or so. I don't think they were open to the public back then, and he had an odd rule that you had to buy an average of three per item. You could buy 100 of one item and one each of twenty others.  Joe was great to work with, as was his entire staff.  I've never been in a warehouse like his.  I'm not sure another one like it will ever be seen.  I've heard Doug Sulipa's is similar, but I have never seen photos.

On 3/10/2024 at 12:11 AM, Hepcat said:

Oh wow! Some nice romance, including Konga's Revenge!

:luhv:

Have you ever read Konga's Revenge, tough guy?? How do you know Konga and the giant lizard monster he fights on the cover don't end up in a committed relationship?

On 3/10/2024 at 9:33 PM, mrwoogieman said:

I think I went there with Dam60...

Haven't heard that name in quite a while.

He was always really nice and should come back and start posting again.

On 3/10/2024 at 10:40 PM, Domo Arigato said:
On 3/10/2024 at 10:33 PM, mrwoogieman said:

I think I went there with Dam60...

Haven't heard that name in quite a while.

He was always really nice and should come back and start posting again.

Yeah, Dave was a great boardie. Gene and Brian might have been there as well, I can't recall exacly - it was 100 years ago!

I have heard about this legendary place for years. But what a mess. How would anyone find anything in there? Where be the “good stuff”? Or is there any at all?

How would anyone ever clean this out? It sure doesn’t sound like he is giving away anything…

Joe's place would best be described as organized chaos. My approach was not to look for anything specific. I'd just walk down the aisles and let the books find me. 

If they wholesale out their whole inventory this would be the end of an era. On the other hand if they just close the warehouse and keep selling comics it would be like the old days seeing their ads in the Buyers Guide and doing mail order from them.

On 3/11/2024 at 3:55 PM, Mike Bray said:

I must have ordered 200 copies of Creepy#1 from Joe back in the early 90`s--- good times.

Judging from the videos, all of the really good comics stocked in bulk have been snapped up long ago.  Some okay reader material, but a shadow of what was available at its peak.

Edited by Ken Aldred