• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did CGC damage my comic?
2 2

14 posts in this topic

I sent in what I would call a more or less perfect copy of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Adventures #1 to be pressed and graded. The two photos I have here are photos I took of the front and back cover prior to sending it in to CGC. Obviously the photos were taken prior to being pressed. I have not yet received the comic back from CGC yet but the comic received a grade of 7.5 with the graders notes stating that there was a full bend on the front cover. There were no bends, folds, creases, or anything of that nature when I sent the comic to CGC. Does this happen a lot? Has anybody else had their comics develop mysterious damage that was not there when the comic was shipped to CGC? This was a great looking book that I thought would get a grade of 9.6 or 9.8. Then all of a sudden the cover gets folded in half prior to grading. I don’t get it.

IMG_5335.jpeg

IMG_5336.jpeg

IMG_5517.jpeg

Edited by Joel0109

Who did the pressing? I'm not seeing anything in your pictures w/o a press that should bring it down to 7.5 much less with one. If you could post the cert. # or a pic of the slab it would be helpful.

Kinda looks like a slight bend in the pics though...above the "d" in "and"...could be lighting I guess.

It probably didnt get pressed and maybe had the type of bend only the expert eye can catch.

On 3/13/2024 at 8:25 PM, Joel0109 said:

I sent in what I would call a more or less perfect copy of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Adventures #1 to be pressed and graded. The two photos I have here are photos I took of the front and back cover prior to sending it in to CGC. Obviously the photos were taken prior to being pressed. I have not yet received the comic back from CGC yet but the comic received a grade of 7.5 with the graders notes stating that there was a full bend on the front cover. There were no bends, folds, creases, or anything of that nature when I sent the comic to CGC. Does this happen a lot? Has anybody else had their comics develop mysterious damage that was not there when the comic was shipped to CGC? This was a great looking book that I thought would get a grade of 9.6 or 9.8. Then all of a sudden the cover gets folded in half prior to grading. I don’t get it.

IMG_5335.jpeg

IMG_5336.jpeg

IMG_5517.jpeg

They may have damaged it.

They may have mixed it up with someone else's book.

We've seen both here.

Either way, will be a hard fight getting it sorted.  Good luck.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if CGC damaged the books - I have sent several brand new, flat as a pancake books with corners to die for - what I would consider easy 9.8s - and they have come back with similar graders notes (or not at all), with grades ranging from 8.5-9.4 - two of them were SS books that somehow gained color breaking creases in the same location, so those 2 are done.  : /

fwiw, 2 of the 8.5 books I sent back in to be repressed and regraded: one came back a 9.8, and the other a 9.6, so part of me thinks it's mishandling and/or luck of the draw with graders, or CGC just looking to cash in a little more. 

I also think CGC's customer support is well above the normal bar, so if you reach out to them and complain and show them the evidence, they may be able to credit you for a follow up pressing, which is probably the best you're going to do (you'll still likely end up paying for the regrade tho, so kind of a mixed bag).

I'm going to post this here, but I just got back an SS book from CGC, that definitely picked up some damage in CGC's hands.

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4406893001/

Grader notes say 'spine stress lines breaks color' - this was an easy 9.8 - the one 'before' pic I have looks like there might have been a very small bend in the book before it made it finally to CGC, but does not look like it broke color, so either the pressing or the handling probably did the damage.

I'm not too worried about the 9.6, but I have 9.8s that have equally obvious damage, and I don't see any other issues with the book, so knocking it down to 9.6 is kinda lame. 

image.thumb.png.df9b508b20a68b22ca6a7126cec913c2.png

On 4/18/2024 at 2:14 PM, Poekaymon said:

Eh, these two pics are showing the same thing, just the "before" is out of focus.  I see this all the time on ebay books when one pic is soft.

Agreed. The VG+ photography doesn't really disguise that the book absolutely already had a color-breaking spine tick.

On 4/18/2024 at 3:19 PM, Qalyar said:

The VG+ photography

ouch! lol 

I zoomed in a bit, as it was hard to even tell it was there at regular resolution, below:

image.jpeg.e84750eca22adc2cc2db5b2cd82c1ac9.jpeg

Still think it seems pretty minor for the grade knock tho.

On 4/18/2024 at 2:29 PM, dbcn said:

ouch! lol 

I zoomed in a bit, as it was hard to even tell it was there at regular resolution, below:

image.jpeg.e84750eca22adc2cc2db5b2cd82c1ac9.jpeg

Still think it seems pretty minor for the grade knock tho.

I kid, I kid. My own comic photography skills are bad bad.

More seriously, these sorts of color breaks are always sort of a lottery. If they get 9.8s, people whine about gift grades; if they get 9.6s, people ask why this break mattered but that break over there didn't. It's probably not fair, but it's a trope for a reason: I think the grade loss is more likely against a black field than with whatever other color cover. Probably just because the contrast is more dramatic. 

On 4/18/2024 at 3:39 PM, Qalyar said:

My own comic photography skills are bad bad.

same haha

I'm just more annoyed because I wouldn't have sent in a book to be signed & graded with a visible color break, and yet somewhere in process someone wasn't careful (or the break happened in pressing) and the end result is a lower grade than I would have hoped - I have complete faith in the facilitator, so I'm looking at CGC - it's just disappointing, and not the first (nor last, I suspect) time it's happened to me.