• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auction has just started and set a new record for Action #1.
7 7

255 posts in this topic

On 4/8/2024 at 7:13 PM, Daveb25 said:

Of course. The rust gets worse thus the contrast to the paper makes the pages seem more white. We should all strive to collect rusty staple books and just hold onto them until it’s time to regrade for an upgrade in page quality. 

Truth!

:)

On 4/8/2024 at 9:15 PM, tth2 said:

It just demonstrates that the things that are so very important to us mean absolutely nothing to almost everyone else on the planet.

Ain’t that the truth.

On 4/8/2024 at 10:50 AM, sfcityduck said:

Here's a clearer pic of Mitch and his seemingly nice copy of Action 1 from a press photo that was once auctioned (hence the watermark).  If you want to know whether you own the original World Record Action 1, there appears to be a stamp on the comic to the right of the N in Action that has two lines.

.image.jpeg.80feb3701ff9ace4029c94c4a94c3fec.jpeg

Sold way too soon, left a lot of money on the table. :baiting:

On 4/8/2024 at 1:30 PM, CGC Mike said:
On 4/8/2024 at 1:24 PM, Mmehdy said:

I did an interesting interview on the 6M$ sale of the Action #1 on the new collectable website called "cllct.com"..when you come up on the page, go to news and my interview will be the 3/4 th down. If someone wants to link it...it would be great...I think I was spot on!

This was a very important milestone sale.

https://www.cllct.com/cllct/posts/meet-the-man-who-always-believed-in-the-world-s-most-expensive-comic-book

Good article. There's one thing that appears a be amiss in the article, unless I'm missing something. The article says that if Mitch's copy were a 5 today it would be worth around $300,000 today.  Did the author mean to say $3,000,000 (i.e. a simple typo), or was the author's estimate just way off?

Edited by Superman2006

Mitch is an old school collector who is coy about what he owns, usually only referencing what he's sold (I'm still blown away he bought the Krigstein Master Race OA off of Russ Cochran). 

And although he reveals some aspects of the story of the world record Action 1 in this story I've never seen before (like he had three copies at one point), still he was coy in the interview:

After news of his purchase circulated, Mehdy got calls from all over the country from people saying they had Action Comics No. 1. Mehdy bought two more for $1,000 each, and by 1974, he had three.

Having sunk $3,800 into three copies, he decided to recoup some of his investment. He said he sold one in 1975 for $2,500 and another in 1976 for $4,000.

"I'm a math guy," Mehdy said. "I had made $2,700, and I still had my best copy."

Mehdy continued to collect comics and follow the memorabilia world, throughout college and law school.

Did Mehdy hold onto at least one of his Action Comics No. 1?

"For a variety of reasons, I have to say, 'No comment," Mehdy said.

Why's he being coy? Still owns all or part of that Action 1?

Interesting. Playing coy to avoid detailing his final sale details or something else? Mitch once opined on this site that the reasons that folks don't CGC their comics is that they don't want to do so until they want to sell or they want to see what their "competition" for the best copy has gotten as a grade. He basically stated that there are Action Comics 1 owners in a standoff waiting to see how others' books grade out. Talking about himself? Only Mitch can answer -- but he demonstrated in the interview that he won't. :baiting: 

On 4/10/2024 at 1:21 AM, Silver Surfer said:

I wish those under bidders at $5M, $6M would post in these forums or elsewhere, funny how you never hear of or see any of these buyers.  

The whole point of being that rich is you don't have to hang out with the little people anymore.

On 4/9/2024 at 10:49 AM, sfcityduck said:

Mitch is an old school collector who is coy about what he owns, usually only referencing what he's sold (I'm still blown away he bought the Krigstein Master Race OA off of Russ Cochran). 

And although he reveals some aspects of the story of the world record Action 1 in this story I've never seen before (like he had three copies at one point), still he was coy in the interview:

Why's he being coy? Still owns all or part of that Action 1?

Interesting. Playing coy to avoid detailing his final sale details or something else? Mitch once opined on this site that the reasons that folks don't CGC their comics is that they don't want to do so until they want to sell or they want to see what their "competition" for the best copy has gotten as a grade. He basically stated that there are Action Comics 1 owners in a standoff waiting to see how others' books grade out. Talking about himself? Only Mitch can answer -- but he demonstrated in the interview that he won't. :baiting: 

Frankly, that’s up to Mitch. He obviously had his own personal reasons and I respect that. It is really none of our business what he or any other collector owns. There are other board members here that probably have jaw dropping books and don’t share either.

Not that I’m anything more than a minnow in this pond, I have no problem sharing most of my stuff. There are things I have kept my trap shut on for my own reasons, but generally, I am a lover of junk and enjoy posting stuff that might be fun for others.

Back to the recent Action #1 sale. Wasn’t this collection originally found by Don and Maggie Thompson back in the Stone Age? I wonder what Maggie feels about this sale?