• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auction has just started and set a new record for Action #1.
7 7

255 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2024 at 2:09 PM, waaaghboss said:
On 3/30/2024 at 7:56 PM, Vintage_Paper said:

Thanks for sharing this. If you or anyone else find examples of additional issues with a star on the corner - please let me know. Even if your reading this thread 20 years in the future.

Just small stats in the corner?  I feel like I've seen several, but the stars are usually different, sometimes large, red, in a circle etc.  Also seen a number of pulps with stars.

It's the Sneetches :gossip:

143056e8473127ab6a665773884132bc--dr-seuss-sneetches-dr-suess-3404928184.jpg

On 4/1/2024 at 7:15 PM, sfcityduck said:

Anyone notice that this thread and some others have stars next them in the index whereas many others have circles? [cue eerie music]!

On 4/1/2024 at 7:22 PM, MattTheDuck said:

aliens.jpg

If I remember correctly those are based on how many recent views/posts certain threads/posts get .

Similar to the way mods can pin things to the top, but by an algorithm and numbers.  

What does everyone think of the relatively high number of very high value comics being flipped in the recent past with big losses? Need for cash, not reading the market correctly or something more ominous?

On 4/4/2024 at 7:03 AM, BFA1971 said:

What does everyone think of the relatively high number of very high value comics being flipped in the recent past with big losses? Need for cash, not reading the market correctly or something more ominous?

anyone with the wherewithal to gather these books ain’t likely to be dumb or unaware of market conditions. I like to think the sale of these big books simply marks the end of someone’s odyssey thru the collecting arc. When the thrill is gone, just let em go, no matter what the music is doing at the time. 

But then again, of course, I can’t discount the “ominous” part of your query(as the world moves toward electronic images and away from good old fashioned printed media, the effects will blow back on the funny book business, blah blah blah)

and as AJD says below, I don’t think we know yet how the market is going to treat these high grade big books. The Action 1 seems to be doing just fine. The 9.2 Cap 1 is still low, but the slugfest is just warming up

:popcorn:

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 4/4/2024 at 11:03 PM, BFA1971 said:

In part we're seeing a correction of an over-inflated market during covid, though golden age is less affected than silver or later. And a lot of those losses are the hyped Promise collection, which generated sales at prices that seemed high at the time and now we know they were. I'd say gold is doing fine.

On 4/4/2024 at 8:03 AM, BFA1971 said:

Tax-loss harvesting? (shrug)

(Not solely; just in the mix too)

On 4/4/2024 at 2:03 PM, BFA1971 said:

Any examples of crazy deficit flips?

On 4/4/2024 at 2:30 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

anyone with the wherewithal to gather these books ain’t likely to be dumb or unaware of market conditions. I like to think the sale of these big books simply marks the end of someone’s odyssey thru the collecting arc. When the thrill is gone, just let em go, no matter what the music is doing at the time. 

But then again, of course, I can’t discount the “ominous” part of your query(as the world moves toward electronic images and away from good old fashioned printed media, the effects will blow back on the funny book business, blah blah blah)

and as AJD says below, I don’t think we know yet how the market is going to treat these high grade big books. The Action 1 seems to be doing just fine. The 9.2 Cap 1 is still low, but the slugfest is just warming up

:popcorn:

The suggested prospect of the emergence of digitalization devaluing Action 1 is like saying that the invention of photography should have devalued the Mona Lisa.

On 4/4/2024 at 2:42 PM, AJD said:

In part we're seeing a correction of an over-inflated market during covid, though golden age is less affected than silver or later. And a lot of those losses are the hyped Promise collection, which generated sales at prices that seemed high at the time and now we know they were. I'd say gold is doing fine.

Yeah, lots of dim wits getting their as@@ kicked by Promise books!

Edited by Mr bla bla

On 4/4/2024 at 1:52 PM, Readcomix said:

Tax-loss harvesting? (shrug)

(Not solely; just in the mix too)

I was thinking this or could it possibly even be dare I say it money laundering?

On 4/4/2024 at 1:30 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

When the thrill is gone, just let em go, no matter what the music is doing at the time. 

This makes sense!

On 4/4/2024 at 2:45 PM, Mr bla bla said:

Any examples of crazy deficit flips?

I have to go back over my tracks to look but I think there was a loss on a Superman 1 recently that was bought and put on for sale again at a big loss for examole...also an All Star 8 I think