• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auction has just started and set a new record for Action #1.
7 7

255 posts in this topic

On 4/5/2024 at 2:24 AM, BFA1971 said:

It's a different style but this one is not bad either if you haven't seen it:

Headline Comics #8

We need October to post his copy @october

On 4/5/2024 at 1:40 AM, tth2 said:

But they pale in comparison to whoever flipped the 9.8 TOS 39 in this auction.  A $1.2m loss! 

When did that book sell for $2mm? 

On 4/6/2024 at 3:18 AM, sfcityduck said:
On 4/5/2024 at 4:40 PM, tth2 said:

But they pale in comparison to whoever flipped the 9.8 TOS 39 in this auction.  A $1.2m loss! 

Sad story. Reminds me of the guy who bought and sold the Flash Comics MH run.

Jay Perrino?

On 4/6/2024 at 1:00 PM, FFB said:
On 4/5/2024 at 4:40 PM, tth2 said:

When did that book sell for $2mm? 

It's listed on Clink somewhere.

On 4/6/2024 at 7:14 AM, tth2 said:

It's listed on Clink somewhere.

Ok, so that explains why it doesn't show up in GPA.

What a crazy loss on that book. 

On 4/6/2024 at 10:43 AM, sfcityduck said:

I think it was Keller (sp?)

Correct.

An example of the MH Flash run - bought $53K/sold $40K:

Flash Comics #2 Mile High pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC NM 9.4 White pages. Hawkman's first full comic book cover came in this issue, and having seen the copy just below this one on the census, a NM- 9.2, it's hard to believe that just one grade separates them. Our Mile High offering has much sharper corners, a tighter spine, and better page quality. The red area at the top looks absolutely immaculate here. This copy was even pictured in Ernst Gerber's Photo-Journal, as well it should have been, as this is undoubtedly the finest surviving specimen of the issue. Dennis Neville is the cover artist. CGC notes, "Very minor amount of glue on spine of cover." Overstreet 2010 NM- 9.2 value = $15,000. CGC census 10/10: 1 in 9.4, none higher. From the Gary Keller Collection.

image.png

On 4/6/2024 at 11:28 AM, DanCooper said:

Correct.

Flash Comics #2 Mile High pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC NM 9.4 White pages. Hawkman's first full comic book cover came in this issue, and having seen the copy just below this one on the census, a NM- 9.2, it's hard to believe that just one grade separates them. Our Mile High offering has much sharper corners, a tighter spine, and better page quality. The red area at the top looks absolutely immaculate here. This copy was even pictured in Ernst Gerber's Photo-Journal, as well it should have been, as this is undoubtedly the finest surviving specimen of the issue. Dennis Neville is the cover artist. CGC notes, "Very minor amount of glue on spine of cover." Overstreet 2010 NM- 9.2 value = $15,000. CGC census 10/10: 1 in 9.4, none higher. From the Gary Keller Collection.

image.png

This actually wasn't too bad.

Keller lost between 30 and 40% on the majority of his books, and the GA Flash run was just part of that sale.

Edited by adamstrange

On 4/5/2024 at 1:23 PM, Professor K said:

Yep that was one of the big surprises. 25k, 30 maybe. But 50k,  gee whiz.

Was shocked too at that price. I believe my max bid was around $23k. When I saw the final hammer price I was just :whatthe: :jawdrop:

On 4/6/2024 at 8:28 AM, DanCooper said:

Correct.

image.png

Love this cover.

On 4/6/2024 at 11:51 PM, adamstrange said:

Keller lost between 30 and 40% on the majority of his books, and the GA Flash run was just part of that sale.

Shows how much bigger the dollars have gotten over the course of a decade.  Keller's total losses in absolute dollar terms are dwarfed by the losses of these recent consignees.  The loss taken on the 9.8 TOS 39 alone is probably a multiple of Keller's total losses.  

On 4/5/2024 at 3:18 PM, sfcityduck said:

I don't understand. Why is the story sad?

???

On 4/7/2024 at 1:35 PM, Hepcat said:
On 4/6/2024 at 3:18 AM, sfcityduck said:

I don't understand. Why is the story sad?

???

Because he took a huge loss.

Well sometimes they go up; sometimes they go down. Everybody who trades stocks, bonds, commodities, financial futures, etc. knows that. If you treat and trade comics the same way, you might lose money. There's no reason why a profit should be guaranteed. A man has every bit as much right to a loss as a profit.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

I don’t know if anyone’s heard about this, at least I think I saw it correctly on CGC’s instagram page. They just graded a brand new action 1 and it’s an 8.5 with white pages! Was this an upgrade or an undiscovered copy?!

On 4/7/2024 at 2:12 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I don’t know if anyone’s heard about this, at least I think I saw it correctly on CGC’s instagram page. They just graded a brand new action 1 and it’s an 8.5 with white pages! Was this an upgrade or an undiscovered copy?!

Not sure how this was freshly graded.  The book was graded in 2017.  I'm guessing it was just simply re-holdered?

Action 1 CGC 8.5.jpg